Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac XT4

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18 | 02:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Well, it's not only this thread, but most threads including your own reviews of vehicles that don't even have e-shifters. You always find a way to criticize them. I think for those who frequent CL we all know how you feel about the shifter. It's time to put it to a rest and move on.

To Jill, as for controls on the XT5, for one it took me a week to figure out how to turn the radio off since there is no on/off **** like every vehicle I've ever owned. Also, being the first touch screen I've owned there is volume slider control that is right where one's wrist rests when trying to use the screen causing wild volume fluctuations until I learned to **** my wrist to avoid the slider. But all is well now after a learning curve much like Marrshall took to learn the e-shifter but still can't accept it. More switches and ***** on the XT4 is an improvement over the XT5 which Cadillac must have realized their mistake.
I agree. Let’s put the e shifter to bed. If it were such a detriment, you can always trade in the vehicle. At this point, going on an on about it is just pointless.

As for your XT5, thanks for the feedback and comments. It’s too bad Cadillac did not put a dial. But, I assume you can use the steering wheel controls?
Old 03-31-18 | 03:00 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I agree. Let’s put the e shifter to bed. If it were such a detriment, you can always trade in the vehicle. At this point, going on an on about it is just pointless.

As for your XT5, thanks for the feedback and comments. It’s too bad Cadillac did not put a dial. But, I assume you can use the steering wheel controls?
I can only control the volume on the steering wheel, no way to turn the radio on/off though.
Old 03-31-18 | 03:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I can only control the volume on the steering wheel, no way to turn the radio on/off though.
Have you tried holding down the mode (FM/AM) button? My Corolla, and 4Runner turns off the radio if I hold it. It’s sort of a hidden feature you may have on you GM model.
Old 03-31-18 | 03:26 PM
Hoovey689

Have you tried holding down the mode (FM/AM) button? My Corolla, and 4Runner turns off the radio if I hold it. It’s sort of a hidden feature you may have on you GM model.
On newer Lexus's that function no longer turns the power on or off, rather it mutes or unmutes the audio. Basically Lexus's with Gen7 (2013ish +) navigation and up. My 08 does what you describe. But yes it's possible some of the Cadillac controls have dual functions.
Old 03-31-18 | 03:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
On newer Lexus's that function no longer turns the power on or off, rather it mutes or unmutes the audio. Basically Lexus's with Gen7 (2013ish +) navigation and up. My 08 does what you describe. But yes it's possible some of the Cadillac controls have dual functions.
Thanks for this info. I wonder if my 14 Corolla turns off or just mutes. I am gonna look next time. My 4Runner definitely turns off and beeps, not sure what the Matrix does.
Old 03-31-18 | 08:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't kid yourself.....it happens more often than you'd think. I've come across it several times in my reviews. It's just a styling trick...because of the notion (which, personally, I don't happen to agree with) that, in this class, RWD trump FWD.
That is pathetic if a company does that to try to fool the owner the engine in mounted longitudinally when it is really mounted transversely, I have never heard of that.
Old 03-31-18 | 08:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I think you are full of it. The dash is beautiful. You continually criticize the same shifter you bought! There is nothing wrong with it. I'm glad to see more buttons/switches added to the dash. My XT5 has none and controls are not easy to use.
Have to agree, I think the interior looks pretty good, better then what they have been doing, nice to see more physical buttons come back.
Old 03-31-18 | 08:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Try as I might, I just do not like GM interiors. Something about the way they style them the typeface of their switchgear, material and finish choices. I can’t think of one that I genuinely like...
Old 03-31-18 | 09:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Try as I might, I just do not like GM interiors. Something about the way they style them the typeface of their switchgear, material and finish choices. I can’t think of one that I genuinely like...

What did you think of the 7Gen Malibu's interior? I thought that was one of the best interiors GM did in modern times.....more so than in the newest Malibus. It also came in monotone for those who didn't care for the two-tone.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-31-18 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-31-18 | 09:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What did you think of the 7Gen Malibu's interior? I thought that was one of the best interiors GM did in modern times.....more so than in the newest Malibus. It also came in monotone for those who didn't care for the two-tone.

No dice for me. I liked a lot stuff by GM in the 80s

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-31-18 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-01-18 | 04:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That's the thing about the XT4. From the pix, it looks like they are using a different font, or something. This interior, from the less-than-detailed pix, looks to me like a vast improvement over ATS/CTS interiors. Of course, I reserve judgment until I can see in more detail.
Old 04-01-18 | 07:57 AM
rogerh00
Racer

You must be kidding, I don't see how you can consider this to be the best GM did. No way. I think you are just trying to impress us with your photo library

Last edited by rogerh00; 04-01-18 at 08:05 AM. Reason: add comment
Old 04-01-18 | 08:04 AM
rogerh00
Racer

I did find out how to turn the radio off in a Cadillac forum. On the touch screen there is an icon of a speaker with a red slash diagonal line. Obviously it's to turn the sound off. But unknown to owners is if you hold that touch icon down it will turn the radio off! Please just give me back a simple on/off-volume **** which I think they did in the XT4, yet to be confirmed.
Old 04-01-18 | 08:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Are you serious? That interior is the perfect example of GM hideousness IMHO.

That’s one of the crappiest interiors they’ve ever made...
Old 04-01-18 | 09:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

If we are to take this as true, that THIS is one of the best GM interiors, then you are making everyone else's argument for them.

Quick Reply: Cadillac XT4