Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 ES spy Shots courtesy of The Drive and IAB

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-18, 04:06 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I assume that the 8 speed auto is a given with the V-6.
Old 03-03-18, 10:29 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,368 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Looked like and reminded alot me of the 2012 ES. The back and the Tail Lights.
Old 03-04-18, 12:11 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

For the record, the majority of sedans have come with wraparound taillights for decades. Nothing new and not exclusive to Lexus.
There's still a chance the finished model will not come with those taillights. But if it did, I'd be surprise Lexus fell asleep back there. They've made a big point to add fancy lighting front and back on all models.
Rest of the car looks conservatively elegant, with no crazy, offending body shapes. And yes, love those rims.
Old 03-04-18, 09:10 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Holy heck batman! Look through the front passenger window! The navigation screen looks vertical and huge. Might be a ski slope like the Avalon....

I was not able to find enough details in the spy shots to convince me one way or another whether the new ES will have an instrument panel similar to the Avalon's ski slope design.

One thought I had was that this is an engineering prototype coming out of the Camry-Avalon-ES plant in Kentucky (the spy shots are obviously taken in the USA), and so it may (still) be using bits and pieces from other TNGA-K platform cars (namely, Camry and Avalon) while testing.

I am hoping that the new ES has an instrument panel that is similar to the new design language introduced on the LC, new LS and recently confirmed for the new UX. I would prefer a hooded central screen (like the LC and LS) but, if not, a design like the UX, with the screen sitting closer to the base of the windshield, rather than looking like a tablet propped up above the centre climate control vents, is acceptable also.

One question: When can we hope to see it introduced? Can we hope for the New York autoshow in April?
Old 03-04-18, 09:27 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

If they go with the RX screen floating, id be having a managers meeting a Lexus Corp asking why was a newly developed chassis line outfitted with dashboard design from the old K platform, while every other new chassis based line (UX.LC/LS) got the hidden screen. Someone dropped the ball and decided HEY, were gonna be different can outfit all of our vehicles differently.
Old 03-04-18, 10:53 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I was not able to find enough details in the spy shots to convince me one way or another whether the new ES will have an instrument panel similar to the Avalon's ski slope design.

One thought I had was that this is an engineering prototype coming out of the Camry-Avalon-ES plant in Kentucky (the spy shots are obviously taken in the USA), and so it may (still) be using bits and pieces from other TNGA-K platform cars (namely, Camry and Avalon) while testing.

I am hoping that the new ES has an instrument panel that is similar to the new design language introduced on the LC, new LS and recently confirmed for the new UX. I would prefer a hooded central screen (like the LC and LS) but, if not, a design like the UX, with the screen sitting closer to the base of the windshield, rather than looking like a tablet propped up above the centre climate control vents, is acceptable also.

One question: When can we hope to see it introduced? Can we hope for the New York autoshow in April?
I was a little dramatic lol. It has a shape reminiscent of recent Lexus navigation's which are more rounded on the top corners than the Avalon one. It likely won't be a 'waterfall' design, and more Horizontal Layers like current Lexus
Old 03-05-18, 06:54 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Love the ski jump center console, let's hope it's touchscreen instead of the horrific mouse touch thingy they've been using for too long. The rear lights look a bit like the Sonata but Toyota/Lexus used that design first. The 2013-2015 cars also use a similar outline for both headlights and tails, you can see how the lights fit each other in profile.

I'm not keen on the length increase though - the ES is already a long car and it's not like there's not enough rear leg room. The ES is a weird duck because it's among the cheapest premium/luxury cars around yet it's big and comfy. It continues to sell well whereas large sedans like the LaCrosse and Taurus are dead. Looks like Lexus has this segment all to itself.