Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda CX-5 diesel in the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-18, 07:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Mazda CX-5 diesel in the U.S.?

Hope this isn't a re-post (I did several different thread-searches).

With all the talk lately on Car Chat of diesels being a dying breed (and, let's face it.....the VW scandal certainly didn't help), Mazda is apparently going to buck that trend and offer a diesel version of the CX-5 in the U.S. (so is Kia, with a diesel Sorento, but that is an issue in another thread). Mazda does have a reference on its web-site, but is being mum about the details unless one signs up.

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/2017-cx-5-diesel

There are some other references, though, that offer at least some insight. Here is what IMO is probably the best and most thorough one, though it deals with a right-hand-drive/metric Australian version.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-rev...-cx-5-gt-66829Mazda CX-5 2018 review: GT diesel

January 18, 2018
Second-gen Mazda CX-5 makes the best better.Expert Rating

7.9/10
What we like
  • Great looking
  • Good value
  • Good safety package
What we don't
  • No Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
  • Still small in the boot
  • MZD Connect starting to look its age
Price Guide$28,690 - $49,990

Based on new car retail price

See pricing and specification for 2018 Mazda CX-5 RangeThe Mazda CX-5 was a genuine phenomenon. It pretty much came out of nowhere and knocked off a few cars we previously thought had an unassailable grasp on the Australian SUV budget.

Even more extraordinary was the fact the stylish CX-5 came from a company that had given us a fairly bland decade of cars, after a flourish in the late '90s descended into a series of dull boxes (although the 3 did signal a revival).

I drove a first-gen CX-5 late in its life and found it hard to believe it needed replacing. But in 2017 that's exactly what Mazda did. Fresh sheetmetal, lots of detail work, and a new interior were all dropped on to a lightly updated chassis to give us the second-generation CX-5.

And a lot faces ended up buried in hands at other car companies because it turns out Mazda did a smashing job second time around.Does it represent good value for the price? What features does it come with?

The GT sits towards the top of a typically complex Mazda range that includes front or all-wheel drive, petrol and diesel engines, and a choice of manual gearbox or auto transmission.

Only the fully-loaded Akera is pricier. Kicking off at $44,390 for the petrol auto, the price rises $3000 to $47,390 for the diesel we had over Christmas.

The GT scores a 7.0-inch touchscreen with a 10-speaker Bose stereo.

Standard for your money is a 10-speaker Bose-branded stereo with digital radio, 19-inch alloy wheels, dual-zone climate control, reversing camera, keyless entry and start, a whopper of a safety package, front and rear parking sensors, cruise control, electric front seats, LED foglights, active automatic LED headlights, sat nav, auto wipers, head-up display, leather trim, electric tailgate, powered and heated folding mirrors, power windows, a sunroof and space saver spare tyre.

Few things are missing in this spec, but the lack of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is frustrating (although not uncommon in the segment). Mazda's 'MZD Connect' multimedia is reasonably good, however, and with 10 speakers and basic-but-useful smartphone integration, you should get by.

Presumably, the lowish-res 7.0-inch touchscreen is part of the reason Apple and Android aren't along for the ride.

The 17-inch alloys are standard too, and the only option is the 'Soul Red' paint finish.

The only option is the gorgeous 'Soul Red' paint finish of our test car, an entirely reasonable $300.Is there anything interesting about its design?

If the first CX-5 impressed with its understated good looks, the new one goes further by being a very pretty car. Mazda's 'Kodo' design language looks good at just about any size, but this latest evolution puts the CX-5 in genuinely beautiful territory.

This latest evolution puts the CX-5 in genuinely beautiful territory.

The slimmer headlights work well with a longer-looking nose and a body that looks more pulled down over the wheels. Despite bearing more than a passing resemblance to the old car, all the panels are new and that's partly because a shift of the A-pillars of just 35mm was enough to make everything move.

The cabin has come in for a much bigger change. There wasn't a great deal wrong with the old one, but it was feeling a bit old, and some of the materials weren't quite there. As ever, the CX-5's first generation launched into a completely different, rather more sparse segment. With competition from all sides, the new interior had to deliver a more premium feel.

With improved plastics and fittings, a more cohesive design (something simple like consistent fonts go a long, long way to giving that impression) and the sort of detail improvements I've come to expect from Mazda, the new interior is lighter, feels better, and looks better. Job done.

The new interior is lighter, feels better, and looks better.

Having said all of that, I can't really recommend the white leather. It looked pretty good with the red exterior and well-judged interior materials, but it's unlikely kids will be kind to it.How practical is the space inside?

Never a class-leader in the spaciousness department, this CX-5 is still at the rear of the pack, but it hardly seems to matter. Boot space is up by 39 litres to 442 (VDA) with the seats up, tripling to 1342 litres with the seats down. The seatback is split 40/20/40 and you can drop each section individually, which is unusually generous.

Once you're in, there is plenty of leg and headroom for rear passengers.

The CX-5 has four cupholders (a pair up front and a pair in the rear centre armrest), a tray for your phone, bottle holders in each door and vents for the rear seat. Courtesy of a new higher centre console, the storage bin is deeper and also hides two USB ports.

The new car isn't any bigger, so the rear door aperture is still on the tight side compared to, say, Volkswagen's Tiguan or Hyundai's Tucson. It doesn't seem to bother owners I've spoken to, but it's worth noting.

Boot space is up by 39 litres to 442 (VDA) with the seats up.

Once you're in, there is plenty of leg and headroom for rear passengers, providing the driver or front passenger isn't a Canadian Redwood.What are the key stats for the engine and transmission?

The 2.2-litre 'SkyActiv' diesel is the only turbo in the range, for now at least. Developing 129kW and a very decent 420Nm, it has a portly 1744kg to move. Power reaches the road through all four wheels via a traditional six-speed automatic.

Mazda's 2.2-litre 'SkyActiv' diesel produces 129kW/420Nm.

The diesel is also fitted with technology to reduce the clatter reaching the cabin, start-stop tech and Mazda's 'G-Vectoring Control'.

Towing capacity is rated at 1800kg for braked trailers and 750kg unbraked.How much fuel does it consume?

The sticker on the windscreen reckons you'll get 6.0L/100km on the combined cycle while exhaling 158g/km of CO2. With a 58-litre tank, that suggests a range just short of 1000km. And you know what? You might be able to do that if you don't spend too much time in traffic.

Mazda's 'i-stop' technology meant that over three weeks, we averaged 7.8L/100km in mostly urban and suburban driving. While that's a bit above the combined figure, it's not far off the urban number, 7.0L/100km.What's it like to drive?

The CX-5 has always been at or near the top of the medium SUV heap when it comes to the drive. The same couldn't be said for overall refinement. The old car suffered quite a bit from a classic (and fading) Mazda fault - cabin noise. The front suspension was the worst offender, with every bump, thunk and pop reaching your ears, along with tyre roar.

It wasn't insurmountable - you could just turn up the stereo - but around town you got used to a cacophony of noise.

The new CX-5 - as with most major updates - has changed all that. While the underbits have barely changed (testament to the popularity of the car and the quality of its fundamentals), every spare gap has been filled with noise deadening materials, there's more carpet and just more stuff to reduce the racket. While it's not exactly silent, it's not far off the Tiguan, which is arguably the class benchmark.

As before, it's a lovely thing to drive. Easy-going but accurate steering, a firm but compliant ride (this car is not intended for off-roading) and a responsive transmission all combine to make life very relaxed behind the wheel.

The star of this car is the 2.2 diesel. Quiet, smooth and distinctly un-diesel in its aural character (inside at least), it makes the CX-5 a proper all-rounder. It cruises at speed in sixth, overtakes with just a little bit of toe pressure and is quite frugal, coming reasonably close to matching its claimed figures. Around town there is little lag to deal with and the power comes on nice and smooth.

The only complaint we had was that the blind spot monitor is perhaps a little over-enthusiastic, seemingly beeping every time we used the indicator to change lanes.What safety equipment is fitted? What safety rating?

ANCAP safety rating
To achieve a five star ANCAP safety rating, Mazda fits six airbags, ABS, stability and traction controls, reversing camera, blind spot monitoring, reverse cross traffic alert, front and rear auto emergency braking (AEB) and speed sign recognition (which is easily fooled by, a) school zone signs, and, b) the appalling sign placements on Sydney's South Dowling Street).

Further to that package is a pair of ISOFIX points and three top-tether anchors.

The CX-5 earned its five star rating in September 2017. If you want lane keep assist and active cruise, you'll have to step up to the Akera.What does it cost to own? What warranty is offered?

Warranty

Basic warranty

3 years / unlimited km warrantyMazda's three-year/unlimited kilometre warranty is part of the CX-5 package, along with capped price servicing. Roadside assist is offered at $68.10 per year.

Your dealer will expect to see you every six months or 10,000km and will charge you between $317 on three of the five scheduled services, $387 for the second and $359 for the fourth. Extra items include $69 for the cabin air filter (every 40,000km) and $64 for brake fluid every 40,000km or two years.

2min Insurance Quote
Finance your car
Pricing & SpecsVerdict

The new CX-5 has certainly picked up where the old one left off, and is better in every way. The new diesel is a cracker and the safety package belongs on a much more expensive car.

Mazda has lead the way for so long and the CX-5 was such an accomplished car, a face-lift barely seemed necessary. While it's not all-new from the ground up, this is the kind of thing Mazda has taken to doing really well - every time we drive a freshened-up machine, it's those little details that add up to the feeling a lot of work has gone on to build on a solid base.

And with this diesel engine, the big wheels and those sharp looks, the CX-5 has something for pretty much everyone.Is the new CX-5 enough to take on the competition. Or did Mazda even need it at all? Let us know in the comments.

Click here for more 2018 Mazda CX-5 pricing and specs infoEXPERT RATING

7.9/10

REVIEWED & DRIVEN BY
Peter Anderson
CarsGuide
  • Price and features
  • Design
  • Practicality
  • Engine & trans
  • Fuel consumption
  • Driving
  • Safety
  • Ownership
1 Comments

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-03-18 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-03-18, 07:52 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

A diesel Mazda in North America will have to be seen to be believed. A diesel in the Mazda6 (or was that a diesel in one of its crossovers?) has been talked about since the earth cooled. Mazda could never get it right -- could never get it to be compliant with the tough American emissions regulations.

Don't get your hopes up ("2017 CX-5 Diesel"?) and don't keep your fingers crossed, for fear that you will not be able to uncross them after keeping them crossed so long.

I am willing to bet that a Mazda hybrid crossover (Mazda already licenses the Toyota Hybrid system in Japan) appears in North America before a diesel does.
Old 03-03-18, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
A diesel Mazda in North America will have to be seen to be believed. A diesel in the Mazda6 (or was that a diesel in one of its crossovers?) has been talked about since the earth cooled. Mazda could never get it right -- could never get it to be compliant with the tough American emissions regulations.

Yes, for an American-spec version, I agree that they are going to be cautious, take their time, and do their best to get it right....especially after the bad VW publicity.

That's why I tried to be careful not to post any junk or click-bait article on the subject. The one I posted, while not necessarily guaranteeing an American-market version, seemed to give some pretty good coverage and insight.

And, yes, it's possible....Mazda just might give up on the project.
Old 03-04-18, 05:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

There is no demand and little interest in a diesel cx5 or any other mazda in the u.s. ain't happening. Nice aussie review though.
Old 03-04-18, 03:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
There is no demand and little interest in a diesel cx5 or any other mazda in the u.s. ain't happening. Nice aussie review though.

Mazda has it on their American-market web-site, but, granted, is rather mum about it.
Old 03-04-18, 03:48 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'm not necessarily a big fan of Scotty K, as his world seems to be if you don't drive a Toyota 4 cyl., you're doing something wrong....but I have to admit he made a very sensible argument against diesel powered passenger car vehicles...it all comes back to how much are people willing to pay to be different? With hybrids and electrics, seems to be a lot. Diesels, not at all.
Old 03-04-18, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kitabel
2 female comments that affect diesel sales and use:
1. I can smell it from 20 feet away
2. I won't ride in one, it makes my clothes and hair smell

Doesn't have to be true, only that they say so.

Are you taking about big truck and train-diesels, or modern automotive Bluetec and TDI/common-rail-injection diesels and low-sulfur diesel fuel, like most cars have nowadays? My experience is that there is a world of difference between the two. Almost all of the automotive diesels I have sampled (or reviewed) in recent years have started and ran pretty much like modern, low-pollution gas engines....with the added benefit of good low-RPM torque for moving out at low speeds.

Now, yes, it's possible that you did have some problems with some of the recent VW automotive diesels...I won't necessarily discount those comments. We all know how VW skewered the engine-computers to make them run clean during the (simulated) EPA tests, only to back off again on the pollutants when the simulated test was over. I don't condone that action, and company officials, of course, have paid dearly for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-05-18 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-05-18, 05:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Weird, my sis in-law had a Passat TDi that was bought back. She's female and she never said anything about the smell, just the poor service at the VW dealership and the numerous items that were not covered under the b2b warranty. The coolant loss at 700 miles was surprising (covered). But the total failure of one headlamp was not covered and they had to pay out-of-pocket. Until the recall, then they got all the money back. But why put customers through that?

I'm still curious how much the check will be from the BMW settlement, shows the irony in our society. I don't feel I was damaged, but I'm automatically in the class unless I choose not to be.
Old 03-05-18, 07:27 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

maybe they have ancient recollections of a london taxi.

modern diesels don't have such issues and young people don't believe those things.

but, with eco-fascism now in vogue, diesels are finished.
Old 03-05-18, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

with eco-fascism now in vogue, diesels are finished.
The way modern passenger-car diesels start, run, and (if serviced properly) non-pollute, I don't see any credible reason why they would be finished...or anywhere near finished. And if people look at them with clear lenses instead of all the propaganda that is written about them, they won't be finished.
Old 03-05-18, 01:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

european cities are looking to ban them but national govts and eu don't want them to because it will hurt jobs.
Old 03-05-18, 01:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

european cities are looking to ban them but national govts and eu don't want them to because it will hurt jobs.
not cities, but political activists like greenpeace are suing cities to auto implement ban when pollution is above certain level (these cities already measure it).

Back to the Mazda, should be fine vehicle....
Old 03-05-18, 08:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Diesel CX-5 interior States? Naw, a hybrid or plug-in variant would be better