Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got my window tint exemption sticker will help others.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18 | 06:25 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This tint law is a bunch of BS and nothing but a tax on everyday hard working people.

Its even more rediculous now since it doesn't apply to SUVs which now outsell sedans!
It kinda applies to suvs they cannot have the front windshield tinted at all as well as front windows tinted past 70%. I agree its bs but it is a law. I was pulled over 9-12 times for tint in a 4 month period, just for tint no speeding or anything else. One time a sherrif pulled me over because he wanted to check out my car, that was actually kinda cool to talk to him he said the tint law is bull*****.

According to my friend whos a trooper she told me that king ******** (Gov. Cuomo) her words not mine, sent out a memo to every police barracks saying he wanted all cars with tinted windows off the road by 2019.

I understand its bs but I actually need it for medical reasons you wouldnt believe what I had to go through to get the sticker. You have to get one per vehicle, so I have to apply for another sticker when I get my wifes rx300.
Old 03-05-18 | 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
It kinda applies to suvs they cannot have the front windshield tinted at all as well as front windows tinted past 70%. I agree its bs but it is a law. I was pulled over 9-12 times for tint in a 4 month period, just for tint no speeding or anything else. One time a sherrif pulled me over because he wanted to check out my car, that was actually kinda cool to talk to him he said the tint law is bull*****.
I agree that tint laws can be BS if they are overdone, but one must remember that those laws (they actually got started in North Carolina) were originally done for good reason. Police were getting shot during routine traffic stops, because they couldn't see inside the vehicles if and when some Jack-a** was pulling out a gun. They still get shot now and then, but, overall, it's easier for them to see inside the vehicles now.
Old 03-05-18 | 08:08 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Not only for law enforcement safety but it also helps being able to see the other driver and make eye contact or see a simple wave at stop controlled intersections. I see far too many limo tinted cars here in Florida that you can't see the driver at all. It seems there is little enforcement here.
Old 03-06-18 | 06:00 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Not only for law enforcement safety but it also helps being able to see the other driver and make eye contact or see a simple wave at stop controlled intersections. I see far too many limo tinted cars here in Florida that you can't see the driver at all. It seems there is little enforcement here.
So why are SUVs, buses and vans allowed to have tint.

Imo it does nothing for police or driver safety at all.
For us as owners its a huge pain because i cant leave anything in the car, my small kids have to suffer because the sun is in their eyes while your sitting in brutal NYC traffic.
This law is for pure harassment and generating revenue.
Same for the dumb front plate law.

If they want safety, have people retake the driving test every 5yrs!
Old 03-06-18 | 07:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

In Illinois if your mini van, CUV, SUV etc. comes with privacy glass on the rear windows, the legal % of tint is different than a vehicle (sedan) with regular factory glass, which has a slight amount of tint, all around. Kind of confusing but any shop can explain it or you can read up on it easily if you want to be legal.
Old 03-06-18 | 07:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Imagine that in Ontario, from my observation, distracted driving has been eradicated. If tints were allowed such that the driver could not be seen from any angle, pretty sure it would be back.

Here in PA, people are pretty confident using an electronic device, in plain view of LE. That in no way is an exaggeration. What bad luck a person would have to have to be summoned for driving and watching imovie at the same time. We had a state rep who can be quoted as saying he will always drive with one hand on a cell phone. Bizzaro.
Old 03-06-18 | 07:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So why are SUVs, buses and vans allowed to have tint.
I don't have the complete answer on that one, but the most likely reason is that because those vehicles tend to have large interiors, a lot of glass area, and be hard to cool in the sun, they might relax some of the tint-standards for them. Also, police usually don't routinely stop buses to do searches, unless there is a report of a disturbance or crime on one.
Old 03-06-18 | 07:12 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

If they want safety, have people retake the driving test every 5yrs!
At least you get a break for taking defensive driving (I did when I lived there). Many other places people only take the course when they drive drunk and are caught, or elderly.

I think that everyone would agree that driving is a privilege.

Therefore, why shouldn't it be

a) like you say

b) only the top 90-93% will pass and be awarded a renewed license?

At some point, yes, a person will no longer have the ability to pass, nor will they be able to drive. There are many professions where not everyone will be able to obtain the licensing needed to perform the job function. It isn't as simple as getting 7 out of 10 correct.
Old 03-06-18 | 07:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't have the complete answer on that one, but the most likely reason is that because those vehicles tend to have large interiors, a lot of glass area, and be hard to cool in the sun, they might relax some of the tint-standards for them. Also, police usually don't routinely stop buses to do searches, unless there is a report of a disturbance or crime on one.
Plus, in vans CUV's etc. without a trunk personal belongings are easily visible in the back of these vehicles hence the use of privacy glass on the rear windows.
Old 03-06-18 | 07:49 AM
rogerh00
Racer

The point is the drivers side glass and the windshield not the rear cargo areas or large windows of buses/vans. Anyone that tints their windshield so that you can't see them is hiding something and needs to be stopped and given a huge fine. Does anyone drive at night with their dark sunglasses?
Old 03-06-18 | 09:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Plus, in vans CUV's etc. without a trunk personal belongings are easily visible in the back of these vehicles hence the use of privacy glass on the rear windows.
That is not true at all.
All modern CUVs/SUVs come with cargo covers, therefore your argument doesn't work here.
Old 03-06-18 | 09:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogerh00
The point is the drivers side glass and the windshield not the rear cargo areas or large windows of buses/vans. Anyone that tints their windshield so that you can't see them is hiding something and needs to be stopped and given a huge fine. Does anyone drive at night with their dark sunglasses?
Should only rich people enjoy the luxury of privacy in their limos, Rolls, Bentleys etc.

I would feel a lot safer If nobody can see my wife and kids in the car as they are easy target not to mention the issue of the sun pointed at the baby especially if you have rear facing baby seat.

Edit: Reread your post and 100% agree about windshield and even the front windows should have 50% limit.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 03-06-18 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-06-18 | 09:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

That is not true at all.
All modern CUVs/SUVs come with cargo covers, therefore your argument doesn't work here.
Not an argument just an observation. Cargo covers need to be removed for larger loads which these vehicles are made for. Mini vans with no can use the privacy from the glaas.
Old 03-10-18 | 07:04 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

I do not think that the windshield should be tinted maybe with that luminair uv stuff but not making it dark, there should be a federal law that regulates window tint and decides how dark you can go, but yah when I get my rx300 in a few months I will have to go through the process again to get another tint exemption sticker, its such a pain in the a$$.
Old 02-24-22 | 09:31 AM
brl121212
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I got my NY state window tint exemption sticker, so I can have tint on my windows. It is illegal for any tint on your windows in NY state that is more than 70% and your car will not pass inspection if you have it.

I am not abusing the system I have actual medical reasons for window tint due to a skull fracture and having my optic nerves knock crooked, so my eyes are overly sensitive to light and do not dilate properly.

I am posting this so if anyone has questions about how to jump through the hoops of getting one for medical reasons, I can help you out with it because its a pain in the a$$. I will not help you beat the system and get one just to have tint on your windows.
What was the turnaround time from when you sent in tnt application to receiving the sticker?

Quick Reply: Got my window tint exemption sticker will help others.