Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got my window tint exemption sticker will help others.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 10:03 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 190 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Got my window tint exemption sticker will help others.

I got my NY state window tint exemption sticker, so I can have tint on my windows. It is illegal for any tint on your windows in NY state that is more than 70% and your car will not pass inspection if you have it.

I am not abusing the system I have actual medical reasons for window tint due to a skull fracture and having my optic nerves knock crooked, so my eyes are overly sensitive to light and do not dilate properly.

I am posting this so if anyone has questions about how to jump through the hoops of getting one for medical reasons, I can help you out with it because its a pain in the a$$. I will not help you beat the system and get one just to have tint on your windows.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 03-04-18 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Missed words in title
Old 03-04-18, 10:21 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Default Got my window tint exemption sticker

I went through all the bs and finally got my window tint exemption sticker if anyone else from NY would like assistance in going through the process let me know and I will help as much as I can. I will not help you commit fraud just because you want tinted windows.
Old 03-04-18, 12:27 PM
1SikSc1Day
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What does this allow you to do in NY, legally? have as dark as you want?
Old 03-04-18, 01:53 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SikSc1Day
What does this allow you to do in NY, legally? have as dark as you want?
That is correct it allows you to have window tint dark than 70%.
Old 03-04-18, 02:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I got my NY state window tint exemption sticker, so I can have tint on my windows. It is illegal for any tint on your windows in NY state that is more than 70% and your car will not pass inspection if you have it.

I am not abusing the system I have actual medical reasons for window tint due to a skull fracture and having my optic nerves knock crooked, so my eyes are overly sensitive to light and do not dilate properly.

I am posting this so if anyone has questions about how to jump through the hoops of getting one for medical reasons, I can help you out with it because its a pain in the a$$. I will not help you beat the system and get one just to have tint on your windows.
Good post. I like your attitude. More people should be like that.

Sorry to hear about your fracture...best of luck, and, over time, I hope it heals and recovers as well as possible. Are there any night-driving restrictions on your license?....in some states, a condition like that may allow someone to drive only from sunup to sundown. Also, even if there are not, and particularly with darker-than-normal tint, you'll want to be very careful at night, as dark tint can make already-lowered night-vision even worse.
Old 03-04-18, 02:49 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good post. I like your attitude. More people should be like that.

Sorry to hear about your fracture...best of luck, and, over time, I hope it heals and recovers as well as possible. Are there any night-driving restrictions on your license?....in some states, a condition like that may allow someone to drive only from sunup to sundown. Also, even if there are not, and particularly with darker-than-normal tint, you'll want to be very careful at night, as dark tint can make already-lowered night-vision even worse.
Thanks man and it happened years ago, there is no restrictions on my license, what happens is you know when you accidently look at the sun or a bright lights flashes in your eyes and you get "sun spots" in your vision. That is exactly what happens to me I am temporarily "blinded" because some a-hole behind wont shut off his high beams.

I have awsome vision the issue is my pupils are always larger allowing more light in so when there is lights behind me bouncing off my mirrors at night it really messes with me and makes it super hard to drive. When I get high beamed from on coming traffic I have trained myself to squint so I can barely see and look at the white line on the shoulder.
During the day I am always wearing sunglasses even if there is no sun out I do take them off when I go inside as those lights are not bright enough to effect my vision.

I have 35% on my car now I would just like to get 20% or 15% nothing crazy, no limo tint for this guy haha.

I have to go through the entire process again for my wifes car NY state is such bs with this stuff. I wont post pics of the sticker because I don't want some a-hole using it for nefarious proposes.

Last edited by 05ls430518; 03-04-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-04-18, 03:08 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Can you explain the process in detail ? I am also from NY. Thanks
Old 03-04-18, 03:13 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think its a relatively simple process, you get some papers from a doctor and then go to DMV and file them. However the going to DMV part is enough to deter most people from bothering with this.
Old 03-04-18, 03:44 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
I think its a relatively simple process, you get some papers from a doctor and then go to DMV and file them. However the going to DMV part is enough to deter most people from bothering with this.
Thats not it the last steps involve your dr getting packet of paperwork from the dmv acknowledging your request, filling it out then doing an interview over the phone and you dont go to dmv there is a seperate branch of the dmv for this as well as other stuff.
Old 03-04-18, 04:24 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Can you explain the process in detail ? I am also from NY. Thanks
Whats your medical reason for wanting tint if you woukd rather pm it that is fine but I had to go through hell to get it for medical reasons so I dont want people to just get it to get it because then they will revise the law and make it even harder to get the exemption sticker its allready a $[cken nightmare to get it.
Old 03-04-18, 05:37 PM
1SikSc1Day
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^Because of some said eye or skin condition? hehe
I have 5% all around in all my cars in cali anyhow....its illegal yes; but a relatively cheap fix it ticket.
How dark did you go in the fronts?
Old 03-04-18, 05:51 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SikSc1Day
^^Because of some said eye or skin condition? hehe
I have 5% all around in all my cars in cali anyhow....its illegal yes; but a relatively cheap fix it ticket.
How dark did you go in the fronts?
I actually had a really bad skull fracture that knocked both my optic nerves crooked so my pupils dont dilate properly. I have 35% all around now. I will probably do 20% for the rear window and 15% for the side windows and a 6 inch strip on the top of the windshield thats gonna be 15% also.

In NY they can write you a ticket per window at $150 a pop lol
Old 03-05-18, 12:05 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Sounds like the key in NY is enforcement. Living in Phila., off the top of my head, pretty sure 70% has to be let in? So dunno if that's 70 or 30 in NYS. Pretty sure my wife's SUV from the factory is 19%. In PA, anything lower than 70% I believe has to be from the factory. Why, I do not know. In NJ, anything is allowed in the rear, but not on the front. Yet, so many cars are driving with fronts and windshield. It has to be an enforcement thing. I'm good with stock, be it in a sedan, or SUV. I had a mgr that wore sunglasses all the time, we were talking Oakleys that were suitable for baseball bordering on goggles if you will, and people used to make backhanded comments. But he had a medical reason for doing so, I just figured you can't please everyone and really no need to explain to the haters....
Old 03-05-18, 04:21 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Sounds like the key in NY is enforcement. Living in Phila., off the top of my head, pretty sure 70% has to be let in? So dunno if that's 70 or 30 in NYS. Pretty sure my wife's SUV from the factory is 19%. In PA, anything lower than 70% I believe has to be from the factory. Why, I do not know. In NJ, anything is allowed in the rear, but not on the front. Yet, so many cars are driving with fronts and windshield. It has to be an enforcement thing. I'm good with stock, be it in a sedan, or SUV. I had a mgr that wore sunglasses all the time, we were talking Oakleys that were suitable for baseball bordering on goggles if you will, and people used to make backhanded comments. But he had a medical reason for doing so, I just figured you can't please everyone and really no need to explain to the haters....
It has to allow 70% of light in so there tint meter must read 70 or you get a ticket for each or just window its up to the ticketing officer.
Old 03-05-18, 05:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

This tint law is a bunch of BS and nothing but a tax on everyday hard working people.

Its even more rediculous now since it doesn't apply to SUVs which now outsell sedans!

Quick Reply: Got my window tint exemption sticker will help others.