Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Considering Assembly of ES Models in India

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 11:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

^^ thanks for the info

I don't really have a problem with Lexus building/assembling/manufacturing their cars outside of Japan, simply because ToMoCo applies the same stringent standards for all of their factories. In fact some probably have even better quality control because of it. I believe the Cambridge plant in Ontario Canada which produces the RX is one of the most awarded facilities out there.
Old 03-08-18, 11:44 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

...it takes no more than 5 minutes to crank out a brand new Lexus ES-350 off the line. On a good day, this drops to 3 minutes a car.
This is the spacing between vehicles on the assembly line. The manufacturing of a complete vehicle from start of metal stamping to driving off the line takes hours. When one vehicle starts assembly and enters the line, another vehicle follows 5 minutes (or 3 minutes) later.
Old 03-08-18, 11:46 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Has Audi's image suffered by moving Q5 production to Mexico?
Forbes asked the same question last Fall. I'm not an Audiphile, but for me? Deal breaker. Not because the vehicle isn't as good, it likely is. But it's no different than a Snap On hand tool not being made in USA. Freightliner has been made in Mexico for an awful long time. They are needed to get a job done, command a decent market share, and wouldn't bother me one bit that they're made in Mexico. Would I prefer Kenworth, which is made in USA? If it were a leisure vehicle. But it's a work vehicle, and so my choice would be a Mexican made Freightliner.
Old 03-08-18, 11:58 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, when I did the Ford EcoSport review and pointed out the fact that it was made in India, there was a lot of griping here on the set about it....not from me, but from some others. But, now that we're talking about Lexus products being made in India, suddenly, that's now OK?
I don't think Lexus is considering shipping ES assembled in India to North America. My guess is that Lexus would ship Indian-assembled ES to East and Southeast Asian nations such as Singapore and Malaysia and Vietnam (the Asian Tigers) where there are rapidly growing numbers of affluent business people who are looking to spend their money on more expensive, luxury goods, including cars.

It would be less expensive to assemble and export from India than from Japan.

Audi started assembling cars in China 30 years ago and now the Chinese are hooked on Audis. If Lexus can sell ES models inexpensively yet profitably in these new markets, they could have guaranteed markets in a few years.
Old 03-08-18, 12:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I don't think Lexus is considering shipping ES assembled in India to North America. My guess is that Lexus would ship Indian-assembled ES to East and Southeast Asian nations such as Singapore and Malaysia and Vietnam (the Asian Tigers) where there are rapidly growing numbers of affluent business people who are looking to spend their money on more expensive, luxury goods, including cars.

It would be less expensive to assemble and export from India than from Japan.

Audi started assembling cars in China 30 years ago and now the Chinese are hooked on Audis. If Lexus can sell ES models inexpensively yet profitably in these new markets, they could have guaranteed markets in a few years.
Is it an ES200 out there? (due to restrictions on displacement in some countries)
Old 03-08-18, 12:29 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe the intent is to assemble those cars in India then ship them to North America for sales. The NA market for the ES would still be supplied by the Kentucky and Japanese lines. That's the difference between this and the EcoSport.

If Lexus does plan to send cars assembled in India to the US, then yes, people will be up in arms. There are already lots of CL posters who refuse to buy a North American built Lexus.
That is correct, this is for the local domestic / regional market to take advantage of lower duties when cars are assembled locally. MB, BMW, Audi already manufacture locally in India & end up being cheaper to Lexus.
Old 03-08-18, 12:49 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and the key word apparently is 'assembling', i.e., not manufacturing.
Isnt assembling just as important as manufacturing? The last thing I want are loose screws and/or weak welds in my expensive new car.
Old 03-08-18, 01:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
^ Then that is efficiency to the max, by Lexus if true.

Would love to see a list of Automakers and each vehicle line and how long it takes to produce each model. (don't think it exists, but that'd be cool)
I don’t think it is all the different for most manufacturers. Everything is pretty competitive.
Old 03-08-18, 01:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
You're right! But I'd wonder though about image vs. savings....one would think the brand image is more valuable.....
most people don't care about where something is made, but a lot of people care about the product's image and branding. most iphones are made in china... do people care? no. heck most EVERYTHING is made in china, do people care? no.

I haven't been following but it would be like BMW assembling the 3 series in Mexico. These countries can absolutely do anything anybody wants, esp. when state of the art factories are created...but again, the image suffers...
it didn't suffer when bmw started making tons of cars in south carolina! tariffs aside, why is that ok but mexico isn't? people by bmw's because of the roundel, the image, and the product.

I don't believe the intent is to assemble those cars in India then ship them to North America for sales.
for now, but you're right, the intent is to avoid the giant finished car tariff in india because sending in 'assemblies' is subject to much lower tariffs. it's all about money and opportunity.

There are already lots of CL posters who refuse to buy a North American built Lexus.
and i'd bet most of those who will and do buy a lexus built in north america have never heard of CL

^^ that's insane.
What about those Takumi that do 'hand stitched dashes'? Do they do it after the car is off the line?
i didn't write the article but it does seem to be up to the usual 'curated' standard.

Has Audi's image suffered by moving Q5 production to Mexico?
nope.

Originally Posted by Sulu
The benefits of CKD assembly include:
  1. Avoiding import tariffs on complete product by shipping parts instead of the complete product. This was the reason for the Volvo plant.
(great post ) and the reason for lexus too. the tariffs on finished cars into india i believe are insane, like 75% or something.

I don't really have a problem with Lexus building/assembling/manufacturing their cars outside of Japan, simply because ToMoCo applies the same stringent standards for all of their factories. In fact some probably have even better quality control because of it. I believe the Cambridge plant in Ontario Canada which produces the RX is one of the most awarded facilities out there.
exactly.

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Forbes asked the same question last Fall. I'm not an Audiphile, but for me? Deal breaker. Not because the vehicle isn't as good, it likely is. But it's no different than a Snap On hand tool not being made in USA. Freightliner has been made in Mexico for an awful long time. They are needed to get a job done, command a decent market share, and wouldn't bother me one bit that they're made in Mexico. Would I prefer Kenworth, which is made in USA? If it were a leisure vehicle. But it's a work vehicle, and so my choice would be a Mexican made Freightliner.
so if it's a liesure vehicle you're not ok with it made outside the u.s. (even though you drive a lexus made in japan i believe ) but if it's a work vehicle, you're ok with it being built outside of the u.s.
whatever floats your boat, but that makes zero sense to me.

Originally Posted by situman
Isnt assembling just as important as manufacturing? The last thing I want are loose screws and/or weak welds in my expensive new car.
well if assemblies are designed to be put together in a 'no brainer' kind of way that is easy to quality control, then having the local talent connect assemblies vs. building the highly complex assemblies themselves from scratch, is far less risky.