Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Deborah Wahl hired as Cadillac's Chief Marketing Officer

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
exactly... good article on it here - says it went from awful to pleasant to use. oh and it's going in other gm vehicles too...
I'll keep an open mind on future versions of the CUE. I don't plan to sample any more Cadillacs between now and the XT4 debut later this year, but I'll try it then. We'll see.
Old 03-12-18, 03:43 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

........... but what irks me about the E-Shifters is that the manufacturers could design them to work like a traditional PRNDL lever, and yet don't. Confusing patterns are why the Government stepped in, back during the mid-60s, and made the PRNDL sequence mandatory. That (may) have to happen again.
I'm not following you here on the criticism. The e-shifter is configured in the tradition pattern. The park button on top followed by R then N then D---so PRND voila.
Old 03-12-18, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'm not following you here on the criticism. The e-shifter is configured in the tradition pattern. The park button on top followed by R then N then D---so PRND voila.

OK....what I meant was moving the shift-lever one notch back and forth through each PRNDL gear position and having it remain there (like traditional floor-levers)...not a spring-loaded action which snaps the lever back to its central position no matter what gear you are in, and then having to jog it up and over, in an L-shaped pattern, for reverse. The manufacturers, IMO, could easily design an E-shift lever like that, without the mechanical linkage. I myself got used to it after about two weeks, but people driving or renting the car for only a couple of days won't have that luxury.

Is it a little clearer now?

I DO, however, like one feature of E-shift levers...at least the newer ones. That's the shifter automatically putting the car in PARK if you are too absent-headed to remember it. A well-known actor was killed a few years ago when the ZF transmission and E-Shifter on his Jeep Grand Cherokee stayed in Neutral, and he started walking away, thinking it was in Park. The Jeep rolled forward and killed him. Since then, a couple of safety-overrides between the doors/ignition/shifter have been added to newer E-shift levers (including the ones at GM) preventing that.

(It also makes you wonder why he didn't use the emergency brake)

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-12-18 at 04:03 PM.