Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2018 Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 04:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2018 Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon

Per Request, a Review of the all-new 2018 Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon

http://www.buick.com/sedans/regal-tourx-luxury-wagon

IN A NUTSHELL: A Opel-designed Subaru Outback, minus some ground clearance.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Subaru Outback, Audi All-Road....though the All-Road starts at a significantly higher base price, and the upcoming Volvo V60/Cross-Country. The former Volvo XC70, in production until 2016, was also a (loose) competitor, in the All-Road's price range. So were the also-discontinued Toyota Venza and Honda Crosstour....with AWD, they were (roughly) in the Tour-X's price range.

OVERVIEW:

At one time, Buick station wagons were as popular as.....well, wagons themselves. I grew up and learned to drive in an age when big wood-paneled Buick Estate and mid-size Skylark Sport Wagons roamed the American countryside....and, increasingly, the American suburbs. They were, along with similar wagons from Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Chrysler, Mercury, and the AMC Ambassador, the wagons one stepped up to if they wanted something with a little more panache than a Ford, Chevy, or Plymouth/Dodge. For years, they served American suburban families well.....until Chrysler's minivans debuted in 1984 and introduced a whole new dimension to that type of vehicle. Minivans, of course, being more space-efficient, and using less fuel per person varied, became the new wagons....and, roughly 10 years or so later, in the mid-1990s, the increasing popularity of SUVs, with their higher ground clearance for heavy snow and all-weather AWD capability, too over much of the former minivan market. Conventional station wagons, as we knew them, became all but extinct.....a couple of the very few exceptions was the Subaru Outback and Forester, whose popularity continues to this day. (To be honest, one can thank AMC and its innovative 1981 Eagle wagon, which introduced car-based AWD and a viscous center-differential, on a raised-suspension, that could be used anywhere, on any surface....it set the stage for the later, successful, Subaru and Audi AWD Systems).

Since then, of course, the continuing proliferation of all kinds of crossover vehicles, which not only blur the lines between cars and trucks in general, but even between trucks/SUVs/CUVs and wagons, has continued to offer the car buyer literally dozens of different choices, even in the same class (assuming, of course, that one can even define those classes any more LOL). Vehicles like the Kia Rondo (now discontinued), Toyota CH-R, and Subaru Crosstrek further blur the lines between vehicle-class. Conventional wagons, of course, never were totally extinct in the American market. Acura gave us a smart-lookng TSX Sportwagon (unfortunately, lacking a V6, raised-suspension, and AWD options), Toyota gave us the Camry-based Venza, Ford the Freestyle, Honda the oddly-styled Crosstour, and Hyundai the Elantra Touring wagon....most of these, of course, were recently discontinued. Like it or not, the market reality is that Americans, for whatever reason (most likely, the proliferation of so many other types of vehicles), except for the Outback/Forester, simply don't buy conventional wagons in significant numbers any more.

Now, for 2018, the Buick marketers have decided to take a big chance with the Division's money, and re-introduce a traditional Buick station wagon....the Tour-X. Only, in fact, not quite so traditional, as it lacks the stick-on wood-paneled siding of 40-50 years ago, instead substituting dark cladding around the lower-body, and coming standard with AWD and a turbocharged in-line four. It also is unconventional in that, like some other Buick models, it is essentially a rebadged Opel design of German origin...perhaps, along with its Regal hatchback stablemates, the last German-designed Buick we will see here in the U.S, as the managers at GM have decided (foolishly, IMO) to sell off its European Opel/Vauxhall division.

The Tour-X is obviously aimed squarely at Subaru's hot-selling Outback (I owned an Outback myself for almost six years), and, perhaps to a lesser extent, at the somewhat-more-expensive Audi All-Road Wagon. The Tour-X, however, lacks the Outback and All-Road's significantly-raised suspension and ground-clearance for heavy snow, which, unlike those two vehicles, could limit its usefulness in places like upstate New York, New England, the Rockies, and Sierra Nevada, where snowfall is often measured in feet instead of inches.

But the Tour-X, IMO, still has a lot going for it. In fact, when I ordered my Lacrosse, I knew the Tour-X was coming, and I was tempted to wait for it, but I decided I wanted the Buck flagship Lacrosse sedan instead....I also don't need AWD any more since I'm retired and don't regularly commute. But, I'm going to try and be as completely objective as possible in this review, just like I am with any other vehicle....Yep, I'm going to find good things and not-so-good things about it. Anyone who doesn't, IMO, is simply not reviewing properly. But, it is not being biased to point out the generally good reliability record (some of the best in GM's stable) of previous Opel-rebadged Buicks...they have gone a long way towards recently making Buick the highest-ranking American nameplate in both Consumer Reports and J.D. Power general reliability.

Oddly, however, the new Regal Tour-X is not going to have a sedan stablemate in the showroom. It is, of course, based on an all-new Opel Insignia platform this year, for 2018, and Buick's marketers (also, IMO, taking a chance with the Division's money) have decided to put the Regal sedans, in the American market, out to pasture...perhaps as a response to the recent low sales of both the Lacrosse sedan and the previous Regal sedan. So, instead of sedans, in addition to the Tour-X, we get a hatchback, with a slanted-roofline hatch-lid, that simulates a sedan in looks, but is not one in fact. (Hmmmm.....Go figure)? There will be a regular Sportback (hatchback) and a performance-oriented GS version with the 3.6L V6 and GM's 9-speed automatic (same drivetrain as in my Lacrosse).

There will be three different trim-versions of the Tour-X in the American market......the base Tour-X 1SV ($29,070), Preferred ($32,670), and Essence ($35,070). No top-line Premium or Avenir versions will be offered, at least this year, as those are reserved for the Lacrosse and Enclave lines). All versions will come with the same drivetrain...All-Wheel-Drive, a turbocharged, in-line four of 250 HP and 295 ft-lbs. of torque and GM's Aisin-sourced 8-speed automatic...GM sources say the new 9-speed may come next year, as it is restricted to the Regal GS this year. So, moving up in the Tour-X model lines is generally getting more comfort/convenience features, rather than a different drive train.

As I write this, Tour-X models are starting to arrive at D.C.-area dealerships, though I was able to do a preliminary inspection and static-review of one a few weeks ago, as it had been special-ordered and delivered in advance. Buick, for some odd reason, did not even display one (or a Regal GS) at the big D.C. auto show this year....which, IMO, was as odd as Cadillac and Mercedes, two big names, not coming to the show at all. All Buick had at the show, for the Regal line, was a couple of new Sportbacks with the turbo 4, despite the fact that they brought three new Lacrosses.

For the static review, I looked at several models, and, for the test-drive, I chose a black Essence version with a sunroof. Though it had more features on it than I would choose as my own daily-driver, that version is probably typical of what the average Buick customer would want. The Buick sales rep that sold me both my Verano and Lacrosse went and got the key/fob and dealer-plate for me. He told me that they are indeed moving some Tour-Xs at the dealership, though not in the same numbers, of course, as the Encore....the Encore is still Buick's bread-and-butter here in the U.S.

So, let's get to it.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2018 Buick Regal Tour-X Wagon Essence

BASE PRICE: $35,070

OPTIONS:

Ebony (Black) Metallic Paint: $395

Driver Confidence Package I: $1725

Driver Confidence Package II: $1190

Sight and Sounds Package: $1095

Buick Interior Protection Package: $200

Panoramic Moonroof: $1200

Front License Plate Bracket: $40 (a ripoff, yes, especially in dual front/rear-license-plate states....but what's $40 when you are spending 40K)

Cargo Net: $65

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $925 (maybe a little steep for a vehicle this size)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $41,905

DRIVETRAIN: AWD, Transversely-mounted 2.0L Turbocharged in-line four, 250 HP @ 5500 RPM, Torque 295 Ft-lbs. @ 3000-4000 RPM, 8-Speed Sport-Shift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 19 City, 27 Highway

EXTERIOR COLOR: Ebony (Black) Metallic

INTERIOR: Black Leather

PLUSSES: (+)

Good reliability record of previous version.

Decent amount of power...but not abundant.

Superb handling for this class of vehicle.

Excellent ride/handling combination.

Smooth but not quite seamless transmission.

Tight, responsive brake pedal.

Buick 6/70 and 4/50 warranty same as that of several Tier-1/Tier-2 luxury makes (Cadillac, Lincoln, Lexus, Infiniti Acura).

Solidly-built inside and out, with good-to-excellent hardware.

Generally good outward visibility.

Well, done, easily-readable primary gauges.

Generally easy to use controls/buttons.

Excellent stereo.

Reasonably user-friendly Buick Intellink infotainment system.

Reasonably comfortable front seats for my large frame.

MINUSES: (-)

Normally-aspirated 3.6L V6 and 9-speed automatic from the 2018 Regal Sportback GS not offered on the wagon, even with AWD.

Weight/drag of the AWD system sometimes noticeable.

Ground clearance for heavy snow not equal to that of the Subaru Outback.

Limited headroom with the sunroof housing.

Somewhat tight legroom in back.

Uncomfortable stitching on the steering wheel rim.

Secondary fuel/temperature gauges on the smallish side.

Limited room underhood for engine/component access.

Fix-a-Flat can instead of a proper spare tire.

Could (?) possibly reach a bigger potential market as a Chevrolet instead of a Buick.

Gorgeous Carrageen paint color from the Regal Sportback not offered.

May (?) be the last Opel-designed Buick we see here in the American market.

May (?) have high potential depreciation if it doesn't sell well.

EXTERIOR:

As previously mentioned, like some other small and mid-sized Buick models, the Tour-X is an almost 100% rebadge of the European Opel/Vauxhall Sports Tourer wagon, differing only in the Buick badges, amount of sound insulation, standard/optional equipment, and powertrain availability. Nothing wrong with that, though, as, IMO, the Sports-Tourer is a nice-looking car in its own right. Although the roofline does drop down (very slightly) at the rear, the generally conservative styling provides decent visibility out the windows......something that is lacking on many newer vehicles today. Perhaps Buick knew that, to compete with the Subaru Outback (which has superb outward visibility), Peek-a-Boo, Tunnel-Vision windows just wouldn't cut it. Eight different paint colors are offered....the usual range of neutral colors, plus a dark blue and two shades of red. Unfortunately, the gorgeous Caragreen Metallic, a medium-to-dark Aqua that is offered on the Sportback, is not offered on the wagon.....why, I have no idea. The body sheet metal seems generally well-done and of good quality, and the doors close with a reasonably solid thud, if not quite as solid as on the last-generation version. As with many SUVs and crossovers, a belt of dark-gray vinyl/plastic cladding runs around the entire lower-body length and width of the vehicle, helping to protect the paint from inevitable road-debris. One area where the Outback is significantly ahead of the Tour-X, though, is in grand clearance. The Tour-X only has slightly more ground clearance than the Regal Sportback (5.8 inches compared to the Outback's 8.7)....which, along with Subaru's simpler and more efficient Symmetrical AWD system, will probably make the Outback significantly more capable in deep snow. Indeed, the Tour-X's ground clearance is closer to that of the Subaru Legacy wagon, which was discontinued in the U.S. Up front, the Tour-X and other Regals, like some other recently-redesigned Buicks, borrows heavily from its Opel origin, shedding the big, somewhat gaudy-looking chrome tooth-grille for a more-subdued, chrome-wing/outline pattern and a full-color red/white/blue Buick tri-shield shield emblem instead of the former (IMO cheap-looking) chrome-outline Buick emblem. On the roof, standard full-length rails and accessory, dealer-installed cross-rails allow one to carry bikes, canoes, skis, etc..... Outback-style.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the solid-feeling hood, and the usual insulation-pad is attached to the underside. A nice pair of gas-struts hold up the hood for you so you don't have to fumble with manual prop-rods......I've never liked the manual props (except when the gas struts wear out LOL). Underneath, the transversely-mounted 2.0L in-line four fits in quite tightly transversely, and with only a small amount of room fore/aft to reach engine components and work on them. The usual large black-plastic engine cover, of course, prevents much of the top-engine access. Also as usual, the dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs are generally easy to reach.

INTERIOR:

Like the exterior, the interior of the Tour-X is almost pure Opel, even down to the hardware and switches. But, again, that's not a bad thing, as the Opel Insignia's interior is generally well-done. The front seats are generally comfortable for my large, heavy frame, and fit my torso almost perfectly, but I was just able to barely fit in without having the bottom seat cushion's side-bolsters press into me. The Essence trim-version has leather-appointed seats, and felt like a good quality grade of leather. Overhead, sunroof-equipped models, with the housing, take some toll on rear-seat headroom for tall persons...up front, of course, one can drop the seat cushion down all the way and/or angle the seat-back a little to compensate (as I had to). Legroom, in back, seemed tighter than in the Outback, due to the Tour-X wagon's somewhat smaller overall size....the last couple-generations of Outback have grown significantly. The sun visors are done in hard plastic without any padding or fabric, but the plastic is thick, tough and durable, and the snap-tab hardware to hold them in place is nice and strong (that can be a weak point in some vehicles). Almost all of the hardware inside, in typical Opel fashion, is well-done, durable-feeling, and relatively easy to use/operate. The shifter, unlike the quirky E-shifter used in the bigger American-designed Buicks, is a conventional, easy-to-use fore/aft PRNDL pattern, with Manual-mode down and to the left. The 3-spoke steering wheel, with its chrome trim, lacks the somewhat cheap look of the 4-spoke one used on the Lacrosse and Enclave, though the stitching used for the leather covering was hard and uncomfortable-feeling to one's fingers. Ahead, I especially liked the way the primary speedometer and tach gauges were done.....simple, circular, to the point, and easy to read (somewhat like what BMW 3-series gauges used to be). The smallish fuel and engine-temperature gauges, though, squeezed in-between the upper-part of the primary gauges, could have been a little larger for optimum visibility. Like some other recent Buicks, the video-screen that contains the Intellink system and some climate/stereo functions (some are also adjustable with buttons/*****) are flared neatly into the center-dash, without the stuck-out or tacked-on look that many vehicles use today. The Intellink infotainment system itself is somewhat more user-friendly than that on some other brands, but still not as easy as in the older-school days where everything was buttons/*****. The stereo sound quality is quite good, with a strong bass.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Open the hatch lid (power-assist is included on some versions), and one is treated to a fairly nice-trimmed cargo area, with a thin but nice fuzzy black-carpet on the floor and a black fabric-feel lining on the side walls. two bright-metal strips line the cargo floor. A rubber, Subaru-style cargo-tray (part of the all-weather floor-mat package for the interior) is available to protect the bed-carpet. A detachable cargo pull-cover helps hide the contents from prying eyes. The rear seats, of course, fold for added cargo room. Due to the somewhat smaller vehicle size and slightly-angled rear roofline, the Tour-X's cargo area, though decent for a wagon its size, is not as large as that of the Outback. All three trim-versions stick you with a Cheap-O-Matic can of compressed air for a flat tire, instead of a proper spare (or even a temporary/donut spare). I'm not just picking on Buick or the Regal here, BTW......this gross neglect of flat tires by many, if not most, automakers has reached the point where, IMO, it is time for the DOT and NHTSA to seriously step in and consider some governmental regulations mandating some standards on this issue. My brother, for example, recently picked up a nail in one of his tires that was too far up the sidewall for repair (radial tires can be repaired only if the puncture is in the usable-tread area....otherwise, the tire's sidewall-flex will loosen and undo the patch). Even with the Road-Hazard tire-warranty he purchased on his vehicle when new, he still had to wait the better part of a week before the dealership was able to replace the tire....they did not have a proper replacement-size in stock. That meant, of course, that he had to slowly limp around for several days on the temporary spare, with icing conditions forecast, on a bull-s*** piece of rubber never intended for that kind of service. Sorry to vent, folks....but I'm just tired of seeing this kind of nonsense on expensive new vehicles.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the turbo four with a start/stop button, and it idles reasonably smoothly and quietly for a four. On the road, it provides a decent amount of spunk (269 ft-lbs. of torque), but the added weight and drag of the AWD system is noticeable, especially with the A/C compressor on. Still, it will easily get out of its own way if not loaded down, and the amount of power is generally adequate for most normal driving. Still, given the choice, I'd prefer the V6, which is only available in the sport-oriented Regal GS. The specs list a standard stop/start system for this engine, but I don't recall it ever actually engaging during my test-drive, even though I did number of physical starts and stops and got the engine thoroughly warm...I later noticed that the compressor was on for a good part of the test-drive, and that sometimes blocks out the feature. If it operates as seamlessly as the one in my Lacrosse, though, most owners won't have any complaints.

The 8-speed automatic (I believe it is the same ZF-supplied transmission as on last year 's 2017 Lacrosse, before the Lacrosse shifted to the 9-speed) shifted smoothly but not quite seamlessly....there was some slight rubber-banding during up-shifts at lower speeds. The pleasant, nice-to-use, fore/aft traditional PRNDL shift-lever avoided some of the E-shifter's quirks....it took me several weeks to really get used to the E-shifter in my Lacrosse. But it was in the superb Germanic chassis where the Tour-X really shined on the road...this, IMO, was Opel at its best. Both the steering and brakes were right-now quick (I can only imagine what the Regal GS is going to be like). The steering feel was super-smooth as well, and the brake pedal was mounted in a position, relative to the gas pedal, where it didn't give my big Clod-Hopper size 15 shoes much trouble when lifting off the gas to the brake. Like typical German sports sedans, the pedal was tight, with virtually no free-play. Body-roll was well-suppressed, partially due to the low-stance and low center of gravity for a wagon, and the car tracked quite well in its lane. Ride-comfort was not as soft as on the standard-wheel-size Lacrosse or Enclave, but reasonably comfortable...the tires had also been sitting in the warm sun for several hours, and, even on a cool windy day, were several PSI above the cold-recommended pressure. The PDI guys might not have completely adjusted them either, like they are supposed to when new vehicles arrive from the factory and come off the transporter...that's a common oversight. Wind noise was well-suppressed in the Buick tradition....road noise not as much so, as the open rear end of wagons and hatchbacks/SUVs tends to amplify whatever road/tire noise manages to get through the wheel-well insulation. Still not bad, though....I've heard lots worse.

THE VERDICT:

Unless one specifically needs more ground clearance for deep snow, or a taller roofline to carry tall items in back, the Tour-X Wagon, IMO, is an almost perfect example of why one does not need to spring for an SUV. It comes standard with All-Wheel-Drive, a reasonable amount of power (though the AWD system does put a noticeable amount of drag on it at times), right-now braking action, comfortable accommodations, a reasonably comfortable ride, and much better steering/handling than I've sampled on virtually any SUV or CUV I've sampled. Though I have not sampled them first-hand, I suspect that it will be a similar case with the upcoming Volvo V60 and V60 Cross-Country wagons, which will probably go head-to-head wth the Tour-X in the wagon market. Buick, though, IMO, still need to make some improvements. Offer the 3.6L V6 and 9-speed from the Lacrosse, Enclave, and the Tour-X's own brother Regal GS as an option. Use better stitching for the leather on the steering-wheel rim. Dump the ridiculous Fix-a-Flat can. Make the front seats just a hair wider for heavy people. And, yes, offer the beautiful Caragreen Metallic paint that is on the Regal Sportback.

But the Tour-X, just as it is, deserves serious consideration. And it comes with the nice Buick warranty that is on a par with Cadillac and several other luxury makes. And, perhaps most significantly, it will (likely) be, along with its Regal Sportback and GS brothers, the last Opel-designed Buick available here in the American market. That will, sadly, IMO, mark the end of a nice era.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-10-18 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-10-18, 05:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's the engine.....couldn't get it to upload above, for some reason.

Old 03-10-18, 06:21 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice reveiew MM.

great looking car IMO, and you're right it should be offered with the 3.6L V6 and 9-speed !!!!
Old 03-10-18, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
Nice reveiew MM.

great looking car IMO, and you're right it should be offered with the 3.6L V6 and 9-speed !!!!

Thanks. As of now, one has to move up to the Regal GS to get that powertrain. And the GS, of course, probably has stiffer underpinnings, though I have not (yet) sampled one myself. I've got a couple of requests, though, from CL members, to sample a new GS, and I will, as soon as they become available here in my area, though I'll probably do just a write-up on the test-drive and not a whole complete review again of the car, which may be unnecessary.
Old 03-11-18, 03:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next reviews planned: Lincoln Navigator, Hyundai Kona, Cadillac XT4 (when available). Steve has already done an extensive write-up on the Navigator, so, on my part, I might not do a full-review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-11-18 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-11-18, 11:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Steve has already done an extensive write-up on the Navigator, so, on my part, I might not do a full-review.
maybe do the expedition instead.

or the lexus rx350l
Old 03-11-18, 02:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe do the expedition instead.

or the lexus rx350l
Everyone on Car Chat has pretty already much discussed the RX350L to death...its design short-cuts, ultra-cramped third row, and general unsuitability for the role. The Expedition is a good suggestion...I'll add that to the list. I also just got a request for the upcoming Ranger pickup....an ex-co-worker of mine is about ready to replace his 17-year-old Explorer Sport-Trac, and the Ranger may (?) be the prefect replacement, but we probably won't see it till near the end of the year....they are still getting the plant for it ready. King Alex (Dykes) might also be able to sample a Ranger before I can, and I'm sure he will do a better job than me.

Still want to do at least a brief test-drive, though, if nothing else, on a Navigator (I've already sampled all of the other new Lincolns), since Lincoln signed me up for the charity test-drive offer, which runs out March 30. Even though there's no gift-card like with Ford (which I used on the EcoSport review), it's still a chance to help the charity of your choice....Lincoln donates $75. And there's a lot of poverty and suffering across Appalachia that needs that help.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-11-18 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-11-18, 02:49 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I like the look of the wagon, but just look at the pic of the motor, namely the heat shield against the exhaust manifold and the bracket to its left. Maybe they should cover it all up like Lexus lol
Old 03-11-18, 02:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I like the look of the wagon, but just look at the pic of the motor, namely the heat shield against the exhaust manifold and the bracket to its left. Maybe they should cover it all up like Lexus lol
The manufacturers make it hard enough for Technicians (and the occasional DIY'er, if qualified) to work on engines nowadays. The more covers, the more work involved...and a lot of shops either use a fee-schedule for services or charge by the hour.

I haven't seen yet how the 3.6L V6 is going to fit in under that relatively limited underhood space.....the V6, of course, will be with the upcoming Regal GS. That one is going to be interesting.
Old 03-11-18, 06:33 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't seen yet how the 3.6L V6 is going to fit in under that relatively limited underhood space.....the V6, of course, will be with the upcoming Regal GS. That one is going to be interesting.
This is the GS
Old 03-11-18, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
This is the GS
Thanks. I plan to check out a GS when they become available in my area.....but probably not another whole review.
Old 03-12-18, 05:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

The manufacturers make it hard enough for Technicians (and the occasional DIY'er, if qualified) to work on engines nowadays. The more covers, the more work involved...and a lot of shops either use a fee-schedule for services or charge by the hour.

In the wagon, it looks like you could slice your hand open on the edge of that bracket on the driver's side....I think this is the use the 11 cent one that doesn't fit well, instead of the one that costs 29 cents (someone in the auto business gave me a real life example of fasteners and those were real numbers, as they supplier the automakers)....(likely the bracket is not 11 cents, maybe $2.00 vs. $3 or more)
Old 03-12-18, 09:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
In the wagon, it looks like you could slice your hand open on the edge of that bracket on the driver's side....I think this is the use the 11 cent one that doesn't fit well, instead of the one that costs 29 cents (someone in the auto business gave me a real life example of fasteners and those were real numbers, as they supplier the automakers)....(likely the bracket is not 11 cents, maybe $2.00 vs. $3 or more)

I don't know...I didn't sample it. I did cut myself, though, some years ago on my Outback, while changing the oil, and, earlier, at a Honda dealer, doing a review, on a sharp piece on a new Honda Civic near the catch-release underhood. They had a good butterfly bandage at the dealership, though, and after washing it out and resting it a few minutes (it wasn't a serious cut) I went on with the review. (I also carry regular strip-bandages in my briefcase, just in case I need them when I'm out).
Old 03-12-18, 09:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know...I didn't sample it. I did cut myself, though, some years ago on my Outback, while changing the oil, and, earlier, at a Honda dealer, doing a review, on a sharp piece on a new Honda Civic near the catch-release underhood. They had a good butterfly bandage at the dealership, though, and after washing it out and resting it a few minutes (it wasn't a serious cut) I went on with the review. (I also carry regular strip-bandages in my briefcase, just in case I need them when I'm out).
I think cost takes precedence over aesthetics today (maybe not at Lamborghini where a gas cap is $350 lol)...so why not take a piece of plastic and cover it up?

True embarrassing story. I'm in a client's office, I go to grab something out of my bag, and it rips the skin around my thumb cuz the air is so dry, bleeding profusely. There was no way to hide it, and the person I was meeting with says oh, you're bleeding, c'mon, let's see if we can get a bandage from the first aid kit which I think we have...such an oddball scenario....