Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick removes the "Buick" badge on 2019 models.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 06:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you were right a while back when the lone 'genesis' model was a hyundai, it did have 'GENESIS' on the back because that was the model name, not the brand.

lol - my portholes are bigger than your portholes...
I'm not really old enough to fully relate, but people point out that my business cards are nice, with raised letters, blah blah blah. I guess they ain't no Vistaprint intro 5000 cards for $3.99 plus S+H deal. I've asked how much cards cost out of curiosity, but nobody seems to know. I remember a scene from American Psycho where the boys were all comparing to see whose card was best. Today people whip out their fancy key fobs or smartphones to compare. Status is back.
Old 03-13-18, 07:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
My dad never achieved 4...only 3. I suppose at some point he stopped caring as 4 was unattainable (at least since he was a cash payer of these cars) lol

It may have been unattainable for your dad brand-new, but how about used? How do you think I got four of them at that age (19)? I bought an old Electra, several years old , which actually needed some work. I certainly couldn't afford a new Electra, which, in those days, was second only to the Cadillac DeVille/Fleetwood in the GM sedan-hierarchy (and, IMO, the Electra was a better car in some ways, particularly the transmission)
Old 03-13-18, 10:03 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The new special edition Stinger is taking the opposite tack. The KIA badge on the rear has been replaced by a large script "Stinger".
Old 03-13-18, 10:44 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

One of my earliest memories (literally--I was an itty-bitty kid) was seeing a neighbor's brand-new car and noticing the portholes. I was born in 1950, so this must have been around '54. Back in those days in SoCal a new car had a temporary paper registration number comprised of about 10 digits, I think usually taped in the rear window. I pointed to the number and asked, "is that how much it cost?" The neighbor smiled and answered, "Almost!"

The porthole idea might be corny but if it is associated with a particular brand then if I were part of the design group I would keep it. But I would want to make them functional, not just a decorating gimmick. I had a '67 Mustang many years ago and hated the fake side scoops just forward of the rear wheel wells. Make 'em functional or leave them off.