Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick removes the "Buick" badge on 2019 models.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 07:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Buick removes the "Buick" badge on 2019 models.

Old 03-12-18, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I saw that news yesterday, from other links. I didn't think it was a big deal...that's why I didn't post it. It's more important, IMO, that they keep the tri-color-sheld.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-12-18 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 07:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I saw that news yesterday, from other links. I didn't think it was a big deal...that's why I didn't post it. It's more important, IMO, that they keep the tri-color-sheld.
I would support a new logo. But if they keep the current one, they definitely cannot lose the color.
Old 03-12-18, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What irks me more than seeing the nameplates go is the loss of the traditional Buick portholes on the front fenders. Fortunately, they still remain on the Lacrosse.

Old 03-12-18, 08:15 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ I don't know. An extra piece of gingerbread on the side of the fenders. Does the Buick need them for air extraction or cooling? Not a big deal about losing the Buick logo really. It's an Opel anyway.
Old 03-12-18, 08:22 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Idk why they had the lettering on the rear in the first place. I can't think of any car brand off the top of my head that does that.
Old 03-12-18, 08:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Idk why they had the lettering on the rear in the first place. I can't think of any car brand off the top of my head that does that.
Genesis has it. Toyota and Lexus used to until 2010. Hyundai took it off.

Cant think of who else has it. It is smart move to remove it

Buick actually used to emboss it onto the rear bumper.
Old 03-12-18, 08:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Genesis has it.
It doesn't except for inside the center of the winged logo in tiny letters.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-13-18 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 08:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

It doesn't except for inside the center of the winged logo in tiny letters.
Thanks. I'm wrong. Swear it had it.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-13-18 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 09:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
^^^ I don't know. An extra piece of gingerbread on the side of the fenders. Does the Buick need them for air extraction or cooling? Not a big deal about losing the Buick logo really. It's an Opel anyway.

Unlike the other American market Buicks, the Lacrosse, Enclave, and Envision are NOT Opels. Second, using your arguement, portholes would not have been allowed on all of the previous decades of Buicks that shared Chevy and Cadillac platforms.

I agree, however, that they are purely decorative trim, and not functional (for air circulation and engine cooling) like they were in the late 40s and 50s. Still, IMO, they help make the brand....and a lot of customizers seem to like them. Look at all the aftermarket fake ones you see on non-Buicks, for example. And Maserati, straight from the factory, is now using something quite similar.

We can disagree on this part of it, however (and I respect your opinion).......but I don't see the portholes as gingerbread. The actual Buick nameplate-letters, though, as I mentioned to Jill, are probably less-important. A number of vehicles (including the Oldsmobile Aurora, the 1Gen Hyundai Genesis, and some early Saturns, were also like that....logos only, with no nameplates.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-12-18 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 09:55 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Mike,
I disagree that the porthole served no useful purpose. Back in the day, the Roadmaster 4 portholes made sure that your neighbor knew that you had not "cheaped out" and bought a Super that only had 3 portholes. Image was (almost) everything.
Old 03-12-18, 10:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Mike,
I disagree that the porthole served no useful purpose. Back in the day, the Roadmaster 4 portholes made sure that your neighbor knew that you had not "cheaped out" and bought a Super that only had 3 portholes. Image was (almost) everything.
OK, I'll agree with that. (and my old Electra also had four "holes" LOL). What I was refering to, however (and what I think MattyG was, too), was not image, but actual mechanical functions. The original holes from the late 40s and 50s allowed a little more air in to help cool things down....radiators and water-pumps were not as efficient in those days as they are now. In the 60s, however, they started to become merely decorative functions, and a Buick tradition.
Old 03-13-18, 05:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Thank you for clarifying that. I thought it meant the Tri Shield, remember Redd Foxx/I'm coming Elizabeth/This is the big one? That was me just now.

imho the Tri Shield likely is not as valuable as the BMW roundel or Mercedes 3 pointed star, but it certainly should have a significant value to the marque, and should never be removed, nor should the portholes in some flavor.
Old 03-13-18, 05:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

OK, I'll agree with that. (and my old Electra also had four "holes" LOL). What I was refering to, however (and what I think MattyG was, too), was not image, but actual mechanical functions. The original holes from the late 40s and 50s allowed a little more air in to help cool things down....radiators and water-pumps were not as efficient in those days as they are now. In the 60s, however, they started to become merely decorative functions, and a Buick tradition.
My dad never achieved 4...only 3. I suppose at some point he stopped caring as 4 was unattainable (at least since he was a cash payer of these cars) lol
Old 03-13-18, 06:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks. I'm wrong. Swear it had it.
you were right a while back when the lone 'genesis' model was a hyundai, it did have 'GENESIS' on the back because that was the model name, not the brand.

Originally Posted by oldcajun
lol - my portholes are bigger than your portholes...

Quick Reply: Buick removes the "Buick" badge on 2019 models.