Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No One Is Buying The Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-18 | 06:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I read that article. The difference between the four cars, in MT's view, was not that great.
I think you are gonna need to concede. The Continental should have a RWD set up. I am now convinced of this based on the MY article and what most of the people on here are saying.
Old 03-30-18 | 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I think you are gonna need to concede. The Continental should have a RWD set up. I am now convinced of this based on the MY article and what most of the people on here are saying.

Well, first, of all, I'm not really fighting with anyone. We're having a sensible, mature adult discussion on luxury cars, so it's not a matter of "concession". Opinions can differ......and I respect yours as much as anyone else's. My own is that, having owned and driven many FWD cars over the years, I see little need for RWD for most typical American driving conditions, or unless one wants to do corner-carving at higher speeds, where the inherently better-balance of RWD platforms does have an advantage. And most luxury sedans, whether FWD or RWD-based, have an AWD option, which, IMO, makes both set-ups a more or less moot point.
Old 03-30-18 | 06:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, first, of all, I'm not really fighting with anyone. We're having a sensible, mature adult discussion on luxury cars, so it's not a matter of "concession". Opinions can differ......and I respect yours as much as anyone else's. My own is that, having owned and driven many FWD cars over the years, I see little need for RWD for most typical American driving conditions, or unless one wants to do corner-carving at higher speeds, where the inherently better-balance of RWD platforms does have an advantage. And most luxury sedans, whether FWD or RWD-based, have an AWD option, which, IMO, makes both set-ups a more or less moot point.
I don’t think I said you were “fighting”. Anyway, almost everyone on here who has purchased a high end car have made it clear that RWD is pretty much a prerequisite. I am definitely on board that the Continental needs RWD. And I have been pretty fair to the car.
Old 03-30-18 | 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I don’t think I said you were “fighting”. Anyway, almost everyone on here who has purchased a high end car have made it clear that RWD is pretty much a prerequisite. I am definitely on board that the Continental needs RWD. And I have been pretty fair to the car.

Fair enough. Opinions noted. But I don't see, though, where RWD would necessarily improve sales. Right down the street, at the Caddy dealer, you've got a bunch of RWD sedans sitting around collecting the same dust that the Continentals are.
Old 03-30-18 | 07:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by speedkar9
These days, consumers are more informed about platform sharing. While great for the automaker, consumers are smartening up, and realizing they can get a fully loaded Fusion with more features than the base Lincoln model.

Maybe its the automaker's fault for down marketing luxury features to economy cars (5-10 years ago, you wouldn't think a Hyundai Elantra would have heated rear seats and be available with semi autonomous safety tech). The gap between the mainstream and luxury brands are blending.
100% agree.

As a luxury-only car buyer for many years, I took the plunge for the first time on a mainstream brand (Stinger) as there's virtually no difference in build quality, tech, and performance over comparable luxury models.

Since tech is not a major differentiator, biggest issue for me with the Continental is it's missing a polished quality interior to really compete.
Old 03-30-18 | 07:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I read that article. The difference between the four cars, in MT's view, was not that great.
You really do just read and hear what you want to don’t you? LOL. That was not at all MTs view in that article. In fact I believe the sentences “could not be more different” was in fact used.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
100% agree.

As a luxury-only car buyer for many years, I took the plunge for the first time on a mainstream brand (Stinger) as there's virtually no difference in build quality, tech, and performance over comparable luxury models.

Since tech is not a major differentiator, biggest issue for me with the Continental is it's missing a polished quality interior to really compete.
To be fair you are driving a car from a mainstream brand designed to make a point and specifically to compete with luxury brands. Go drive a Kia Optima and say the same thing...
Old 03-30-18 | 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You really do just read and hear what you want to don’t you? LOL. That was not at all MTs view in that article. In fact I believe the sentences “could not be more different” was in fact used.

I think your comment is rude, but I'm not going to reply in the same manner. I didn't say that there are no differences. I've driven two of those cars myself (with plans to maybe try the new LS500 shortly), and there certainly are differences. I just don't think they are all that big....not as significant as some make them out to be.

Old 03-30-18 | 08:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, you said “The difference between those 4 cars in MTs view was not that great” and that statement was not true.

Personally I find your refusal to let any viewpoint challenge your own is rude too. As Jill said people who,actually buy these cars have repeatedly said RWD is a requirement. And he fact is, the car isn’t selling well. Yet you continue to say RWD isn’t necessary in th segment simply ignoring all of us who are actually consumers in th segment. Over, and over, and over again.
Old 03-30-18 | 08:27 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

No, you said “The difference between those 4 cars in MTs view was not that great” and that statement was not true.

Personally I find your refusal to let any viewpoint challenge your own is rude too. As Jill said people who,actually buy these cars have repeatedly said RWD is a requirement. And he fact is, the car isn’t selling well. Yet you continue to say RWD isn’t necessary in th segment simply ignoring all of us who are actually consumers in th segment. Over, and over, and over again.
Lol. People, glass houses, stones Let he who is without.... yada, yada.
Old 03-30-18 | 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

When did I ever claim the Conti was seeing well? I never said that...only pointed out that the RWD CT6 was not seeing well, either. And I have (repeatedly) stated I that respect other opinions.

Originally Posted by MattyG
People, glass houses, stones Let he who is without
Fine with me, Matty. I agree.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-18 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-30-18 | 09:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back on topic, here are Continental sales month by month since 2016. I tried to copy the table itself, but it wouldn't take....but you can see it on the link.

Anyhow, sales have been averaging, give or take, about 1000 or so a month, though they are down the first two months of this year.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...ntinental-new/

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-30-18 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-30-18 | 09:22 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Fine with me, Matty. I agree.
It was directed more at the other poster. Ironically I agree with the opposite side of this argument. Lincoln needed to go all in and make a proper n-s rwd layout to be taken seriously. But obviously their new CEO wants trucks, suvs and you can have all the rwd goodness anyone can want on a non-sedan platform.
Old 03-30-18 | 09:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It was directed more at the other poster. Ironically I agree with the opposite side of this argument. Lincoln needed to go all in and make a proper n-s rwd layout to be taken seriously. But obviously their new CEO wants trucks, suvs and you can have all the rwd goodness anyone can want on a non-sedan platform.
No problem...I respect your view. What about the fact, though, that the n-s RWD CT6 doesn't seem to be selling very well, either? The SUV market (as you yourself noted) seems to be eating up the sedans, period, no matter how they are designed. I happen to like big upmarket sedans myself, but it is clear that, compared to the SUV crowd, I'm in the minority.
Old 03-31-18 | 05:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It was directed more at the other poster.
And you know what? You were right and I apologize.
Old 03-31-18 | 06:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And you know what? You were right and I apologize.

So do I, if any of my posts in this thread were offensive to anyone. That was not my intent.

Quick Reply: No One Is Buying The Lincoln Continental