Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No One Is Buying The Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 02:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,978 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Why's it matter? Not like you're going to buy one after your LS460L lease. You're going to end up in a 7-Series or LS500 if I were a betting man.
That may very well be, but I still don't see the purpose of suicide doors. The reason the Continental isn't selling is its not a very compelling product, the addition of suicide doors isn't going to change that. You might sell a couple to nostalgia buffs, but those are few and far between. Its just effort spent on a gimmick when they could devote that effort to making a more compelling product.
Old 12-13-18, 02:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Why's it matter? Not like you're going to buy one after your LS460L lease. You're going to end up in a 7-Series or LS500 if I were a betting man.
Rolls Royce has suicide doors. I like it thisbfeatures for Lincoln. Go Continental Go!
Old 12-13-18, 02:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Rolls Royce has suicide doors. I like it thisbfeatures for Lincoln. Go Continental Go!
And you might get some people who might buy one to pretend they have a Rolls Royce, but that doesn't move the brand forward.

People don't buy Rolls Royces because they have suicide doors, the product itself is what sells. Adding suicide doors to a Continental without improving the issues with the product doesn't have a whole lot of point.
Old 12-13-18, 02:39 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I think it's kind of cool. Will it "save" the Continental? No, I suspect not. But it's a unique feature that they will no doubt market the hell out of and get people talking about it again.
Old 12-13-18, 02:50 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That may very well be, but I still don't see the purpose of suicide doors. The reason the Continental isn't selling is its not a very compelling product, the addition of suicide doors isn't going to change that. You might sell a couple to nostalgia buffs, but those are few and far between. Its just effort spent on a gimmick when they could devote that effort to making a more compelling product.
And you might get some people who might buy one to pretend they have a Rolls Royce, but that doesn't move the brand forward. People don't buy Rolls Royces because they have suicide doors, the product itself is what sells. Adding suicide doors to a Continental without improving the issues with the product doesn't have a whole lot of point.
Even if Lincoln made it RWD, this would not solve it's problems. Taking lessons from the newer Navigator would be a step in the right direction. But like the Cadillac CT6, which is a decent car, the biggest problem is in the name Lincoln. Though old and full of heritage, it doesn't have the panache that it once did. They won't ever be a BMW or Mercedes, just like Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac, Jaguar or Genesis won't be. But I think it's okay that everybody does something a little different.

Rolls Royce has suicide doors. I like it this features for Lincoln. Go Continental Go!
I like the addition because it's unique.

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think it's kind of cool. Will it "save" the Continental? No, I suspect not. But it's a unique feature that they will no doubt market the hell out of and get people talking about it again.
Excellent point
Old 12-13-18, 02:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And you might get some people who might buy one to pretend they have a Rolls Royce, but that doesn't move the brand forward.

People don't buy Rolls Royces because they have suicide doors, the product itself is what sells. Adding suicide doors to a Continental without improving the issues with the product doesn't have a whole lot of point.
Maybe a Continental is what you really want? Or course it has no point but it's fun for car enthusiasts

Old 12-13-18, 02:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I like the addition because it's unique.

Excellent point
100% agree.
Old 12-13-18, 02:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Even if Lincoln made it RWD, this would not solve it's problems. Taking lessons from the newer Navigator would be a step in the right direction. But like the Cadillac CT6, which is a decent car, the biggest problem is in the name Lincoln. Though old and full of heritage, it doesn't have the panache that it once did. They won't ever be a BMW or Mercedes, just like Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac, Jaguar or Genesis won't be. But I think it's okay that everybody does something a little different.
FWD is just one issue in a line of issues with the Continental. It doesn't ride especially well, it doesn't feel especially refined, its not especially quiet. Quiet frankly...its just not a really nice car compared with the competition its supposed to be competing with.

Lincoln CAN make a product that doesn't have those shortcomings. For instance I wouldn't say any of those things about the Navigator, and my guess is I won't about the Aviator either.

I'd rather have seen that R&D money and testing and all done on those suicide doors spent on better powertrain refinement, better suspension setup, etc.
Old 12-13-18, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe a Continental is what you really want? Or course it has no point but it's fun for car enthusiasts
Those people exist...but where are they? The car isn't selling...suicide doors aren't going to change that. Its not an "enthusiast" car.
Old 12-13-18, 02:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Those people exist...but where are they? The car isn't selling...suicide doors aren't going to change that. Its not an "enthusiast" car.
Anyone (ie enthusiasts) who likes cars should appreciate what Lincoln is doing with these suicide doors.
Old 12-13-18, 02:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Lincoln is selling about 600-700 Continentals per month and for the year to date it's -30% vs. LY. and there most likely are a lot of fleet sales in their numbers. I don't know what their sales targets are.

It seems that the new Navigator, Nautilus and Aviator will be grabbing a good number of Lincoln buyers and there probably isn't much room left for Continental sales. The suicide doors may not be enough.
Old 12-13-18, 03:00 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The big issue isn't whether it's got center opening doors or not. It's Ford's whole strategy of abandoning this market and opting to go full SUV/CUV. It's a compelling car for traditional car shoppers, but it needed to start out either as a longitudtionally mounted FWD/AWD drivetrain or a RWD/AWD setup in the first place. This is just some nice cotton candy to milk the last dollars out of huge money spent on this car to try and bring back a classic nameplate.

They likely could have waited and went with an elongated 2020 or later RWD platform, if they were serious about doing a proper Continental. At this point you can go buy a Navigator and even step down to an Aviator with just as much luxe.
Old 12-13-18, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Anyone (ie enthusiasts) who likes cars should appreciate what Lincoln is doing with these suicide doors.
I'm certainly a car enthusiast, I obviously like cars, but I'm not a "retro" guy, and I don't like gimmicks. So, these doors don't impress me.

For instance, even in a Rolls Royce I would prefer regular doors as the suicide doors are just a throwback gimmick.
Old 12-13-18, 03:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
The big issue isn't whether it's got center opening doors or not. It's Ford's whole strategy of abandoning this market and opting to go full SUV/CUV. It's a compelling car for traditional car shoppers, but it needed to start out either as a longitudtionally mounted FWD/AWD drivetrain or a RWD/AWD setup in the first place. This is just some nice cotton candy to milk the last dollars out of huge money spent on this car to try and bring back a classic nameplate.

They likely could have waited and went with an elongated 2020 or later RWD platform, if they were serious about doing a proper Continental. At this point you can go buy a Navigator and even step down to an Aviator with just as much luxe.
All the talk about making it a rwd set up won't make a difference. It is crystal clear, consumers in the United States will not pay inflated prices for large American sedans like they would for MB, BMW or Audi models. There is perception about American large cars.
Old 12-13-18, 03:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Agreed.

Quick Reply: No One Is Buying The Lincoln Continental