Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No One Is Buying The Lincoln Continental

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18 | 06:51 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The objective of Caddy and Lincoln is not to build a better/cheaper Toyota/Honda, but a better/cheaper Lexus/Acura. In some ways, they succeed....in others, not.
I do not disagree, but my argument still stands. Are shoppers going into the showrooms to look at the cheaper Lexus/Acura? If they are, why are they not buying the better/cheaper Lexus/Acura?

Attract the shoppers to look at the product. Prove to those shoppers that the product is better. Something here is failing.
Old 03-27-18 | 06:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I actually did quite a few test drives. For me, the MKX was the best of what I drove. Best driver's seat, best ride, and best performance (turbo V-6). The XT5 wasn't even close. The RX350 met all my requirements even if not quite as nice as the MKX. The decision maker was the quality of the dealership experience. I have bought/leased 7 cars from the Lexus dealership and am totally happy with their sales and service practices.
I feel like you regarding the MKX. I really liked the SUV both inside and out, and still do. A while back I gave it a very close look but just couldn't pull the trigger on one due to the uncertainty of the Lincoln brand at the time, and the experience at the two dealerships that I visited wasn't too good. There is a Lincoln only dealership not too far from me which I haven't been in, so don't know if it's better.
Old 03-27-18 | 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's true at higher speeds and/or hard cornering, where center-of-gravity and front-vs.-rear torque-distribution issues from the center differential come into play. But for most normal driving, and especially the type of driving that a typical Continental owner would do, it's not much of a factor.
It has a huge impact on vehicle feel, and vehicle look.

A FWD based vehicle is DOA in this segment.
Old 03-27-18 | 07:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
Yes, go drive one. But first, you have to get shoppers into the Lincoln and Cadillac showrooms.

Are the shoppers looking at Lincolns and Cadillacs? What is there to attract shoppers to look at them? Using Hyundai and Kia as examples, are these American luxury brands "building better, cheaper Toyotas and Hondas"? If they are, who is telling the shoppers that and how are they being told?

Assuming that shoppers are looking at these brands, why are they not buying them? Is it because Lincoln and Cadillac are, in fact, NOT "building better, cheaper Toyotas and Hondas"?
Does the price really need to be cheaper if the car is superior? I would think the price could be competitive as long as the Hyundai or Lincoln is far superior. Far superior would include the initial product, dealer, service and then word of mouth regarding how long the car or suv lasts.
Old 03-27-18 | 07:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I do not disagree, but my argument still stands. Are shoppers going into the showrooms to look at the cheaper Lexus/Acura? If they are, why are they not buying the better/cheaper Lexus/Acura?

Attract the shoppers to look at the product. Prove to those shoppers that the product is better. Something here is failing.
What's failing is that many people form their opinions on what their experience was 20 or 30 years ago, not what the manufacturers are actually offering today....I see this time and time again, especially with Kia and Hyundai, but with other brands was well. Manufacturers can do a lot of things (and today's manufacturers are doing them)...but, like I said in my reply to Jill, John Q. Public has to take some time out from the daily grind and actually go to the dealership...or somewhere else where they can see and drive the vehicle. IMO, you can't decide on a new car sitting in front of a computer or TV set, looking at images. (or even reading MM reviews LOL)
Old 03-27-18 | 07:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What's failing is that many people form their opinions on what their experience was 20 or 30 years ago, not what the manufacturers are actually offering today....ID
This is what I have been hammering home. I don’t think Lincoln or Cadillac can ever shed their past reputations.
Old 03-27-18 | 11:24 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

This is what I have been hammering home. I don’t think Lincoln or Cadillac can ever shed their past reputations.
They actually can but it isn't easy. Audi has shed it's reputation as the car with unintended acceleration by consistently producing good cars. Hyundai to a degree has begun to shed it's reputation for building what Mike call "junk" by building nice reliable cars. For Cadillac to return to "The Standard for the World" it will have to build outstanding cars for several generations. What we have seen so far is the CT6 with a great chassis let down by substandard power trains and cheap interior. With the new turbo V-8, they have addressed one of the failings. Now for an interior that rivals the best in the world. Picture a CT6 with a 550hp V-8, 10 speed auto, and the LS500 interior. Finally, they would have a car worthy of $100K pricing. But in today's world, it would be outsold by the Escalade truck.

I think Lincoln has taken a short cut back to some status as a luxury product and its name is Navigator.
Old 03-28-18 | 04:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

"ever" is a long time, but they certainly can't with lame cars like the continental. the ct6 is a fine car too but an odd 'tweener' size.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-28-18 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-28-18 | 06:15 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

I think it is a combination of the luxobarge sedan decline (heck, even the regular sedan demand as the Accord isn't immune) along with the brand perception that Lincoln has. I've seen (never driven) a handful of Continental's at the Hertz/Avis rental car lots, to mmarshall's point the interior quality is far from true luxury.

Even a fully-specced-out Continental ranked dead last when compared to a 7-series, LS500 and the G90 as per Motortrend 3 months ago:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/genes...ontinental-30/
Old 03-28-18 | 06:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

"ever" is a long time, but they certainly can't with lame cars like the continental. the ct6 is a fine car too but an odd 'teeener' size.
So what is it going to take? I think think the perception thing is a hard problem to overcome, however I do not think the product is that bad. Is Sulu right in that they need to make better cars for the less money or something along those lines.
Old 03-28-18 | 06:29 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

What's failing is that many people form their opinions on what their experience was 20 or 30 years ago, not what the manufacturers are actually offering today....I see this time and time again, especially with Kia and Hyundai, but with other brands was well. Manufacturers can do a lot of things (and today's manufacturers are doing them)...but, like I said in my reply to Jill, John Q. Public has to take some time out from the daily grind and actually go to the dealership...or somewhere else where they can see and drive the vehicle. IMO, you can't decide on a new car sitting in front of a computer or TV set, looking at images. (or even reading MM reviews LOL)
You have answered the question -- shoppers are not going to the dealerships. Merely having a model on the showroom floor may not be enough to lure people in.

Shoppers may not know where the showroom is; it may be hidden by something.

The model may not look special enough. It -- especially a luxury vehicle -- has to stand out from other products.

Shoppers may not even know that there are vehicles worth looking at. Is the marketing appropriate to attract shoppers to the showrooms?
Old 03-28-18 | 07:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

So what is it going to take? I think think the perception thing is a hard problem to overcome, however I do not think the product is that bad. Is Sulu right in that they need to make better cars for the less money or something along those lines.
"not that bad" isn't good enough, that's the problem.

the perception thing can be overcome by product excellence. this is not excellent. this is a tarted up fusion/taurus.
Old 03-29-18 | 06:52 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
"not that bad" isn't good enough, that's the problem.

the perception thing can be overcome by product excellence. this is not excellent. this is a tarted up fusion/taurus.
These days, consumers are more informed about platform sharing. While great for the automaker, consumers are smartening up, and realizing they can get a fully loaded Fusion with more features than the base Lincoln model.

Maybe its the automaker's fault for down marketing luxury features to economy cars (5-10 years ago, you wouldn't think a Hyundai Elantra would have heated rear seats and be available with semi autonomous safety tech). The gap between the mainstream and luxury brands are blending.
Old 03-29-18 | 07:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Maybe its the automaker's fault for down marketing luxury features to economy cars (5-10 years ago, you wouldn't think a Hyundai Elantra would have heated rear seats and be available with semi autonomous safety tech). The gap between the mainstream and luxury brands are blending.
it's true that almost all features are coming down to even traditionally considered 'economy cars', however there's still a big difference in other areas such as materials used, audio system quality, ride refinement, power delivery refinement, seat adjustment sophistication, etc. there's still some features typically not found on lower end cars like adaptive (turning) headlights, remote starting, adaptive suspensions, heads up displays, power tilt/telescope wheel, etc.
Old 03-30-18 | 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wandl
I think it is a combination of the luxobarge sedan decline (heck, even the regular sedan demand as the Accord isn't immune) along with the brand perception that Lincoln has. I've seen (never driven) a handful of Continental's at the Hertz/Avis rental car lots, to mmarshall's point the interior quality is far from true luxury.

Even a fully-specced-out Continental ranked dead last when compared to a 7-series, LS500 and the G90 as per Motortrend 3 months ago:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/genes...ontinental-30/
I read that article. The difference between the four cars, in MT's view, was not that great.

Quick Reply: No One Is Buying The Lincoln Continental