Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Amber rear turn-signals be standard on American-market new vehicles?
Yes, yellows are safer, and DOT/NHTSA should make them standard.
43.59%
No, they are not needed, and are overhyped.
30.77%
No, automakers have enough costs and demands on new vehicles.
10.26%
Let it be an option on new vehicles for those who want them.
12.82%
No, if you can't tell red from yellow, you shouldn't have a Driver's License.
28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Should Amber-colored rear turn-signals be standard on American-market vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 10:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 05ls430518
I honestly feel that it does not matter because the majority of drivers on the road today seem to think that blinkers are optional as well as stop signs, yield signs, and red lights.
You left out that nobody pays attention anyway...always texting and driving or dialing and driving
Old 03-18-18, 12:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I honestly feel that it does not matter because the majority of drivers on the road today seem to think that blinkers are optional as well as stop signs, yield signs, and red lights.
Nothing wrong with a California Roll, so long as you're paying attention
Old 03-18-18, 04:02 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

It doesn’t need to be amber in color. Just make them LED and Independent (or separate) from the brake light assembly. Audi and BMW’s newer models has full LED brake and turn signals in the rear assembly.
Old 03-18-18, 10:41 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like yellow, but its understandable why red is used. The yellow and white reverse bulbs needs its own section on the taillights because of thermal reasons. Without adequate spacing the bulb will melt the surrounding plastic parts. If you get rid of the yellow section and just use the red bulb, you'll save money and spacing. You can then use that money and put it into brighter LED DRLs.
Old 03-19-18, 08:10 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I don't see the need, I can tell a blinking red light means they're turning.

What I do wish the government would mandate is turn signal lights mounted on the front fender.

This has been standard and required in Europe for decades, its on this 1980's BMW. When you are on the interstate/multiple lane highway and want to change lanes, there is always that guy two lanes over in your blind spot who is also changing lanes right into the same space you are going for. Neither of you can see each other's turn signals and end up almost colliding. Even turn signals on the mirrors like many newer cars aren't as effective as the signal in the fender. Depending on the angle of the car, you can't see the front or back side of the mirror where the bulb is mounted.
this wouldn't help much in South Florida since turn signals seems to be a thing of the past.
Old 03-19-18, 09:09 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Yes, should be amber, but clear with yellow bulbs or LEDs is fine. And they should be near the brake lights, not like on Kia and was it Rover where the lights are in the bumper?

While we are at it, ban rear fog lamps in the USA. The main reason is they tend to appear like brake lights, and we cannot legally drive 250km/hr+ like they can in Europe. Many drivers operate their vehicles with them on 100% of the time--not good.
Old 03-19-18, 09:28 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
While we are at it, ban rear fog lamps in the USA. The main reason is they tend to appear like brake lights, and we cannot legally drive 250km/hr+ like they can in Europe. Many drivers operate their vehicles with them on 100% of the time--not good.
I agree these should be banned. Not because there's an inherent problem with them, but because Americans are too stupid to know how/when to use them, and therefore they can only serve as an annoyance to others.
Old 03-19-18, 10:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What is a rear fog light? Do you have a pic? Never heard of them before.
Old 03-19-18, 10:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Here's a YouTube...my problem with them is they are as bright as brake lights. It's amazing what we learned from our parents--as a teen I installed Hella fogs on my mom's car, and my dad thought they were stupid. When I would take the plastic covers off, my dad would say just what are you doing? He was ok that if I felt they looked cool, so be it, but never turn them on, that is somehow an unnecessary aggressive move against other motorists. So I never use fogs unless it's a white out....

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-s-fault-is-it
Old 03-19-18, 11:31 AM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as the lense is a clear color instead of amber, I don't mind whichever color they use for the rear turn signals.

It seems that way these days unfortunately.
Old 03-19-18, 02:50 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Wunko
As long as the lense is a clear color instead of amber, I don't mind whichever color they use for the rear turn signals.
Yeah, this is ultimately a styling choice by the manufacturer in some cases. I tend to prefer white lenses with amber lights.
Old 03-19-18, 06:54 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

A rear fog lamp is the rear red taillamp equivalent of the front fog lamp. It comes on when the fog lamps are turned on and is brighter red than the normal taillamp, so that people following a car with a rear fog lamp on may become confused and think that the brake lamp is on.

I have not seen many in Canada and the USA. In Europe, on cars with a factory-installed rear fog lamp, I noticed that it replaced the white reversing lamp on one side of the vehicle (if I remember correctly, it was the driver side white reversing lamp that was replaced with the darker-shaded red rear fog lamp).

The problem with them in Canada and the USA is that too many people drive with full headlamps AND fog lamps burning even if it is not completely dark or when the weather is clear. These people driving cars with factory-installed fog lamps leave the fog lamp switch on at all times so that whenever the headlamps come on, so do the fog lamps. Often, this is overkill and bothers on-coming drivers with all that white light.

If the car also comes with a rear fog lamp, leaving the fog lamp on all the time also leaves the rear fog lamp on at all times so that when full headlamps come on (even if it is not completely dark outside yet), the front and rear fog lamps also come on.
Old 03-19-18, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Some good responses in this thread so far, on both sides of the issue.
Old 03-19-18, 07:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I had a Q5 with (2) rear fog lights and there were separate switches for the front and rear fogs. I used them only a couple of times in real bad weather. When they were on they did look like brake lights and could be confusing to drivers who didn't know what they were.
Old 03-20-18, 03:11 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I had a Q5 with (2) rear fog lights and there were separate switches for the front and rear fogs. I used them only a couple of times in real bad weather. When they were on they did look like brake lights and could be confusing to drivers who didn't know what they were.
This is the typical configuration. I have not seen any cars where the front and rear fogs have a single shared control as indicated in a prior post. My BMW is actually physically equipped with rear fog lights, but the US gets a different version of the headlight switch module that has one button for the front fogs, and a blank where the button for the rear fogs should be. They've long ago figured out how dumb we are don't know why VWAG hasn't yet.

The problem is combining cars that have a setup like yours, with idiot drivers who always flip/push both switches as soon as dusk hits.

Quick Reply: Should Amber-colored rear turn-signals be standard on American-market vehicles?