Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Amber rear turn-signals be standard on American-market new vehicles?
Yes, yellows are safer, and DOT/NHTSA should make them standard.
43.59%
No, they are not needed, and are overhyped.
30.77%
No, automakers have enough costs and demands on new vehicles.
10.26%
Let it be an option on new vehicles for those who want them.
12.82%
No, if you can't tell red from yellow, you shouldn't have a Driver's License.
28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Should Amber-colored rear turn-signals be standard on American-market vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 05:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
A rear fog lamp is the rear red taillamp equivalent of the front fog lamp. It comes on when the fog lamps are turned on and is brighter red than the normal taillamp, so that people following a car with a rear fog lamp on may become confused and think that the brake lamp is on.

I have not seen many in Canada and the USA. In Europe, on cars with a factory-installed rear fog lamp, I noticed that it replaced the white reversing lamp on one side of the vehicle (if I remember correctly, it was the driver side white reversing lamp that was replaced with the darker-shaded red rear fog lamp).

The problem with them in Canada and the USA is that too many people drive with full headlamps AND fog lamps burning even if it is not completely dark or when the weather is clear. These people driving cars with factory-installed fog lamps leave the fog lamp switch on at all times so that whenever the headlamps come on, so do the fog lamps. Often, this is overkill and bothers on-coming drivers with all that white light.

If the car also comes with a rear fog lamp, leaving the fog lamp on all the time also leaves the rear fog lamp on at all times so that when full headlamps come on (even if it is not completely dark outside yet), the front and rear fog lamps also come on.
I think another problem is too much of the DRLs nowadays are for style, nothing more. I think in the old days, having headlamps on, but dimmed, served the intended purpose of DRLs. In my mind, Audi was ahead on this and would even state that the use of LEDs reduces the carbon footprint. I somehow doubt that a Kia or GM has any documentation that this is the case, whereas Audi would.

And I don't know where the DOT steps in. Someone stated (correctly I believe) that there are regs stating that when a turn signal goes on, that side has to dim its DRL within blah blah blah inches or something to that extent (seen on so many cars). Well my E92 BMW does the opposite. When I signal, the inner light turns on as a cornering light so the side that is signaling gets even brighter than when on DRLs. Maybe BMW was too small to follow the rules or was never caught from 2007-2010.
Old 03-20-18, 06:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think another problem is too much of the DRLs nowadays are for style, nothing more. I think in the old days, having headlamps on, but dimmed, served the intended purpose of DRLs. In my mind, Audi was ahead on this and would even state that the use of LEDs reduces the carbon footprint. I somehow doubt that a Kia or GM has any documentation that this is the case, whereas Audi would.

And I don't know where the DOT steps in. Someone stated (correctly I believe) that there are regs stating that when a turn signal goes on, that side has to dim its DRL within blah blah blah inches or something to that extent (seen on so many cars). Well my E92 BMW does the opposite. When I signal, the inner light turns on as a cornering light so the side that is signaling gets even brighter than when on DRLs. Maybe BMW was too small to follow the rules or was never caught from 2007-2010.
I agree. DRL are now for style.
Old 03-20-18, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I agree. DRL are now for style.

Not quite. Here in Virginia, although (technically) the law says that full-headlights have to be used with wipers and/or in low-visibility conditions, the DRLs on most of today's vehicles are good enough that I've never been stopped or gotten a ticket while used them, even with wipers on. Besides, both my Verano and Lacrosse had an "auto" features that automatically bumped the lights up to full-strength (and back to DRL) as visibility conditions changed. A dashboard light would indicate what mode the system was in. You could often notice that driving through tunnels, underpasses, or even of a big cloud suddenly moved in overhead and cut down on the sunlight.
Old 03-20-18, 07:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not quite. Here in Virginia, although (technically) the law says that full-headlights have to be used with wipers and/or in low-visibility conditions, the DRLs on most of today's vehicles are good enough that I've never been stopped or gotten a ticket while used them, even with wipers on. Besides, both my Verano and Lacrosse had an "auto" features that automatically bumped the lights up to full-strength (and back to DRL) as visibility conditions changed. A dashboard light would indicate what mode the system was in. You could often notice that driving through tunnels, underpasses, or even of a big cloud suddenly moved in overhead and cut down on the sunlight.
We were talking about DRLs being designed for style and I agreed with Johnhave430. Not auto headlights or the law when you put your wipers on.
Old 03-20-18, 07:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

We were talking about DRLs being designed for style and I agreed with Johnnyhave430. Not auto headlights or the law when you put your wipers on.

Understood, but my point was that style and substance, though often at odds, aren't always mutually exclusive.
Old 03-20-18, 07:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Understood, but my point was that style and substance, though often at odds, aren't always mutually exclusive.
A bit confused about what you are trying to say.
Old 03-20-18, 07:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

A bit confused about what you are trying to say.
Very simple. Modern DRLs, even if stylish, do seem to function pretty well as ticket-preventers when the wipers are on. But we're getting a little off the topic...turn-signals.

One thing I like about my Lacrosse is that the headlights/DRLs don't go off on one side when the front turn-signals are flashing, like on many new vehicles. It means the manufacturer spent the money to wire the two systems separately.
Old 03-20-18, 07:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

One thing I like about my Lacrosse is that the headlights/DRLs don't go off on one side when the front turn-signals are flashing, like on many new vehicles. It means the manufacturer spent the money to wire the two systems separately.
I am not sure if it is a spending money thing, but you could be right. I always thought it was a styling thing. BTW. The nighttime headlight does not go off when signaling. It is just the daytime brightness. I believe it is done for safety reasons depending on the design.
Old 03-20-18, 08:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

I am not sure if it is a spending money thing, but you could be right. I always thought it was a styling thing. BTW. The nighttime headlight does not go off when signaling. It is just the daytime brightness. I believe it is done for safety reasons depending on the design.
I seem to remember it being about the turn signal potentially being obscured by the DRL. On my IS, for instance, they are far enough apart that the DRL stays on when the turn signal flashes. If they are in the same housing, like on a Ford Fusion, the DRL will go dark while the turn signal is on.
Old 03-20-18, 08:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
I seem to remember it being about the turn signal potentially being obscured by the DRL. On my IS, for instance, they are far enough apart that the DRL stays on when the turn signal flashes. If they are in the same housing, like on a Ford Fusion, the DRL will go dark while the turn signal is on.
Yes. That is what I was under the impression of as well. Still pretty sophisticated because it needs to work two different ways when DRLs are working vs when they are not.
Old 03-20-18, 12:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To me, more so than whether the turn signal is amber or red, I think that the turn signal should be separate from the bulb/LEDs that are used for the brake lights.
Old 03-20-18, 12:40 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I don't see the need, I can tell a blinking red light means they're turning.

What I do wish the government would mandate is turn signal lights mounted on the front fender.

This has been standard and required in Europe for decades, its on this 1980's BMW. When you are on the interstate/multiple lane highway and want to change lanes, there is always that guy two lanes over in your blind spot who is also changing lanes right into the same space you are going for. Neither of you can see each other's turn signals and end up almost colliding. Even turn signals on the mirrors like many newer cars aren't as effective as the signal in the fender. Depending on the angle of the car, you can't see the front or back side of the mirror where the bulb is mounted.
I actually think that moving the fender turn signals to the side mirrors is better--newer cars tend have a little portion of the turn signal that can be seen from behind.
Old 03-20-18, 12:44 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

What is a rear fog light? Do you have a pic? Never heard of them before.
Really? A lot of Euro models have them. For the longest time, I thought it was just one of the brake lights stuck "on".

The point is, in FOG, one of the tail lights has the higher intensity of a brake light, and makes it easier to see your car coming up on it from behind. The problem is that most drivers don't know what they are, and just hit the "on" button all the time--I find it annoying driving behind them.
Old 03-20-18, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Really? A lot of Euro models have them. For the longest time, I thought it was just one of the brake lights stuck "on".

The point is, in FOG, one of the tail lights has the higher intensity of a brake light, and makes it easier to see your car coming up on it from behind. The problem is that most drivers don't know what they are, and just hit the "on" button all the time--I find it annoying driving behind them.
I see what is meant by rear fog lamps. I too always just thought the brake lights or something were malfunctioning.
Old 03-20-18, 02:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The few times I used mine I felt like people behind me were thinking I was driving with my left foot resting on the brake pedal.

Quick Reply: Should Amber-colored rear turn-signals be standard on American-market vehicles?