Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Amber rear turn-signals be standard on American-market new vehicles?
Yes, yellows are safer, and DOT/NHTSA should make them standard.
43.59%
No, they are not needed, and are overhyped.
30.77%
No, automakers have enough costs and demands on new vehicles.
10.26%
Let it be an option on new vehicles for those who want them.
12.82%
No, if you can't tell red from yellow, you shouldn't have a Driver's License.
28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Should Amber-colored rear turn-signals be standard on American-market vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-18, 02:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I am not sure if it is a spending money thing, but you could be right. I always thought it was a styling thing. BTW.

Possibly both.
Old 03-20-18, 11:32 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, because sometimes you can't tell if drivers are braking or using their turn signal. Especially the BMW drivers. You rarely see one actually using their turn signals. I was caught in a situation once when I almost rear ended an Audi because of their atrocious taillights. The Audi driver tapped on his brakes and I couldn't tell if he wanted to change lanes or not. Turns out he tapped on his brakes for no reason, and just sped forward. The bright Audi taillights didn't even help out the situation; it made it worse.

In a quick thinking situation, there's no time to debate if the car ahead of you is braking or using their turn signal (emergency flashers), even for a split second.
Old 03-20-18, 11:48 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Here are my arguments for the other multiple choices:

No, they are not needed, and are overhyped.
How are they overhyped? Turn signals date back to 1940s when they are made as a safety feature. More like automakers chose red turn signals in exchange for looks and styling, instead of practical safety.
No, automakers have enough costs and demands on new vehicles.
How hard is it to replace a red bulb to an orange bulb? Even Toyotas with red taillights have orange bulbs installed (like the new current 2018 Corollas).
Let it be an option on new vehicles for those who want them.
If a driver encountered a car with an orange bulb signal the first time, they will think the same car they will encounter in the future will have the same orange bulb. Easily mistaken as a brake light if the driver chose red bulbs instead of orange.
No, if you can't tell red from yellow, you shouldn't have a Driver's License.
Carmakers place their turn signals all over the car, ranging from the top (like Honda CRVs) to the bumper (like Chevys). Adding to the time it takes for you to know where the turn signal is located, you don't have much time to debate if the driver is using their brakes or their turn signals. You can be in a situation where you need to decide in a split second to avoid an accident.

Last edited by b2884987; 03-20-18 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-21-18, 11:30 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987
Yes, because sometimes you can't tell if drivers are braking or using their turn signal. Especially the BMW drivers. You rarely see one actually using their turn signals. I was caught in a situation once when I almost rear ended an Audi because of their atrocious taillights. The Audi driver tapped on his brakes and I couldn't tell if he wanted to change lanes or not. Turns out he tapped on his brakes for no reason, and just sped forward. The bright Audi taillights didn't even help out the situation; it made it worse.

In a quick thinking situation, there's no time to debate if the car ahead of you is braking or using their turn signal (emergency flashers), even for a split second.
Agreed. I was reminded of this yesterday morning as I was driving morning rush hour commuter traffic on the busy highway here in Southern Ontario.

I keep my eyes open for any change in taillights in the cars directly in front of me, and in the cars in the lanes on either side of me. When I notice in my peripheral vision a sudden change in a taillight in the lane to the right of me, I want to know if the car is just braking or signalling to change into my lane.

If the car uses red for all taillight functions, including the turn signal, I cannot tell right away if the driver is braking to slow down or is signalling to change lanes. This gets frustrating on a busy highway with so many impatient drivers wanting to weave in and out to gain a little distance.
Old 03-21-18, 11:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here are my arguments for the other multiple choices:

How are they overhyped? Turn signals date back to 1940s when they are made as a safety feature. More like automakers chose red turn signals in exchange for looks and styling, instead of practical safety.
I was referring the question of amber vs. red, not the turn signals themselves, which, yes, DO go back to the 1940s.

How hard is it to replace a red bulb to an orange bulb? Even Toyotas with red taillights have orange bulbs installed (like the new current 2018 Corollas).
It's not aways as simple as a bulb-change. Depends how the bulb-sockets, wiring, relays, and turn-signal hardware are attached and designed.

Carmakers place their turn signals all over the car, ranging from the top (like Honda CRVs) to the bumper (like Chevys). Adding to the time it takes for you to know where the turn signal is located, you don't have much time to debate if the driver is using their brakes or their turn signals. You can be in a situation where you need to decide in a split second to avoid an accident.

.....and, IMO, a flashing amber light, no matter where it is located, because of the contrast, is easier to decipher in a split-second than a flashing red one mixed in with other steady red lights.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-18 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-21-18, 11:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

.....and, IMO, a flashing amber light, no matter where it is located, because of the contrast, is easier to decipher in a split-second than a flashing red one mixed in with other steady red lights.
I believe this is documented and correct.
Old 03-21-18, 11:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
If the car uses red for all taillight functions, including the turn signal, I cannot tell right away if the driver is braking to slow down or is signalling to change lanes. This gets frustrating on a busy highway with so many impatient drivers wanting to weave in and out to gain a little distance.
Sounds like you are going way too fast. Following to closely to the cars in front.
Old 03-21-18, 05:34 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Sounds like you are going way too fast. Following to closely to the cars in front.
This is a vehicle in the lane to my right.

Last edited by Sulu; 03-21-18 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-21-18, 08:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Agreed. I was reminded of this yesterday morning as I was driving morning rush hour commuter traffic on the busy highway here in Southern Ontario.

I keep my eyes open for any change in taillights in the cars directly in front of me, and in the cars in the lanes on either side of me. When I notice in my peripheral vision a sudden change in a taillight in the lane to the right of me, I want to know if the car is just braking or signalling to change into my lane.

Ideally you'd have the center brake light to help tell for sure if the brakes are on, right? I can agree, that's not easy to spot in a split second - but then, usually (except in some cases like the Dodge Durango with its large tail lights) the brake lights are bigger/brighter than the tail lights.I think the point about whether the brakes are on is kinda moot when we are discussing turning indicators, since those A) don't trigger the center brake light and B) are flashing in some way, not just on continuously.
Old 03-22-18, 04:16 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I think the locale makes a huge difference. Since last Dec., I have spent 2 solid weeks in the GTA, and not experienced 1 example of aggressive driving. That would not be the case where I live, nor in Montreal. When I moved to the Phila. area, I posted a serious question, asking why people drive with no signals in PA, DE, DC, VA, MD? Maybe less so in MD. Someone gave an honest answer--there is a tendency that if you signal, a vehicle accelerates making it impossible for you to make a lane change. It's generally more effective if you just go.

The other thing I noticed in the GTA, when I kept an intersection open, every single car that turned left across my path, gave a thank you wave. Where I live it would likely be < 50%. These are all regional behaviors. KY? IN? What a joke it's like we're all friends going down the highway together, probably can go months without any aggressive driving.

edit: point being maybe it really doesn't matter at all that amber is the way to go, some don't agree, many don't even use them anyway
Old 03-22-18, 09:06 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by arentz07
Ideally you'd have the center brake light to help tell for sure if the brakes are on, right? I can agree, that's not easy to spot in a split second - but then, usually (except in some cases like the Dodge Durango with its large tail lights) the brake lights are bigger/brighter than the tail lights.I think the point about whether the brakes are on is kinda moot when we are discussing turning indicators, since those A) don't trigger the center brake light and B) are flashing in some way, not just on continuously.
I am talking about vehicles in lanes immediately to the right or left of where I am. From my peripheral vision, when I notice a flash in the taillights, the other car is not yet far enough ahead for me to notice if the centre-mounted brake light is on or not. But I still want to know if the other driver is braking or signalling to turn (and I would slow down if possible to let them in).
Old 03-22-18, 11:03 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Some people don't bother to change their center brake light when they get burnt out.
Old 03-23-18, 05:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Some people don't bother to change their center brake light when they get burnt out.
I bought my LS430 used, and it passed a NYS inspection at purchase, with a burned out bulb. Luckily it was nothing more than a 7440 bulb. On my Maxima, I was failed because the LED light bar in the spoiler was dimmed over the years--that was a scam. Shop wanted $400 to fix it, queue the Hall and Oates.
Old 03-23-18, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I think the locale makes a huge difference. Since last Dec., I have spent 2 solid weeks in the GTA, and not experienced 1 example of aggressive driving. That would not be the case where I live, nor in Montreal. When I moved to the Phila. area, I posted a serious question, asking why people drive with no signals in PA, DE, DC, VA, MD? Maybe less so in MD. Someone gave an honest answer--there is a tendency that if you signal, a vehicle accelerates making it impossible for you to make a lane change. It's generally more effective if you just go.

The other thing I noticed in the GTA, when I kept an intersection open, every single car that turned left across my path, gave a thank you wave. Where I live it would likely be < 50%. These are all regional behaviors. KY? IN? What a joke it's like we're all friends going down the highway together, probably can go months without any aggressive driving.

edit: point being maybe it really doesn't matter at all that amber is the way to go, some don't agree, many don't even use them anyway
I live in the D.C. area (Fairfax County / Northern VA) and I'd say that majority of the drivers here, though pressed for time in our notoriously dense traffic, are usually courteous. There IS, however, as you note, a (fortunately, a small minority) hard-core class of road-hogs that believe the road is pretty much theirs, no matter who else is on it. Though all vehicles, to some extent, have both good and bad drivers, the worst, in general, seem to be the higher-powered (V8) Mustangs and almost any version of the BMW 3-series.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-23-18 at 06:30 AM.