Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rust issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-18, 09:10 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

There are still a fair number of 20+ year old Camrys and Corollas up here in Southern Ontario, where a lot of salt is used, but I see very, very few with any visible rust problems. The older Lexus ES models that I see generally do not have a rust problem either. Older Mazdas, however, tend to have rust problems in the lower rear quarter panel, immediately behind the rear wheel.

The German cars also do not seem to have a visible rust problem. The Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van, however, does seem to have some problem but it is not locations that you would expect, such as bottoms of doors. I see quite a few with rust stains around the rear barndoor windows and spots of rust all over the rest of the upper body.
Old 03-19-18, 09:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
There are still a fair number of 20+ year old Camrys and Corollas up here in Southern Ontario, where a lot of salt is used, but I see very, very few with any visible rust problems. The older Lexus ES models that I see generally do not have a rust problem either. Older Mazdas, however, tend to have rust problems in the lower rear quarter panel, immediately behind the rear wheel.

The German cars also do not seem to have a visible rust problem. The Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van, however, does seem to have some problem but it is not locations that you would expect, such as bottoms of doors. I see quite a few with rust stains around the rear barndoor windows and spots of rust all over the rest of the upper body.
Maybe you can explain it to me as the people in the office could not. I spent a lot of late Dec., Jan, and early Feb in Toronto. So many cars, even very nice ones, are caked with salt/dirt, and this caking cannot be from one snowstorm. It's as if the vehicles have not been washed an entire season. Is this an indication of leased vehicles? I can't imagine not washing if it's our own. I told folks we have 2 cars on a $20/mo. plan carwash, and they laughed. Apparently no such plan at a number like that in Toronto.
Old 03-19-18, 01:34 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting thread, I've owned Lexus/Toyota's for the last 18 years and never had or heard of a rust problem. I did own a Datsun 240z that was a rust bucket but that was a different era.

I've lived on the west coast of Florida for the last 9 yrs and never heard anyone complain of rust. We see what is called "sea fog" that rolls in the mornings and lasts til 11am some days. I wonder if that is salt droplets? I also see a lot of older cars here that amaze me that are totally rust free.and not German made.

I remember back when I lived up north in snow and salt country you could expect to replace your brand new muffler and tailpipe every two years but that isn't the case anymore. What a racket that was.
Old 03-19-18, 01:41 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

quote: Mmarshall, ............such as with the Air Force, that are primarily based inland, with only a few bases on the coast, usually don't need.

I find that comment curious. The AF has bases all over the world, including the small Island in the Pacific I was based at.
Old 03-19-18, 06:27 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Maybe you can explain it to me as the people in the office could not. I spent a lot of late Dec., Jan, and early Feb in Toronto. So many cars, even very nice ones, are caked with salt/dirt, and this caking cannot be from one snowstorm. It's as if the vehicles have not been washed an entire season. Is this an indication of leased vehicles? I can't imagine not washing if it's our own. I told folks we have 2 cars on a $20/mo. plan carwash, and they laughed. Apparently no such plan at a number like that in Toronto.
A salt-caked vehicle is not from one snowstorm but from daily commuting on salt-covered streets and highways. Are they leased vehicles? Who can tell, unless you go, tap on the window and ask the driver.

You cannot make conclusions just from being here a few days at a time.

As for carwash subscription services, one (or perhaps more) gas station chains offer this service but it is not widely advertised. The one I have seen also seems expensive.
Old 03-19-18, 06:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
quote: Mmarshall, ............such as with the Air Force, that are primarily based inland, with only a few bases on the coast, usually don't need.

I find that comment curious. The AF has bases all over the world, including the small Island in the Pacific I was based at.

Well, like my post referred to, those USAF aircraft that are based on or near the coast probably have more corrosion protection than those regularly based inland. And it is is mandatory, of course, for aircraft based on ships. That's one reason why military aircraft have such extensive ground crews, always working on them.
Old 03-20-18, 04:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I certainly do not have the perception that German cars rust. I also have the perception that they last a long long time and are of high quality.

The only car I see with consistent rust issues is the Mazda 3 from the last Gen or before it. Always on the wheel wells or the trunk.

Otherwise, every mainstream brand shows rust when they get close to 15 years and higher miles.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-20-18 at 04:50 PM.