Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you garage your vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-18, 12:59 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I use my garage for what it was intended for, my cars! Only bad part is that I only have a 2 car garage and I have 3 cars... So my RCF stays in the garage, my 300zx TT is a garage queen and the GS350 is the unlucky one that sits outside need to upgrade my house or maybe get a lift, hmm..... lol
Old 03-23-18, 01:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

I used to have room in our garage to park cars... now it's full of my wife's racecar and tools and spare parts and such.... Everything else lives outside. Sigh.

Edit to stave off inevitable comments - no the wing isn't all that huge, it's the angle of the picture. It's about 1/2 inch narrower than the car (which is what the rules allow).

Old 03-23-18, 03:36 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Omg Dave, you cracked me up so good! The wing!
Old 03-23-18, 03:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
no the wing isn't all that huge, it's the angle of the picture. It's about 1/2 inch narrower than the car (which is what the rules allow).

Hey.....that wing will give the Cessnas I learned to fly on a run for the money LOL.
Old 03-23-18, 08:04 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

I've been reflecting on this car/garage thing. All the statistics stay I've got more years behind me than I have in front of me.
I can honestly say I've never parked any car in any garage at any point in my life. Wow, that seems really weird now that I've said it.
Carports, covered parking, under ground garages, sure. Never a garage though.
I've had an attached woodshop for decades, and that probably won't change anytime soon. I posted as much above.
As I reflected on it more though, I think it's odd that I've never used a garage for cars. Other than the pull in/out experiment to see how they fit. I don't anticipate this will change anytime soon, if ever.
It's also curious there are people on the other side of the arrangement, that will likely never use a garage for anything other than their cars.
I don't think anyone is "wrong" in their approach, just different. How much of that have we celebrated in the last few decades :-)
Fun.
Old 03-23-18, 11:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Where I live now is a 2 car carport. SO it keeps the bird**** mostly off my cars, keeps the idiot neighbors from parking too close and door dinging me, keeps the stupid bradford pear tree from falling on my car in a bad storm, keeps the cars from getting hail dinged(happened to my next door neighbor who didn't have the carport option on his condo).

Still though, this was about 8-9 years ago, I lived at an apartment complex that had garages, garages costed an extra $25 or $50 a month, something stupid cheap, I can't remember but they were running a crazy sale. This complex was built in the late 1990's, but those garages were stupid small. Width wise they were maybe 6" to a foot wider than the door opening. I remember wanting to buy a BIG Cadillac at that time in my life. A 1990-1992 Cadillac Brougham was about 2-3" shorter than a 1993-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, that 1993-1996 car was like an inch or so too big to fit into my apartment garage, so guess what, I bought a 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'elegance, it was just couple inches shorter and just barely fit in that garage.
Old 03-24-18, 08:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I know a bunch of people at work, who do not put their vehicles inside the garage, not even when it snows. Maybe garaging cars are a thing of the past?

Another thing is I had a friend at work (recently fired, I guess he was doing side work while at work doh), and he has one of those cookie cutter mcmansions. He said that a 7 series that he was test driving, would not realistically fit inside. I don't have a "new" home so wouldn't know, but I find that odd....it's not "that" big?

Living in a 1950's home we only have a 1 car garage so my BMW is inside, and the Maxima did fit as well when I was single. I doubt my wife's SUV could fit, and almost doubt the LS430 would fit. But I definitely still would use garage space if I had it....

looking for the reason people don't put it inside! (I think it adds years to the body)
In my neighborhood--the main reason is stuff. People have too much stuff in their garages. To be fair, so many modern homes have a super tight garage. The garage in my childhood home fit our 2 cars, 3-4 bikes, a push mower, a riding mower, a folded ping-pong table, a spare fridge, and snow tires.
Old 03-24-18, 10:11 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

It really depends on the individual and the house itself.

Some people do not have a garage, so they don't have a choice. I would honestly not invest in a nice car if I knew it will sit outside all day. It would get beat up by UV, rain, snow, hail, bird poop and perhaps some bored kids with paintball guns.

Moving on, take my neighborhood for example. New construction in 2016, every house has a minimum 2 car garage. Some folks, such as myself have invested in a house with a 3 car garage and utilize it to park all 3 cars, plus a rolling tool box, bench, some shelves etc etc.

Yet there are still some people who have a 2 or 3 car garage, yet either 1 out of their few cars reside inside due to all the junk they have, or none of their cars reside inside the garage due to all the junk they have. Some have a hobby, so they turn the garage into a wood shop or something in that nature.
Old 03-24-18, 11:13 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I would not live in a home without a garage, in which we park 2 cars. It is a number one, top priority for me to have a house with a garage.
If car(s) can't be parked in the garage for this and that reason, the owner has wrong house or the household has some kind of problems regarding storage spaces outside or inside.
Old 03-25-18, 05:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
looking for the reason people don't put it inside! (I think it adds years to the body)
In Toronto my car stays in the underground garage for my condo, everyday. I have a 4Runner as well that never see's the indoors of a garage. In Rochester where I go home on the weekends, we have a two car garage, my husbands Matrix goes indoors while we we have a John Deere tractor that sits in the other spot. Husbands LX450 sits outside but he used to keep it indoors. Unless there is a major snowstorm in the winter or rain coming or very cold weather, he just leaves his Matrix outside for the most part.

I was always under the impression that a warm heated garage was very damaging to the body and frame of a vehicle long term if there was salt on the body or undercarriage. I thought it accelerates rust issues and decay? Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-25-18 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-25-18, 06:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

I have a one car garage, the LS is parked inside and the Pacifica sits outside. On the docket for the end of the year is a move to a new house and at least a 2 car garage is a requirement.

A lot of people anymore use their whole garage or part of it at least for storage. I'm one of the only people in my neighborhood that parks in their garage.

My sister in law has a huge 3 car garage that is totally full of crap. Like, to the ceiling full. They park all their cars outside.
Old 03-25-18, 06:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My sister in law has a huge 3 car garage that is totally full of crap. Like, to the ceiling full. They park all their cars outside.
I simply don't understand that line of thinking LOL. The garage is there to protect one's vehicle from storms, vandals, bird-droppings, tree-branches, kids on bicycles, etc...... yet people would rather park their expensive vehicles outside and use the garage as a warehouse.

Each to his (or her) own, I guess.
Old 03-25-18, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I was always under the impression that a warm heated garage was very damaging to the body and frame of a vehicle long term if there was salt on the body or undercarriage. I thought it accelerates rust issues and decay? Can anyone confirm this?
That's true to an extent. Warmer temperatures do speed up the chemical reactions in the oxidation (rusting) process. But, if possible, one does not have to keep the garage at room temperature (70 degrees +/-). As long as it is warm enough inside to keep any water-pipes from freezing and bursting, that's all that matters. And keeping the car clean and free of salt-build-up, especially on the underside, with a hose, will also go a long way towards preventing rust. I plan to clean my own Lacrosse tomorrow, after the endless salt that was used here this winter for actually very little snow.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 06:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I simply don't understand that line of thinking LOL. The garage is there to protect one's vehicle from storms, vandals, bird-droppings, tree-branches, kids on bicycles, etc...... yet people would rather park their expensive vehicles outside and use the garage as a warehouse.

Each to his (or her) own, I guess.
I know many people like this including in my family. Garage never has a car in it, just junk.
Old 03-25-18, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

To me, even if you don’t care about protecting your car I want it inside so it’s not freezing, covered in snow and ice, burning hot in the summer. Your house looks nicer without a driveway full of cars...etc

Quick Reply: Do you garage your vehicle?