Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you garage your vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 12:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

2 of 3 are garaged.

I NEED a bigger garage!!! 🙁
Old 07-12-20, 01:07 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
2 of 3 are garaged.

I NEED a bigger garage!!! 🙁
Someday our kid will need to drive and we'll be forced to leave a car outside...or move into a 3-car garage home. A four-garage would be awesome. I saw some for the firsr time in Elk Grove, CA, which was surprising because it's not a particularly affluent area (at least I don't consider it to be).

There's a home in our neighborhood with a super tall garage, presumably to garage their boat. I pass by it often during our walks and always marvel at it because you can probably fit one of those ramps to park a car above the other.

Old 07-12-20, 01:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

There are homes in my area with more than 2 car garages but they are generally much larger and cost $3million or more. The property taxes are also significantly higher.

If i ever move down South - it will be mandatory to have 3 car garage with high ceilings so i can put in a lift. Youtuber Hoovies Garage has dream setup.
Old 07-12-20, 02:56 PM
Funride
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My house has a detached 3 car garage. One of them is a workshop for my husband and the other two store lawn equipment, so all of our cars sit outside - his XJ6, my Miata, and my UX. Our house is VERY old and the last cars actually parked in the garage were probably Model T's. Seriously, it is tight for the Miata to fit - not worth the trouble to try to get them in and out.
Old 07-12-20, 03:09 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Funride
My house has a detached 3 car garage. One of them is a workshop for my husband and the other two store lawn equipment, so all of our cars sit outside - his XJ6, my Miata, and my UX. Our house is VERY old and the last cars actually parked in the garage were probably Model T's. Seriously, it is tight for the Miata to fit - not worth the trouble to try to get them in and out.
Wow, tight for a Miata! I'm just trying to imagine it.

We were casually looking at some Toll Brothers communities a few years ago. None of their floor plans really interested us. Somehow, they managed to make a 3,000 sq ft layout feel very cramped. Anyways, the most interesting part were the available options. I think it came with a 3-car tandem garage with an option to add a 4th garage for $30K, which I didnt think was all that bad since you didn't have to give up any existing bedrooms or space. The option was nice, just the rest of the home was meh. I don't see what the big deal is about Toll Brothers.
Old 07-13-20, 11:05 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

When I move & looking for a new house I start in the garage & my wife starts in the Kitchen. My last 2 houses had 2 & a half car garage space.And 1st thing I do when we close the deal is paint garage floor with tan Epoxy paint

Old 07-14-20, 10:41 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
When I move & looking for a new house I start in the garage & my wife starts in the Kitchen. My last 2 houses had 2 & a half car garage space.And 1st thing I do when we close the deal is paint garage floor with tan Epoxy paint
I really like the way that tan looks. What made you go with tan? I had never even considered it before but it looks awesome.
Old 07-15-20, 10:43 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would love an extra garage space or two. For now I park my beloved e92 in the garage while the other two cars (S2000 and 530e) rotate between parking at my condo complex or on my street. The wife's RX gets the other garage spot.
Old 07-15-20, 12:47 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Both our cars are garaged. It baffles me why so many in our neighborhood park outside and then still don't learn after their cars have been burglarized or had catalytic converters cut out. Not to mention that if your car is parked outside, someone can easily break into it and use the remote/HomeLink to open your garage and steal everything that's in it, or access your home if you don't lock all doors.

We keep stuff in the garage too but it's all organized on shelves (tools, suitcases, holiday decorations, etc). Our garage is 19.5 x 19.5, long enough for a past Sienna and Sequoia to stay garaged. Currently we have two sedans and still space for a second refrigerator in the garage. People are just hoarders.
Many people can't fit their cars in their garage. My truck is a couple inches too long to fit. Or they've got other cars in there already.

I keep nothing of value in my truck. If it's home, I'm home. Somebody using it to gain access to my house is in for a VERY BAD TIME.
Old 07-15-20, 12:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

My GS and my Highlander are always garaged. The Tacoma stays outside, plus, it's nearly 19' long and my garage is 20' in depth, so it would be tight fight and I would need to rearrange some things to make it work. But it's a 2 car garage anyway, so it's a moot point.

The truck has Homelink, but I don't have it programmed and don't keep a house key or any other type of garage door opener in it to prevent an intruder access to my home should he/she gain access to the truck.
Old 07-15-20, 01:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My GS and my Highlander are always garaged. The Tacoma stays outside, plus, it's nearly 19' long and my garage is 20' in depth, so it would be tight fight and I would need to rearrange some things to make it work. But it's a 2 car garage anyway, so it's a moot point.

The truck has Homelink, but I don't have it programmed and don't keep a house key or any other type of garage door opener in it to prevent an intruder access to my home should he/she gain access to the truck.
We've gone all WiFi for garage access now in our cars. I feel its more secure vs. homelink anyway. I also get an alert everytime there the garage door opens and a video feed to my phone. Its overkill as my neighborhood is pretty quiet
Old 07-15-20, 03:46 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
We've gone all WiFi for garage access now in our cars. I feel its more secure vs. homelink anyway. I also get an alert everytime there the garage door opens and a video feed to my phone. Its overkill as my neighborhood is pretty quiet
Same we bought the Chamberlain Wifi garage door opener, its great especially for those times when you're not sure you closed the garage door behind you.
Old 07-15-20, 03:47 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jwong77
Same we bought the Chamberlain Wifi garage door opener, its great especially for those times when you're not sure you closed the garage door behind you.
I don't trust the system fully so I have video feeds to the garage that make sure its closed.
Old 07-15-20, 03:52 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EZZ
I don't trust the system fully so I have video feeds to the garage that make sure its closed.
Same haha. I found out they recently released a version with a camera built in too, oh well.
Old 07-15-20, 04:03 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jwong77
Same haha. I found out they recently released a version with a camera built in too, oh well.
I find the Wyze cameras are really reliable. I even have a Wyze smartplug to reboot the camera if it needs it. lol. I'm paranoid.

Quick Reply: Do you garage your vehicle?