Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you garage your vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 04:26 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Do you garage your vehicle?

I know a bunch of people at work, who do not put their vehicles inside the garage, not even when it snows. Maybe garaging cars are a thing of the past?

Another thing is I had a friend at work (recently fired, I guess he was doing side work while at work doh), and he has one of those cookie cutter mcmansions. He said that a 7 series that he was test driving, would not realistically fit inside. I don't have a "new" home so wouldn't know, but I find that odd....it's not "that" big?

Living in a 1950's home we only have a 1 car garage so my BMW is inside, and the Maxima did fit as well when I was single. I doubt my wife's SUV could fit, and almost doubt the LS430 would fit. But I definitely still would use garage space if I had it....

looking for the reason people don't put it inside! (I think it adds years to the body)
Old 03-22-18, 04:43 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

When I had the RC F, it was garaged all the time as it never saw rain or snow, and hibernated for 4 months in the winter.

Without it, the Stinger now lives in it. Especially in winter months, it is a convenience to walk into a warm car without the need to defrost windows, or scrape any ice or snow off the car. As spring is around the corner, I may continue to keep it inside to keep it away from the elements especially bird droppings!

Typical newer homes in the GTA, for which mine is, have an internal garage length of 18-19 feet which would allow virtually any car to fit, but forget pickups, minivans and longer SUVs as the hatch will likely not clear the back wall when opening.
Old 03-22-18, 04:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

sweet, the GTA rocks! I am somewhat disappointed my Toronto project has concluded. I have a 2nd one but it's so small that I handled it while up there, and can do the rest remotely. On to TX I guess....

How come you guys don't wash your cars that much (I see tons of cars totally caked with salt and dirt!)?

Anyway my mom has garaged her cars all her life. She has a 2006 Acura that has been garaged its entire life, and it looked really good when I clayed it last fall. She even wanted to garage a '94 Taurus that her friend gave her! But she decided to leave it outside. But imagine her mindset, that even a '94 should ideally be garaged....

edit: on the Taurus, she even asked me to look into car covers lol but when I told her what they cost esp. if you go above the entry level, she decided forget it!

Last edited by Johnhav430; 03-22-18 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-22-18, 05:56 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
How come you guys don't wash your cars that much (I see tons of cars totally caked with salt and dirt!)?

Well, the snow/salt covered streets don't help, but that is not an excuse since most days, streets are dry in the GTA. For me, that's another benefit of garaging my car indoor since I do keep it clean!
Old 03-22-18, 08:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Always. I have a two car garage, which easily accommodates both my GS and my Highlander. Neither car has ever spent a night outside unless we've been traveling.
Old 03-22-18, 09:38 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not live in a home without a garage, in which we park 2 cars. It is a number one, top priority for me to have a house with a garage.
Old 03-22-18, 11:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

We garage both our cars. I suspect some larger SUV's or full-size sedans would be an issue, but for now they fit fine. It annoys me to see people on my street parking in the driveway all the time when they have two-car garages, but some people have a lot of junk occupying their garages.

Agreed with corradoMR2 on the warmth in winter aspect. No more scraping ice off the windshield for me.
Old 03-22-18, 12:52 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always. The natural elements are very nasty to the car. Bird droppings, snow, rain, cold, hot, exhaust particles, UVA rays, all do a number on your car. My newer cars never see any of the mentioned simply because I garage it. I have a beater that I park outside and use that in bad weather. I also put wrap my entire car in a clear wrap so that it will take less UVA rays.
Old 03-22-18, 02:53 PM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

My woodshop doesn't store cars. Despite having 3 "garage" doors.

When we first moved into the house I experimented with putting a Sienna and a Tacoma in the "garage" While technically possible, it was an incredibly tight fit. I wouldn't want to pull in/out hundreds of times a year with those clearances. Opening doors and navigating groceries around these vehicles required magical incantations and the agility of a yoga master. While not exposed to weather, they are exposed to a different class of damage. Although the Sienna ended up getting completely taken out by a large maple tree in a windstorm, so it's not just sap and bird droppings. Tree Deleted shortly after.

Even had the cars fit reasonably well, the woodshop would have won out anyways. Tools don't hold up in the driveway as well as the cars.
I do feel a little bad about leaving the RC out in the elements. It's just going to have to age gracefully.
Old 03-22-18, 03:44 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Here in South Florida, there are several people who cannot utilize their garages due to the vast amount of junk they have inside. Old furniture, appliances, trinkets from garage sale etc. just an unhealthy obsession to amass and store stuff that should be donated since more than likely the owner may never use it. This a a great pet peeve of mind, clutter and the desire to store junk as if it's precious metals.
Old 03-22-18, 03:49 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I would not live in a home without a garage, in which we park 2 cars. It is a number one, top priority for me to have a house with a garage.
Ditto for me here in So CA.
Old 03-22-18, 03:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
Here in South Florida, there are several people who cannot utilize their garages due to the vast amount of junk they have inside. Old furniture, appliances, trinkets from garage sale etc. just an unhealthy obsession to amass and store stuff that should be donated since more than likely the owner may never use it. This a a great pet peeve of mind, clutter and the desire to store junk as if it's precious metals.

Sounds to me like a good excuse to have a yard sale. Clean it out.
Old 03-22-18, 08:37 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

LS and E55 almost exclusively reside indoors, crown vic doesn't fit in the garage lol but even if it did i wouldn't waste my time trying to preserve it
Old 03-22-18, 09:06 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

IMO, lazy folks start cluttering garage with stuffs losing space for parking cars. Our cars are always in the garage when not in use.
Stuffs I store in two sheds in the back yard. Locally I notice they are building garages with 8' height doors ow which I like (vs. 7').
Old 03-23-18, 12:45 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 car garage is minimum for me, I used to have a house with 4 car garage and huge space outside for all my cars. I would keep my cars inside as much as I can cuz I hate them getting dirty. But my coworker is different, she has her 3 cars outside even when she has 3 car garages lol, and all her cars are filthy but apparently she doesn’t care.

Quick Reply: Do you garage your vehicle?