Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Corolla Hatchback revealed! (USA/Canada)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-18, 05:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts
Default 2019 Corolla Hatchback revealed! (USA/Canada)

For the first time in North America, Toyota's newest, stylish, and most technologically-advanced small car, the all-new 2019 Corolla Hatchback, makes its debut at the 2018 New York International Auto Show.

Don't let its diminutive dimensions fool you - the hatchback, in either SE or XSE grades, is all about making a huge impression. With its lengthy list of standard features that includes Entune 3.0 with Apple CarPlay and Amazon Alexa Connectivity; a revised sport-tuned suspension and new Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform; and the first North American application of Toyota Safety Sense 2.0, Corolla Hatchback strikes a resounding chord with drivers who value authenticity, utility, practicality, and style.
Differentiation between SE and XSE is distinct. Both grades receive LED headlamps and taillights, chrome rear diffuser, and alloy wheels. XSE ups the ante with 18-inch wheels, LED fog lights, chrome front grille surround, and an available innovative Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS). AFS - available only on XSE CVT - allows for the focused distribution of light in an area that matches the vehicle's speed and steering angle. The Bi-Beam LED units move vertically and horizontally to provide optimal light output by analyzing steering angle, vehicle speed, and the vehicle's longitudinal axes angle to adjust lamps.
The standard amenity list is as impressive as the cabin's aesthetic. SE grade is equipped with single-zone automatic climate control, leather shift ****, and paddle shifters located behind the steering wheel. An electronic parking brake, three-door SmartKey system, automatic up/down windows, and two front USB outlets are standard as well.

XSE grade builds on SE's amenity palette by including dual-zone climate control, combination leather (leather with mélange-like fabric) seating, heated front seats, and eight-way power driver's seat. XSE's instrument panel and doors receive unique stitching, and behind the multifunction steering wheel, a 7-inch TFT Multi-Information Display (MID) shows vehicle information, turn-by-turn navigation, and various vehicle settings (including those pertaining to Lane Departure Alert, Lane Tracing Assist, Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection and Blind Spot Monitor).
There's no shortage of entertainment and connectivity capability inside Toyota Corolla Hatchback either. For SE, standard Entune 3.0 Audio includes 8-in. touchscreen; six speakers; Apple CarPlay; Amazon Alexa integration; Entune 3.0 App Suite Connect; Safety Connect; Wi-Fi Connect; Scout GPS Link Compatible; Siri Eyes Free; Auxiliary audio jack and USB 2.0 port with iPod connectivity and control; AM/FM; MP3/WMA playback capability; Voice Recognition training and tutorials; Hands-free phone capability; voice recognition and music streaming via Bluetooth; Customizable Home Screen; and Weather/Traffic info via Entune 3.0 App Suite.

Entune 3.0 Audio Plus, which is standard on XSE and optional on SE CVT, adds HD Radio and Weather/Traffic info; SiriusXM with Cache Radio; Entune 3.0 Connected Services; Service Connect; Remote Connect. Topping the range is Entune 3.0 Audio Premium that's optional on XSE CVT. The system includes a JBL 8-speaker 800-watt system with Clari-Fi; Dynamic Voice Recognition; Dynamic Navigation; Dynamic POI Search; and Destination Assist Connect.
TNGA isn't just the genesis of Corolla Hatchback's astute footwork and balance: An all-new TNGA-based powertrain is the heart of Toyota Corolla Hatchback's Fun-To-Drive identity. Its 2.0-liter Dynamic-Force direct-injection inline four-cylinder engine (M20A-FKS) adopts the latest in Toyota technology and structural efficacies for gains in power, fuel efficiency, and cleaner emissions.
Be they a commuter or canyon cruiser, drivers will appreciate Corolla Hatchback's available transmissions: an all-new Dynamic-Shift CVT (K120), or a six-speed iMT (Intelligent Manual Transmission) gearbox (EG60). The Dynamic-Shift CVT has simulated 10-speed Sequential Shiftmatic steps, Sport Mode, and paddle shifters. It features a number of innovative elements, including the world's first launch gear in a passenger vehicle CVT.

Old 03-23-18, 05:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

- 2.0l 168hp engine with D4S, direct shift CVT or 6M with rev matching
- Standard full LED both front and back
- Standard 8" screen with Apple CarPlay, Alexa
- Standard smart key and automatic air
- Standard Toyota Safety System 2.0 with Full DRCC

- Available Dual zone, 8 way power seats, hud? (from pics)
- 800w JBL sound system
- AFS front lights
- 7" digital cluster

How much is this going to cost, $25k fully equipped? More? Cant compare it with old Corolla iM, it was barebones vehicle. I wonder what will SE start at, $19k like before? It would be crazy price.

https://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/20...lla_hatchback/
Old 03-23-18, 05:27 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Pretty clean look. I like hatchbacks a lot, but I think this was is a little small in the hatch department
Old 03-23-18, 06:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Pretty clean look. I like hatchbacks a lot, but I think this was is a little small in the hatch department
Might be a nice practical little runabout for you or your husband, although the bright blue one pictured above seems to have an overly-sport package, with big wheels and rubber-band tires, that would ride roughly and provide little pothole-impact protection (even more so if it is a sport-suspension). The white one, on the right, looks like it has more reasonably-sized tires and wheels for everyday use.
Old 03-23-18, 06:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it has significantly expanded wheelbase compared to the CT200h and previous Corolla, so it should be more spacious inside than CT200h.
Old 03-23-18, 07:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it has significantly expanded wheelbase compared to the CT200h and previous Corolla, so it should be more spacious inside than CT200h.
I doesn’t look like it in the rear. Looks smaller. But thanks for the details.
Old 03-23-18, 10:26 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Looks like a slimmer modern Matrix, not bad. I like the headlights, and the improving Toyota front fascia which are slowing becoming more organic than slapped on similar to recent Lexus Spindle grilles vs older ones. Interior looks upscale from the pics, though I'm sure to the touch some materials will not be up to par. The long list of standard safety and tech features is wonderful. Glad to see a new powertrain and transmission choices vs current set-ups.
Old 03-23-18, 10:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Looks like a slimmer modern Matrix, not bad. I like the headlights, and the improving Toyota front fascia which are slowing becoming more organic than slapped on similar to recent Lexus Spindle grilles vs older ones. Interior looks upscale from the pics, though I'm sure to the touch some materials will not be up to par. The long list of standard safety and tech features is wonderful. Glad to see a new powertrain and transmission choices vs current set-ups.
It is more like modern CT200h than Matrix, since Matrix was basically a small MPV.

There is more equipment than was available on CTh, and likely will be $10k cheaper... should be a good car for people who liked CT but dont want to move up to larger models now.
Old 03-23-18, 11:10 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a previous gen Mazda 3 from some angles, doesn't look bad to me not a car, interior looks significantly better than the current model not the type of car I am in that market for though, l imagine if it's priced right will sell well , finally Apple CARPLAY! waiting for the release of the new RAV4 next week more interested in that!
Old 03-23-18, 11:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Looks like a previous gen Mazda 3 from some angles, doesn't look bad to me not a car, interior looks significantly better than the current model not the type of car I am in that market for though, l imagine if it's priced right will sell well , finally Apple CARPLAY! waiting for the release of the new RAV4 next week more interested in that!
Rav4 will have all of that and more... I bet it will have AVS even in NA, and HUD, and digital instrument cluster... if Corolla has all of this, Rav4 will be just a lot more of everything!
Old 03-23-18, 11:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
It is more like modern CT200h than Matrix, since Matrix was basically a small MPV.

There is more equipment than was available on CTh, and likely will be $10k cheaper... should be a good car for people who liked CT but dont want to move up to larger models now.
I dunno man, looks all the same to me

2019 Corolla Hatch 172" L, 103.9" wheelbase
2013 Matrix Hatch 171.9″ L 102.4″ wheelbase
2017 CT200h Hatch 171.2" L 102.4″ wheelbase
Old 03-23-18, 04:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I dunno man, looks all the same to me

2019 Corolla Hatch 172" L, 103.9" wheelbase
2013 Matrix Hatch 171.9″ L 102.4″ wheelbase
2017 CT200h Hatch 171.2" L 102.4″ wheelbase
wheelbase is 1.5" larger... it is now closer to Rav4 than current Corolla (Rav4 is 104.7").
It is also a lot wider than before.... 1.2"-1.5" makes a large difference in interior space. Japanese small cars always had a "problem" they had smaller wheelbases and were narrower than European ones, while now new Corolla is slightly larger than Golf in wheelbase and width.

PRELIMINARY EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS (vs. MY2018) [difference]
Wheelbase103.9 in. (102.4) [+1.5 in.]
Overall Length172.0 in. (170.5) [+1.5 in.]
Overall Width70.5 in. (69.3) [+1.2 in.]
Overall Height56.6 in. (57.5) [-1.0 in.]

Old 03-23-18, 04:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,377 Likes on 1,560 Posts

great improvements and glad it's no longer constrained by japanese domestic market considerations.
Old 03-23-18, 04:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great improvements and glad it's no longer constrained by japanese domestic market considerations.
What you mean by that? Toyota has been pretty solid at distinguishing their North American products vs their JDM stuff. The Matrix was a two generation vehicle made the US if I am correct.
Old 03-23-18, 05:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

What you mean by that? Toyota has been pretty solid at distinguishing their North American products vs their JDM stuff. The Matrix was a two generation vehicle made the US if I am correct.
he meant especially width but also wheelbase that were always restricted due to the JDM specs. Japanese cars have always been a bit narrower than Europeans and with smaller wheelbases. With TNGA, that has changed.

Quick Reply: 2019 Corolla Hatchback revealed! (USA/Canada)