Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes to skip Detroit Auto Show next year

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-18, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Mercedes to skip Detroit Auto Show next year

Seems like a pattern developing here. M-B, along with Cadillac and Mitsubishi, skipped the D.C. show this year, and now is announcing that they will not go back to Detroit next year. Given the amount of money that the auto manufacturers spend at these shows, both on their employees there, transporting vehicles and setting things up, renting out floor-space, and in incentives like test-drive gift cards, door prizes, etc... perhaps it is not surprising that some manufacturers are calling it quits.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...roit-auto-show

Mercedes-Benz confirmed it will have no formal presence at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in 2019, striking a blow to the event as more manufacturers save major vehicle introductions for tech conferences or their own special showcases.

Mercedes cited the "rising complexity" of the auto industry and the slew of products and services it’s developing for the decision to reassess its participation in the Detroit show. The German automaker said it will decide on participating in future auto shows and events on a case-by-case basis.

“We are presently working to adjust the scale and size of our auto shows and trade fairs concepts to better align with our upcoming model launches,” the company said in a statement.

On Friday, Automotive News, citing Mercedes executives, reported the luxury brand was expected to skip the 2019 Detroit auto show. Company officials told the newspaper Mercedes was deciding "whether a trade show like Detroit fits with the cadence of our launch calendar and whether there's a more effective format for our needs."

Max Muncey, a spokesman for the Detroit auto show, confirmed Mercedes will skip the event next year, noting that the show is “actively discussing future opportunities” with the brand. Initial meetings with technology providers and other automakers for the 2019 show have “hinted at some big product news earmarked for Detroit,” he added.

Last month, Mercedes made a splash in Detroit when it unveiled the revamped G-Class SUV, drawing on the star power of former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Daimler AG, Mercedes’s parent, is moving toward standalone introductions of new models and technology summits such as CES in Las Vegas, people familiar with the matter told Bloomberg News last week.

In recent years, Mazda, Mini, Volvo, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Jaguar and Land Rover have also pulled out of the Detroit auto show, citing costs or the decision to reallocate marketing outlays.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-18 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 04:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Only thing I can think of is that Mercedes-Benz wants to distance the Mercedes brand from the American Auto Industry. Kinda like they may think the Detroit show is a Tier 2 branded type of show.

Its a poor decision to leave the Auto Show in Detroit IMO.
Old 03-25-18, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Only thing I can think of is that Mercedes-Benz wants to distance the Mercedes brand from the American Auto Industry. Kinda like they may think the Detroit show is a Tier 2 branded type of show.

Its a poor decision to leave the Auto Show in Detroit IMO.

You might remember from some of my other posts in the past....I've always felt the Detroit show was over-hyped, given how few new vehicles are actually sold in the Detroit area. I don't have the exact number (and, of course, it depends on exactly where you draw the boundaries), but, on average, the DC/MD/VA Metro area sells six times the number of new vehicles that the Detroit region does, and the L.A/SoCal region (which is arguably the center of the nation's car culture) some ten times the number. Yet, the Detroit Show, more by tradition than anything else, has usually been the premier American show for new displays, though the L.A., D.C., and New York shows, to an extent, have come into more importance lately.

But, I agree with you that simply turning one's back and abandoning the Detroit show is not necessarily the answer, either. Like so much else in the auto industry, though, it is probably being done by big-money and cost-saving factors.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-18 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 04:58 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

BMW announced they are following suit on skipping Detroit.
Old 03-25-18, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
BMW announced they are following suit on skipping Detroit.
Thanks. I'll post a link on it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...detroit_a.html

Well, the old saying is that the third one's the charm. Any guesses?
Old 03-25-18, 05:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You might remember from some of my other posts in the past....I've always felt the Detroit show was over-hyped, given how few new vehicles are actually sold in the Detroit area. I don't have the exact number (and, of course, it depends on exactly where you draw the boundaries), but, on average, the DC/MD/VA Metro area sells six times the number of new vehicles that the Detroit region does, and the L.A/SoCal region (which is arguably the center of the nation's car culture) some ten times the number. Yet, the Detroit Show, more by tradition than anything else, has usually been the premier American show for new displays, though the L.A., D.C., and New York shows, to an extent, have come into more importance lately.

But, I agree with you that simply turning one's back and abandoning the Detroit show is not necessarily the answer, either. Like so much else in the auto industry, though, it is probably being done by big-money and cost-saving factors.
The goal of the Auto Show in Detroit is not to sell cars to people at the show. The goal is to use the show as platform for introductions, and to demonstrate your stuff in the worlds automobile capital. The German brands are turning up their noise to spite America and level up their prestige IMO. Just makes their introductions wherever they are all that more special IMO.

Its a bad move IMO.
Old 03-25-18, 05:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The goal of the Auto Show in Detroit is not to sell cars to people at the show.
Agreed.....but that was not what I was refering to. I wasn't necessarily talking about people at the show. I was referring to what is actually sold in the region. A lot of buyers never go to auto shows, period....they are not like you or me.

The goal is to use the show as platform for introductions, and to demonstrate your stuff in the worlds automobile capital. The German brands are turning up their noise to spite America and level up their prestige IMO. Just makes their introductions wherever they are all that more special IMO. Its a bad move IMO.
Genesis is not a serious threat (yet) to the Germans, either, but will (likely) be in a few more years.
Old 03-25-18, 05:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Both of these bands always have a large presence at the Chicago Auto Show which draws over a million visitors each year, but the future of certain brands at auto shows could be changing. There has been a lot of talk about manufacturers focusing on shows like the CES etc.(mentioned in the article) to showcase their new technologies. A difficult situation for Detroit though.
Old 03-25-18, 05:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Both of these bands always have a large presence at the Chicago Auto Show which draws over a million visitors each year, but the future of certain brands at auto shows could be changing. There has been a lot of talk about manufacturers focusing on shows like the CES etc.(mentioned in the article) to showcase their new technologies. A difficult situation for Detroit though.
Agreed. Perhaps the Detroit auto show will just fizzle out and become an American brand showcase. I wonder if Toyota will follow suit and leave Lexus out of the next show. That has gotta hurt if you are Ford, GM or Chrysler as this is the show for those brands.
Old 03-25-18, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes, the Chicago region probably deserves a larger show than Detroit. If nothing else, it is a far larger region for actually selling vehicles.
Old 03-25-18, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I think I can see where this thread is (eventually) headed to....E-shows on-line, instead of actual physical shows inside of buildings, with incentives for dealer-visits and test-drives sent in the mail for those interested. Ford and Lincoln do that now, in addition to their physical presence at the shows.

If it ever comes to that, I'll surely miss the shows......the D.C. show has been an integral part of my life for decades, though the commuting to and from the show can be a hassle, and my aging knees and back don't take to being on them long hours like they once did.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-25-18 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-25-18, 05:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I think I can see where this thread is (eventually) headed to....E-shows on-line, instead of actual physical shows inside of buildings, with incentives for dealer-visits and test-drives sent in the mail for those interested. Ford and Lincoln do that now, in addition to their physical presence at the shows.
Huh? What about the vehicle debuts that happen at the show?
Old 03-25-18, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What about the vehicle debuts that happen at the show?
I don't know the answer to that question......we'll have to wait and see. But the general consensus seems to be for less manufacturer-participation in traditional shows.

Like I just mentioned above, though, if it comes to that, I'll sorely miss the traditional shows.
Old 03-25-18, 06:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know the answer to that question......we'll have to wait and see. But the general consensus seems to be for less manufacturer-participation in traditional shows.

Like I just mentioned above, though, if it comes to that, I'll sorely miss the traditional shows.
If you have every been to the Detroit auto show, it’s a much more exclusive show than other locations in the United States. Very big for the Big Three automakers. It is “the” show to be at. Been many times.
Old 03-25-18, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

If you have every been to the Detroit auto show, it’s a much more exclusive show than other locations in the United States. Very big for the Big Three automakers. It is “the” show to be at. Been many times.

I don't go there regularly, but I'm familiar with it. I'm just not convinced it's the best place for actual new vehicle-introductions, for reasons I've already gone into. The L.A. and D.C. regions, from sales alone, would make far more sense. The Detroit show is a tradition more than anything else. The auto press, CEOs, reviewers, and journalists all go there for new intros simply because that's the way the industry's been doing it for the last 40 years LOL.

Apparently (back to the thread-topic), Mercedes and BMW now agree, though Mercedes is also avoiding the D.C show.

Quick Reply: Mercedes to skip Detroit Auto Show next year