Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 12:52 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Guys, for comments on the interior of the Stinger being sub-par compared to a G70 - I challenge this owning the Stinger and seeing the G70 in detail in person.

Materials including control stalks, NAV screen, some of the switchgear, headliner, HUD, tft screen, paddle shifters, door panel materials, leather, seat controls, pedals, secondary dash controls, and more, are identical parts/materials. Where the G70 is "better" is in its presentation of a more premium interior with additional stitching on the dash, doors and quilted seats. Stinger's (and by extension G70's) interior is more premium in materials than the IS and arguably better than a Q50. The G70, although does not excite me exterior-wise, is one heck of a car besting the Japanese and German offerings in the 50-55K price range.
I can't speak for anyone else, but this is exactly what I meant. I would assume a common parts-bin for switchgear, etc. But as to design, the G70--at least in pix--looks much more upscale than the Stinger I sat in at the Philly auto show.
Old 03-31-18, 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I can't speak for anyone else, but this is exactly what I meant. I would assume a common parts-bin for switchgear, etc. But as to design, the G70--at least in pix--looks much more upscale than the Stinger I sat in at the Philly auto show.
I actually like the Stinger design of the interior better than the G70. Neither are going to set MB or BMW on notice, both are luxurious or premium. I thought materials were a wash. I guess my main issue with the G70 interior is that is doesn’t offer the buyer anything that has not been done before. For example, the gauges are not digital, they are more like the IS250 from the last generation, there is no digital type HVAC buttons like a new Audi might have in some their higher end models. It just seems like they want to copy some past designs instead of going for something that might break trends to be copied by some of the more established players.
Old 03-31-18, 05:23 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

I actually like the Stinger design of the interior better than the G70. Neither are going to set MB or BMW on notice, both are luxurious or premium. I thought materials were a wash. I guess my main issue with the G70 interior is that is doesn’t offer the buyer anything that has not been done before. For example, the gauges are not digital, they are more like the IS250 from the last generation, there is no digital type HVAC buttons like a new Audi might have in some their higher end models. It just seems like they want to copy some past designs instead of going for something that might break trends to be copied by some of the more established players.
Will the G70's center console wobble like the Stinger's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCgZ...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-31-18, 05:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Will the G70's center console wobble like the Stinger's?
e
I don’t remember. Interior was good.
Old 04-01-18, 04:33 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Did the reps there say when it will be available at dealerships?

From what I've seen of Genesis products, their material-quality is not only as good as, but often better than their rivals. Since the Stinger was also at the show, I'd assume you compared the two.

Slightly off-topic, but did Mercedes, Cadillac, or Mitsubishi show up? They skipped us here in D.C. this year.
Didn't talk to the reps unfortunately. Most of them were busy with the folks crowding around the Essentia concept. For the G70 vs Stinger debate, I'm torn. I liked the additional premium touches and the center stack of the G70 better, but I'm not a fan of the quilted seats so I preferred the Stinger seats. Honestly can't go wrong with either one, both felt really good.

All 3 were there. Mitsubishi was on the smaller 1st floor where they have more truck/SUV exhibits. Makes sense considering their lineup

^^^ this was pretty much my thoughts. I didn't find that the interior exceeded the others in the segment, it was good or at least on par. Material selection reminded me of the Audi interiors. There was nothing in the G70 that would make the competition run back to the drawing board and do a Genesis copy-cat. I do think the gauge cluster is a major omission in that it really needs a digital display. But overall, those who like Hyundai stuff should like it very much.
Good call out on the gauges. For Genesis, it's still the value prop that will help steal sales from other makes. I can get a loaded G80 Sport with the v8 for an MSRP under $60K. I can't even get a GS with a v8 at this point
Old 04-01-18, 09:44 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
For Genesis, it's still the value prop that will help steal sales from other makes. I can get a loaded G80 Sport with the v8 for an MSRP under $60K. I can't even get a GS with a v8 at this point
The Sport only comes with the same twin turbo V6 as in the G70, not the V8.

Still waiting to see a G70 in person!
Old 04-01-18, 05:37 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Ah you're right. The build tool on their site kind of sucks
Old 04-01-18, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Ah you're right. The build tool on their site kind of sucks
Which site are you refering to...Lexus or Genesis?
Old 04-01-18, 07:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Good call out on the gauges. For Genesis, it's still the value prop that will help steal sales from other makes. It
Does Genesis ever get to a point where they are not a value prop? I think the G70 is going to be priced on par with the Lexus IS.
Old 04-02-18, 06:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Which site are you refering to...Lexus or Genesis?
Genesis site. Clicked on G80 Sport, went to Build & Price, and it offered the 5.0 Ultimate as an option. I'm not too familiar with their naming conventions so I figured it was a trim of the G80 Sport

Does Genesis ever get to a point where they are not a value prop? I think the G70 is going to be priced on par with the Lexus IS.
We'll just have to wait and see. I think it's possible, but it'll take a few generations
Old 04-02-18, 07:04 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Genesis stand alone dealerships will be opening in the U.S. I'm not sure of the timetable but I think I saw somewhere that there will be about 100 in selected locations. It will be interesting to see where they put them and how they do. As discussed, they need their CUV and SUV ASAP to put in those showrooms.
FWIW, there's one Genesis dealership in the Kansas City area - every other new Genesis listed for sale is at a Hyundai dealership.

Last edited by arentz07; 04-02-18 at 07:05 AM. Reason: accidentally posted before I was done lol
Old 04-02-18, 07:13 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arentz07
FWIW, there's one Genesis dealership in the Kansas City area - every other new Genesis listed for sale is at a Hyundai dealership.
Do you have a link to that dealer. I only see the ones colocated.
Old 04-02-18, 07:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Mike728
Do you have a link to that dealer. I only see the ones colocated.
Well, now that I see it, looks like it is "at" a Hyundai dealership. I haven't been by there yet.

https://www.shawneemissiongenesis.com/

However, the fact that they have a separate site for the Genesis division is, well, promising...
Old 04-02-18, 07:31 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Well, now that I see it, looks like it is "at" a Hyundai dealership. I haven't been by there yet.

https://www.shawneemissiongenesis.com/

However, the fact that they have a separate site for the Genesis division is, well, promising...
Yeah, we have those here, too. You're still treated like a Hyundai customer.
Old 04-02-18, 07:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, now that I see it, looks like it is "at" a Hyundai dealership.
That's the way it usually is in the U.S. There might be some rare exceptions.

Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70