Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 07:17 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
not talking about the drive-line.. talking about the looks:
"Underpinnings" usually means what's beneath the skin. The 300, Q50, and G70 are more similar in that particular regard than the 200 and the G70. That is, they're all longitudinally-mounted engines with rear-wheel-drive as the base drivetrain layout. So yeah, underpinnings includes driveline.

And I actually totally understand someone mistaking the Genesis G80 or G90 for a 300. RWD profile, similar grill size and shape. However, the G70 reminds me more of the Giulia than anything else, from a side profile and proportional standpoint.
Old 06-18-18, 07:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
And I actually totally understand someone mistaking the Genesis G80 or G90 for a 300. RWD profile, similar grill size and shape.
still not seeing it. by that 'standard' i guess the g70 is like an ls500 or an s-class (big grill, rwd proportions).

However, the G70 reminds me more of the Giulia than anything else, from a side profile and proportional standpoint.
on that i agree with you!
Old 07-15-18, 09:46 PM
KDX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-15-18, 11:56 PM
KDX
Rookie

Old 07-16-18, 06:47 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by KDX
AoA video
Interesting. That interior on the 3.3T gets a from me. The rear seat looks like it has decent legroom - kinda smallish head room though.

Kinda bummed at the acceleration figure on the 2.0T (he clocked a 7.4-second run from 0-60). That's a good 0.4 seconds slower than the slowest time I have seen for the IS 200t/300 RWD. Maybe it was due to altitude or just mashing the gas with TC on instead of turning TC off and brake-torqueing it? Even then, it's surprising how much slower it is in comparision to the Kia Stinger 2.0T.
Old 07-16-18, 08:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Interesting. That interior on the 3.3T gets a from me. The rear seat looks like it has decent legroom - kinda smallish head room though.

Kinda bummed at the acceleration figure on the 2.0T (he clocked a 7.4-second run from 0-60). That's a good 0.4 seconds slower than the slowest time I have seen for the IS 200t/300 RWD. Maybe it was due to altitude or just mashing the gas with TC on instead of turning TC off and brake-torqueing it? Even then, it's surprising how much slower it is in comparision to the Kia Stinger 2.0T.
That 0-60 time is a bit disappointing. I'm sure that AoA and C&D use different testing equipment and techniques but here are C&D's recent numbers on competing models:

A4 5.2sec, 3 Series 5.4sec, C300 6.1sec and IS 6.9sec. The 3 Series and IS were RWD and the Audi and MB AWD.
Old 07-16-18, 08:58 AM
KDX
Rookie

The G70 shares the power train with the Stinger, but is lighter. It will do as good or better than the Stinger 0-60 and the 1/4 mile once the proper tests have been completed.
Old 07-16-18, 10:29 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

While I think the Genesis G70 is a nice car, I think its over-priced for what it is.

You have the Genesis G70 2.0T pushing into the 40K range without moonroof.
You have the Genesis G70 3.3T pushing into the 50K range without digital gauges nor a big infotainment screen. Also the infotainment system is from Hyundai.

I think people will trouble paying 40K to 50K for an unknown luxury brand.
Old 07-16-18, 11:08 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
While I think the Genesis G70 is a nice car, I think its over-priced for what it is.

You have the Genesis G70 3.3T pushing into the 50K range without digital gauges nor a big infotainment screen. Also the infotainment system is from Hyundai.

Did you see the interior though? Other than Mercedes and Audi, no one else is offering interiors that look like that in this segment. I'd argue the level of detail on the door panels and seat quilting is pretty much top of the class on its own. And having been in a Genesis, I'm sure the materials will be as nice as they look. I do agree though, the lack of digital gauges and smallish infotainment screen are a shame. But, for some people that might be forgivable, given how much other feature content you get for the money. (i.e. the full compliment of standard safety features)
Old 07-16-18, 11:33 AM
KDX
Rookie

There is nothing wrong with the infotainment system and it does have Apple Car Play and Android Auto. People need to get past the dreaded "H" in that name.
Did you see the interior though? Other than Mercedes and Audi, no one else is offering interiors that look like that in this segment. I'd argue the level of detail on the door panels and seat quilting is pretty much top of the class on its own. And having been in a Genesis, I'm sure the materials will be as nice as they look. I do agree though, the lack of digital gauges and smallish infotainment screen are a shame. But, for some people that might be forgivable, given how much other feature content you get for the money. (i.e. the full compliment of standard safety features)
The interior is very nice and it's a nice car to drive. Not having digital gauges is a plus for me and the infotainment screen is a good size and proportionate to the whole design.

Old 07-16-18, 11:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have seen two so far in the wild. Both look very good. Nice front end and nice styling. I am afraid to say it looks better than what Lexus is offering. At least in the wild when you see it against other cars.
Old 07-16-18, 11:53 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motor Trend: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/gene...-drive-review/
Old 07-16-18, 01:29 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I did. I watched the Redline Review yesterday. I found the interior to be nice but its no-where near as good as say MB, Audi, BMW or Lexus. I do find the interior on the G70 3.3T to be better than the Q50 and TLX. With that being said - digital gauges and small infotainment does matter. I think its unforgivable that in a 50K car - it does not to have it.
If the G70 2.0T doesn't have it, then that's fine - because entry-level stuff. However - if your cream of the crop 3.3T that cost over 50K loaded doesn't have digital gauges or a big screen, that's a huge deal. I think its a huge deal given the price and that every car maker is moving towards those big screens and digital gauges. It'll make the G70 look outdated pretty quick. Especially since they are a new brand - they should be throwing all the chops. Don't cut corners and make a splash - that way people remember the name Genesis.

The full compliment of standard standard safety features isn't a big deal anymore.

Originally Posted by KDX
There is nothing wrong with the infotainment system and it does have Apple Car Play and Android Auto. People need to get past the dreaded "H" in that name.
I didn't say there's anything wrong with it. I'm saying its a 50K car and it doesn't even have its own Infotainment system that's unique to its brand. When you are a up and coming "luxury" brand, you want to make a splash. You don't make a splash by offering a infotainment system from Hyundai/KIA in your high-end 50K car.

IE: MB, BMW, Audi and Lexus systems are unique to itself. Hell - even the Acura and Infiniti systems are unique to themselves.

If you want people to get over the "H" in the name, then Hyundai should have done more to separate the Genesis brand from Hyundai/KIA. Especially when you are a new luxury contender - you have to lure buyers away from the established brands. You don't do it buy offering stuff from a Hyundai.
Old 07-16-18, 01:49 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I did. I watched the Redline Review yesterday. I found the interior to be nice but its no-where near as good as say MB, Audi, BMW or Lexus. I do find the interior on the G70 3.3T to be better than the Q50 and TLX. With that being said - digital gauges and small infotainment does matter. I think its unforgivable that in a 50K car - it does not to have it.
If the G70 2.0T doesn't have it, then that's fine - because entry-level stuff. However - if your cream of the crop 3.3T that cost over 50K loaded doesn't have digital gauges or a big screen, that's a huge deal. I think its a huge deal given the price and that every car maker is moving towards those big screens and digital gauges. It'll make the G70 look outdated pretty quick. Especially since they are a new brand - they should be throwing all the chops. Don't cut corners and make a splash - that way people remember the name Genesis.

The full compliment of standard standard safety features isn't a big deal anymore.

I didn't say there's anything wrong with it. I'm saying its a 50K car and it doesn't even have its own Infotainment system that's unique to its brand. When you are a up and coming "luxury" brand, you want to make a splash. You don't make a splash by offering a infotainment system from Hyundai/KIA in your high-end 50K car.

IE: MB, BMW, Audi and Lexus systems are unique to itself. Hell - even the Acura and Infiniti systems are unique to themselves.

If you want people to get over the "H" in the name, then Hyundai should have done more to separate the Genesis brand from Hyundai/KIA. Especially when you are a new luxury contender - you have to lure buyers away from the established brands. You don't do it buy offering stuff from a Hyundai.
My GS350 has the same system as my Highlander and as my dad's Tacoma.
Old 07-16-18, 01:54 PM
arentz07
drives cars

The full compliment of standard standard safety features isn't a big deal anymore..
Eh, kinda. Not all the Germans offer that. Lexus offering most of their safety standard literally the year after I got mine still kinda makes me irritated.

Sure, but at least the infotainment works well. I don't mind remote-touch, but having the option of using either a dial or touchscreen is good. Either of those is probably easier to use in actual driving. I'd liken using remote touch to using a Wii Remote to enter text. It's a bit clumsy, even if in a perfect world, it should be faster than using a cursor that's moved around by a joystick.

Intuitive, but mostly imprecise in practice.

And for you to say people need to get over the "H", just drive the cars. I didn't remember my former rental Sonata in the slightest while I was driving the G80. It's a totally different type of vehicle. It's going to be a while, but as these cars start showing up and people see them up close, people will realize, just like with Lexus and Infiniti, that they really are a cut above the other corporate offerings from Hyundai/Toyota/Nissan.

Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70