Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 02:26 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Eh, kinda. Not all the Germans offer that. Lexus offering most of their safety standard literally the year after I got mine still kinda makes me irritated.

Sure, but at least the infotainment works well. I don't mind remote-touch, but having the option of using either a dial or touchscreen is good. Either of those is probably easier to use in actual driving. I'd liken using remote touch to using a Wii Remote to enter text. It's a bit clumsy, even if in a perfect world, it should be faster than using a cursor that's moved around by a joystick.

Intuitive, but mostly imprecise in practice.

And for you to say people need to get over the "H", just drive the cars. I didn't remember my former rental Sonata in the slightest while I was driving the G80. It's a totally different type of vehicle. It's going to be a while, but as these cars start showing up and people see them up close, people will realize, just like with Lexus and Infiniti, that they really are a cut above the other corporate offerings from Hyundai/Toyota/Nissan.
Agreed. The Germans don't offer it standard but they do come as paid options. The one thing good about say the G70 and the Japanese competition is that majority of the safety equipment is standard. Then again it should be because its not a big deal anymore. German cars are just special snowflakes that makes you buy them.

Of course. I'm not mocking the Hyundai infotainment system in anyway. It seems to be pretty good (from what I gather from the review and watching reviewers play with it). Its good for what it is. I just wish Hyundai would have developed a Genesis brand infotainment system - unique to Genesis - because its their luxury brand. It just looks bad for an up and coming luxury brand to share infotainment systems with their non-luxury brand. I would even let it slide if its on their 2.0T model but for their 3.3T 50K+ loaded model - that's just outrageous.

I 50% agree with you on the last bit. Definitely - driving the car will give you an idea what its really like. This is why test drives is important. Hell - some dealers let you keep some cars for a day or two just to "try" it - to see if you like it. Cars are a big purchase - so trying it is key. And driving a Genesis will definitely show you its not a Hyundai. +1
However - the problem is getting consumers to go into the Genesis dealer to try it. I think its just a little hard to lure consumers into a Genesis dealer when you are selling a 50K+ car with some "Hyundai-ish" features. Especially in the 50K market, people will be looking at brand. I think Hyundai should have either lowered the price of the G70 3.3T or offer more stuff on the G70 3.3T to justify the cost of it.
IE: I was at the Mercedes-Benz dealer-ship just this weekend. My friend was getting his car serviced. I browsed around the show room and they were offering easily 10% off on all C300s. If you really bargain, you can get way over 10% off. At that price point - the C300 and G70 3.3T will be pretty close. I think if it comes down to it, people will pay the bit extra for the Mercedes.
Old 07-16-18, 02:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Agreed. The Germans don't offer it standard but they do come as paid options. The one thing good about say the G70 and the Japanese competition is that majority of the safety equipment is standard. Then again it should be because its not a big deal anymore. German cars are just special snowflakes that makes you buy them.

Of course. I'm not mocking the Hyundai infotainment system in anyway. It seems to be pretty good (from what I gather from the review and watching reviewers play with it). Its good for what it is. I just wish Hyundai would have developed a Genesis brand infotainment system - unique to Genesis - because its their luxury brand. It just looks bad for an up and coming luxury brand to share infotainment systems with their non-luxury brand. I would even let it slide if its on their 2.0T model but for their 3.3T 50K+ loaded model - that's just outrageous.

I 50% agree with you on the last bit. Definitely - driving the car will give you an idea what its really like. This is why test drives is important. Hell - some dealers let you keep some cars for a day or two just to "try" it - to see if you like it. Cars are a big purchase - so trying it is key. And driving a Genesis will definitely show you its not a Hyundai. +1
However - the problem is getting consumers to go into the Genesis dealer to try it. I think its just a little hard to lure consumers into a Genesis dealer when you are selling a 50K+ car with some "Hyundai-ish" features. Especially in the 50K market, people will be looking at brand. I think Hyundai should have either lowered the price of the G70 3.3T or offer more stuff on the G70 3.3T to justify the cost of it.
IE: I was at the Mercedes-Benz dealer-ship just this weekend. My friend was getting his car serviced. I browsed around the show room and they were offering easily 10% off on all C300s. If you really bargain, you can get way over 10% off. At that price point - the C300 and G70 3.3T will be pretty close. I think if it comes down to it, people will pay the bit extra for the Mercedes.
I guess the problem is, as a car guy, I can't live with myself paying for a 241-horsepower, 4-cylinder Merc when I can get a 365-horsepower, quilted-leather-interior unknown sport sedan (with ALL the safety standard, thank you very much) that I will enjoy a lot more for the same money. But, non-car people won't look that far into it. "I've always wanted a Benz" is the first thing they think of.

But hey, "I've always wanted a BMW" is what I was saying before I got the IS. Honestly, I just tried it because I was next door at the Toyota dealer getting service done. But, that experience has encouraged me to think outside the box a little. I started to realize "Hmm, this Lexus drives very similarly to these other sport sedans, is more reliable, and looks flashier - what am I doing?"

So we'll see. I agree, the odds aren't exactly in Genesis's favor, but perhaps undeservedly so, is my point. :/
Old 07-16-18, 03:57 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I guess the problem is, as a car guy, I can't live with myself paying for a 241-horsepower, 4-cylinder Merc when I can get a 365-horsepower, quilted-leather-interior unknown sport sedan (with ALL the safety standard, thank you very much) that I will enjoy a lot more for the same money. But, non-car people won't look that far into it. "I've always wanted a Benz" is the first thing they think of.

But hey, "I've always wanted a BMW" is what I was saying before I got the IS. Honestly, I just tried it because I was next door at the Toyota dealer getting service done. But, that experience has encouraged me to think outside the box a little. I started to realize "Hmm, this Lexus drives very similarly to these other sport sedans, is more reliable, and looks flashier - what am I doing?"

So we'll see. I agree, the odds aren't exactly in Genesis's favor, but perhaps undeservedly so, is my point. :/
Definitely, as "car guys" or "petrol-heads", we see things definitely than say the average consumers. But I would also point out - the are multiple types of "car guys". While some "car guys" care about the performance sector of the car, some "car guys" don't. Some "car guys" probably don't want to spend 50K on a Genesis G70 when they know they can spend a bit more and get a loaded C300 during sale seasons.
For me personally - if I were to spend 50 thousand dollars on a car, I would shop at Genesis till their brand prestige is up. In my opinion, 50K is too much money for an unknown brand despite the car being good.

We will definitely have to see. But I agree - the odds aren't in Genesis favor.

Side-note: I read some comments that say Genesis should have started off with a luxury SUV to get the brand out there. I think that would have been a better idea than a G70. Either that or a Genesis halo car to really set the bar.
Old 07-16-18, 04:27 PM
KDX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regardless of what people think of Hyundai and Genesis, they owe it to themselves to actually look at G70 in person and take one for a test drive before they write them off as being too expensive or not having specific features. It really is that good of a car.
Old 07-16-18, 11:17 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KDX
Regardless of what people think of Hyundai and Genesis, they owe it to themselves to actually look at G70 in person and take one for a test drive before they write them off as being too expensive or not having specific features. It really is that good of a car.
That's the issue I highlighted earlier. The problem is to get people to the dealer to try out the G70. For the average consumer, if you hear that it'll cost 50K for a Genesis, a few reactions will entail.
1) What's Genesis?
2) 50K for a Genesis? Hyundai?
3) Ooo. Interesting. I'll go check it out.

These are the 3 things that might happen. The problem is 1 and 2 are likely to happen more often than 3. What sucks is that people will probably write off the Genesis G70 before trying it because its a 50K from an unknown company. Hell - people will probably write it off even knowing what it is. To be honest - I'll never buy a Genesis for over 50K.

Genesis is just at an unfair disadvantage.
Old 07-16-18, 11:27 PM
KDX
Rookie

Let us know how your test drive goes. They may even bring the car to your home, at your convenience to try it out.
Old 07-16-18, 11:34 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KDX
Let us know how your test drive goes. They may even bring the car to your home, at your convenience to try it out.
Like I said previously - I have already wrote it off my list. I would not personally pay over 50 grand for a Genesis.

This is what I feel like the problem is with Genesis. Its getting people in the door to try it.

Note: I never said I didn't like the G70. I actually think its pretty good driver's car. The problem with it is the timing, price and badge.
I would have loved if Genesis either:
1) Developed a Halo Performance car to show off exclusive Genesis tech.
2) A mass-market SUV (SUV crazed market currently) with Genesis exclusive tech.
This will bring the brand forward and help get people in the door.
Old 07-16-18, 11:37 PM
KDX
Rookie

Like I said previously - I have already wrote it off my list. I would not personally pay over 50 grand for a Genesis.

This is what I feel like the problem is with Genesis. Its getting people in the door to try it.

Note: I never said I didn't like the G70. I actually think its pretty good driver's car. The problem with it is the timing, price and badge.
I would have loved if Genesis either:
1) Developed a Halo Performance car to show off exclusive Genesis tech.
2) A mass-market SUV (SUV crazed market currently) with Genesis exclusive tech.
This will bring the brand forward and help get people in the door.
Do you need to buy the top trim level model?

Old 07-17-18, 03:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by KDX
nobody owes anyone anything, especially not to the large car manufacturer. If you are trying to build luxury brand and sell cars at premium prices, you have to invest in the brand too, not just the vehicles. It takes time, effort and a lot of money.
Old 07-17-18, 07:18 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by KDX
I would buy the top trim excluding the AWD. However, I like the Audi S4 more for a little more money. I'd have to test drive both but the G70 would have to be worlds better in handling for me to buy. Also, I may also opt for an RS3 which would be significantly faster than either car. So many good choices around $60-60k.
Old 07-17-18, 09:16 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KDX
Do I need to? No. Do I want to? Yes. I want to buy the top trim level. I don't lease my vehicles. I buy to keep for long-term or resell later for better value and get a better car. I would like to have the features because I might keep it long-term and it makes it a easier resell with features.

This is why if I were to buy a G70 - I would pay no more than the 40 to mid 40 thousands for top trim.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I would buy the top trim excluding the AWD. However, I like the Audi S4 more for a little more money. I'd have to test drive both but the G70 would have to be worlds better in handling for me to buy. Also, I may also opt for an RS3 which would be significantly faster than either car. So many good choices around $60-60k.
The 50-60K car range has tons of cars with good performance figures and options. The G70 is in hard competition.
Old 07-17-18, 09:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Do I need to? No. Do I want to? Yes. I want to buy the top trim level. I don't lease my vehicles. I buy to keep for long-term or resell later for better value and get a better car. I would like to have the features because I might keep it long-term and it makes it a easier resell with features.

This is why if I were to buy a G70 - I would pay no more than the 40 to mid 40 thousands for top trim.

The 50-60K car range has tons of cars with good performance figures and options. The G70 is in hard competition.
An S4, to cite an earlier example, or a C43, can go up quite a bit from $50k, if you want all the options. It really is going to be about the badge snobbery at that point. I still find the C43 appealing in the mid-$50k range, but some might not as it may lack some of the features they want. I don't have to have the car fully loaded, and it just so happens the G70 doesn't have to be fully-loaded to have the main things I want (360 camera, power side mirrors, etc).
Old 07-17-18, 10:48 AM
KDX
Rookie

Based on what you currently drive, it doesn't look like you splurge on the top trim level.
ビップ レクサス
18 Lexus IS300 F-Sport - AirRunner, WORK Emotions
Old 07-17-18, 10:55 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

An S4, to cite an earlier example, or a C43, can go up quite a bit from $50k, if you want all the options. It really is going to be about the badge snobbery at that point. I still find the C43 appealing in the mid-$50k range, but some might not as it may lack some of the features they want. I don't have to have the car fully loaded, and it just so happens the G70 doesn't have to be fully-loaded to have the main things I want (360 camera, power side mirrors, etc).
The G70 is a good car for someone is deep into performance-factor. 4.5 seconds 0-60 from a 3.3L Turbo is good - excellent too even. However - once you consider the badge, the price, the interior quality, fit/finish, and etc... I think you'll find the the average consumer will lean towards more the Mercedes Benz, BMW and Audi options. Because in the real world - not much people will care about the 4.5 seconds 0-60.
If we are talking about C43 and S4, then obviously the G70 is going to cost less. What the G70 gives you is basically quick performance, with near-luxury experience is what I get from the car.
IE: Audi A4 cost roughly 52-53K loaded while the G70 cost 51K rumored loaded. That's pretty close in pricing. The G70 edges out the A4 in performance only while the Audi A4 bests the G70 in pretty much everything else. When an average consumer sees this, they won't trade the Audi badge and features for 1 second faster 0-60.

I wouldn't say its "badge snobbery" because that wouldn't be fair. Its about the badge - but its not about being snobbery. If you are spending over 40 plus thousand dollars on a car - you are making a statement. And different car says different things. If you weren't making statement, then everyone will be fine with 20K VW Hatch-backs.
When you buy a car for 40K+, you want it to make you feel good. You want to feel good about it. Its not really about just the performance then - its the overall car. Unfortunately, badge, is played out heavily in the 40K plus market.

Last edited by BippuLexus; 07-17-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 11:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars

the interior quality, fit/finish, and etc.
Eh... I think the Genesis interiors thus far have widely been received well. Redline Reviews even said he thought the G70 interior was top of the class.

Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70