Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 11:48 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Eh... I think the Genesis interiors thus far have widely been received well. Redline Reviews even said he thought the G70 interior was top of the class.
Definitely. I'll agree. The G70 interior is pretty well received and its pretty good. However - I would argue MB, BMW and Audi interiors are better.

Sofyan's comment from Redline Reviews about the G70 interior being top of the class is insanely wrong and inaccurate, in my opinion.
My reasons are:
Without digital gauges, without a big infotainment screen, without a unique infotainment system unique to the Genesis brand, without wood option and etc... the G70 can't be the top of its class.
Especially disappointing that you can't get it at all even on the 3.3T loaded 50K model.
Old 07-17-18, 11:51 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Definitely. I'll agree. The G70 interior is pretty well received and its pretty good. However - I would argue MB, BMW and Audi interiors are better.

Sofyan's comment from Redline Reviews about the G70 interior being top of the class is insanely wrong and inaccurate, in my opinion.
My reasons are:
Without digital gauges, without a big infotainment screen, without a unique infotainment system unique to the Genesis brand, without wood option and etc...
Especially disappointing that you can't get it at all even on the 3.3T loaded 50K model.
Well, I guess I care more about the design and materials than I do about the infotainment. Hence why I am driving an IS instead of an A4.

The infotainment in the IS is not great, and while the TFT gauges are "cool" they don't offer many functional benefits. But, it has really nice materials in general, some hard plastics lower in the cabin but mostly soft-touch and good-to-look-at materials. Even so, to me the Genesis really blows the IS out of the water in terms of the "looks expensive" factor. Sure, it doesn't have as much flair as the IS, but it looks "nicer"... The seats have quilting, the dashboard has lots of stitching and metal details, with real metal... etc. Plus, I kinda like the gauges in Genesis products at the moment. Though they aren't fully digital, the screen mounted between the analog gauges is bigger than it is in, say, the outgoing C-class or some current Lexus models, like the non-F Sport IS.

Yeah, don't forget the "cool" gauges in the IS are NOT standard.
Old 07-17-18, 12:11 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I guess I care more about the design and materials than I do about the infotainment. Hence why I am driving an IS instead of an A4.

The infotainment in the IS is not great, and while the TFT gauges are "cool" they don't offer many functional benefits. But, it has really nice materials in general, some hard plastics lower in the cabin but mostly soft-touch and good-to-look-at materials. Even so, to me the Genesis really blows the IS out of the water in terms of the "looks expensive" factor. Sure, it doesn't have as much flair as the IS, but it looks "nicer"... The seats have quilting, the dashboard has lots of stitching and metal details, with real metal... etc. Plus, I kinda like the gauges in Genesis products at the moment. Though they aren't fully digital, the screen mounted between the analog gauges is bigger than it is in, say, the outgoing C-class or some current Lexus models, like the non-F Sport IS.

Yeah, don't forget the "cool" gauges in the IS are NOT standard.
To each their own. The Lexus IS is a good choice. That's why I am in one too. Lol.

But if we are talking about "top in the class" regarding interiors. We have to consider all possible factors. We can't say the G70 is top of its class in interiors when it doesn't offer the stuff I mentioned above. Interiors design, equipment, and etc... all put together will calculate the top of its class factor for the interior. Right now - I say the 2019 C300 is the top of its class in interior.

Like I said earlier, I definitely agree. The G70 interior is nice but not top of its class nice. It just can't be top of its class nice when you are missing quite a bit of luxurious equipment that gives the interior the expensive feel.

The LFA gauges are F-Sport exclusive. I know. The point is more about being able to get it; not if its standard or not. The G70 doesn't even offer the "cool" gauges.
Old 07-17-18, 07:40 PM
KDX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-21-18, 12:43 PM
KDX
Rookie

Impressive 2019 Genesis G70 Poised to Challenge European Sport Sedans

All-new car proves to be refined, well-equipped, and engaging to drive

By Jeff S. Bartlett
July 16, 2018
The all-new Genesis G70 is a credible challenger to German sport sedans like the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class, based on our initial experience. This third model in the prestige brand’s lineup is refined, well-equipped, and engaging to drive. Plus, it promises to be a compelling value, compared against its more established rivals.Sharing some of the same components with the Kia Stinger, which CR has tested, the compact G70 is offered with a choice of a turbocharged four-cylinder or twin-turbo V6 engine. Think of this as the option between mild-mannered and thrilling performance. As with other competitors (and the Stinger), the G70 can be had in rear- and all-wheel-drive configurations.We rented two G70s from Genesis to sample the newest, most affordable car in the lineup. As you'll see below, we came away impressed.
What we drove: 2019 Genesis G70 Advanced 2.0T and 3.3T
Drivetrains: 252-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine with 8-speed automatic transmission; rear-wheel drive; 365-hp, 3.3-liter turbocharged V6 with 8-speed automatic transmission; rear-wheel drive.
MSRP: $41,000 and $50,000 (estimated)
Destination fee: $995 (estimated)

How It Drives

From the first mile, the G70 is strikingly well-tuned, with a welcomed balance of performance, ride, and handling.The 252-hp four-cylinder has a willingness to rev, and it delivers power without delay. Our testers favored the four-cylinder version, despite it being the more affordable version, perhaps because it was less nose-heavy. On the street and our test track, we found the car nimble, with an even-keel attitude through sharp turns and a good amount of steering feedback. And yet, the ride is compliant and well-controlled. The cabin is quiet, with just slight wind noise on the highway. As we would expect, sound is more noticeable from the four-cylinder engine than the V6.The turbocharged V6 offers more visceral thrills, adding more than 100 horsepower and a bucketload of attitude. Our rented G70 had a sport package that included an adaptive suspension and summer tires, all contributing to more brawn and grip in the corners, which elevated our enjoyment on the test track.

Inside

The cabin makes a good first impression, with an aesthetically pleasing design, elegant controls, and upscale materials, complete with soft surfaces, leather upholstery, and detailed stitching.The front seat is low, wide, and shapely, with mild bolsters. A range of drivers found the seats to be comfortable, helped by the four-way lumbar adjustments. This G70 offers an interesting novelty: The torso bolsters on the V6 model become more snug when Sport mode is selected. This extra hug helps keep the driver planted during enthusiastic driving.The controls are a model of simplicity, easy to read and operate, with the exception of the touch screen. We found it to be a far reach when drivers want to change modes, settings, and navigation—functions that aren't easily conducted using steering-wheel controls.The infotainment system graphics are shared with entry-level Hyundai models—we think the Genesis brand deserves a more premium look and feel. Of course, this may not matter to drivers who favor using Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.The electronic gear selector is not ideal. The Park button is on the same row as the R, N, and D, lined up ahead of the R as if to imply that when the shifter is all the way forward, it’s in Park when in fact it is in Reverse. That could surprise drivers.As with other sedans in its class, the G70’s backseat compromises on space. It isn’t quite roomy enough to comfortably seat average-sized adults.

Safety & Driver-Assist Systems

All G70s are equipped with automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, forward-collision warning, blind-spot warning, lane-keep assist, and driver-attention monitor.

CR’s Take

Genesis topped CR's recent brand rankings thanks to its strong road test performance, excellent owner satisfaction, and average predicted reliability from its two tested models, the G80 and G90. The Genesis brand may not have the cachet of its decades-old rivals, but it is poised to rapidly gain ground with impressive products like the G70.Genesis offers a concierge service to pick up a car for maintenance, while leaving a loaner for owners to drive. Touches like this should make a good impression on customers and help compensate for the relatively small dealer network.The G70 made a good showing at our track, earning favor for its accomplished handling, ride, powertrain, and interior ambience. We will buy our own G70 this summer to see how it truly measures up against the tough, established competition.
Old 07-23-18, 06:07 PM
KDX
Rookie

2019 Genesis G70 a genuine C-segment sports-sedan option

2018-07-23 Paul Seredynski The new Genesis sports sedan is a genuine C-class player with track-day capable components.
https://www.sae.org/news/2018/07/201...s-sedan-option
Old 07-23-18, 08:39 PM
sears1234
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw a G70 for the first time when I was on the way to office today.
It is not impressive, and I think the quad pipeline is a joke unless it has 400+ hp, the wheel looks very thin from rear, shouldn't be much stable at high speed.
Old 07-23-18, 10:45 PM
KDX
Rookie

Originally Posted by sears1234
I saw a G70 for the first time when I was on the way to office today.
It is not impressive, and I think the quad pipeline is a joke unless it has 400+ hp, the wheel looks very thin from rear, shouldn't be much stable at high speed.
They are not available to the public in the US yet and there are no quad pipes on the G70.
Old 07-24-18, 04:38 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by KDX
They are not available to the public in the US yet and there are no quad pipes on the G70.
Yeah, not sure what he saw, maybe a Camry.

Here's the G70 rear:

Probably a G80:

Last edited by Mike728; 07-24-18 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-24-18, 05:25 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Yeah, not sure what he saw, maybe a Camry.
If the G80 had quad pipes, it was either the 5.0 or the Sport 3.3t, which are both pretty fast. I think the quad pipes on the G80 look pretty good. Kinda surprised they didn't put them on the G70 Sport.
Old 07-24-18, 06:52 AM
KDX
Rookie

Test Drive: 2019 Genesis G70

http://www.autotrader.ca/expert/20180724/test-drive-2019-genesis-g70/
Old 07-24-18, 04:20 PM
KDX
Rookie

If the G80 had quad pipes, it was either the 5.0 or the Sport 3.3t, which are both pretty fast. I think the quad pipes on the G80 look pretty good. Kinda surprised they didn't put them on the G70 Sport.
Apparently there is going to be a high performance version coming out, so I'm guessing that one will have the quad exhaust. On a side note the Stingers (3.3) with the piggy back tuners are making some crazy power.

Old 07-24-18, 06:35 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I like the car but if I owned one, I would remove those stupid fender ornaments right away. They do not belong there at all. Just look photoshopped. Does not flow with any other lines in the body.
Old 07-24-18, 07:40 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I like the car but if I owned one, I would remove those stupid fender ornaments right away. They do not belong there at all. Just look photoshopped. Does not flow with any other lines in the body.

When they were finished copying Audi, Acura, Infiniti, BMW, and Alfa for the exterior design, that fender ornament was their personal touch to "differentiate" the car.
Old 07-24-18, 08:56 PM
KDX
Rookie

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
They are functional vents.

Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70