Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Genesis G70

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-18, 12:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

That makes sense compared to other flagship luxury sedans. Compared to those vehicles 70 dB is really high. You miss the concept that the ratings aren’t all vehicles compared with each other, it’s that vehicle compared to others in its market segment. H
No I do not miss the concept. Like I said, he said there are other cars in the segment that are quieter than the G70 at 70 dB, yet he still gives the G70 A- Full of BS and biased on his on his part. The G90 gets an A+ for 68.5 dB while the LS500 gets a C for 70.5dB...so if the G70 is a C at 70 dB and Alex claims there are cars that are quieter than the G70, how many dB does a car need in the segment to get a B let alone a C....

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-27-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 01:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

No I do not miss the concept. Like I said, he said there are other cars that are quieter than the G70 at 70 dB, yet he still gives the G70 A- Full of BS on his part.
If he gave the G70 a B vs. the A- would that be better? I'm not sure what any of these individual small points make.
Old 12-27-18, 01:06 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Thanks. I appreciate the comments ❤️
❤️ 10 characters
Old 12-27-18, 01:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
II'm not sure what any of these individual small points make.
We’ll just leave the discussion between you and I at that then.
Old 12-27-18, 01:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Like I said, it’s a subjective review. The ratings are his opinion on how the car compares to its competitors in certain areas. Not sure why this bothers you so much. If you don’t like his reviews just don’t watch them.
Old 12-27-18, 02:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
To me, the key selling point of the G70 is that a buyer can get the V6TT for the same price as German 2.0T versions, when equipped similarly. Not so much about setting trends--by definition, very few cars are "trend setters". It's all about what is the buyer's priority; I'd seriously consider the V6TT to replace my 328 (but I haven't driven the G70 or the Stinger, with either engine option, so that could easily change).

As far as "well rounded", that's what the bulk of buyers want; that's why the F30 3-Series moved away from "Ultimate Driving Machine" yet sold more than ever before.
Interesting point of view and comments. I would be interested to know when someons would pay the same dollar for dollar for a g70 as they would a BMW 3

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-27-18 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 02:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting point of view and comments. I would be interested to know when someons would pay the same dollar for dollar for a g70 as they would a BMW 3
A similarly equipped 3-Series will easily be $5,000 - $10,000 more.

I have a '14 CPO 328. Original sticker was $52,500 (in 2014) with 2.0T and xDrive. It's well equipped, but no HUD, no active safety features like blind spot protection or active cruise. That price gets you pretty close to a top of the line G70, and definitely a top of the line Stinger GT2. With 100+ more HP than a BMW 330. To me--that's the draw.
Old 12-27-18, 02:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
A similarly equipped 3-Series will easily be $5,000 - $10,000 more.

I have a '14 CPO 328. Original sticker was $52,500 (in 2014) with 2.0T and xDrive. It's well equipped, but no HUD, no active safety features like blind spot protection or active cruise. That price gets you pretty close to a top of the line G70, and definitely a top of the line Stinger GT2. With 100+ more HP than a BMW 330. To me--that's the draw.
The G70 represents massive value. But it boils down to the age old question. Can Genesis and parent Hyundai convert the badge snobs?
Old 12-27-18, 03:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Full of BS and biased on his on his part.
And you’re biased against Hyundai as you’ve stated you would NEVER buy one. when comments go to absolutes any objectivity is out the window. I think your bias makes your react more to alex’s bias, and i agree he’s clearly a big hyundai fan.

i ‘never’ imagined i would buy certain brands, but i never shut the door. Every day’s a new day and new models from brands i’ve never owned come along and may resonate wih me at time. right now i could imagine my next vehicle could be from a wide range of brands, including lexus of course and certainly brands i’ve never owned yet.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-27-18 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 03:25 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The G70 represents massive value. But it boils down to the age old question. Can Genesis and parent Hyundai convert the badge snobs?
No. Not right now. But it's an astonishing benchmark for a Korean sedan. The 3 still owns this market. But five years or 10 years down the road, that could change. Sure the Germans are special in their own way, but now they have some competition and it's coming from an unexpected new rival.
Old 12-27-18, 04:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

And you’re biased against Hyundai as you’ve stated you would NEVER buy one. when comments go to absolutes any objectivity is out the window. I think your bias makes your react more to alex’s bias, and i agree he’s clearly a big hyundai fan.

i ‘never’ imagined i would buy certain brands, but i never shut the door. Every day’s a new day and new models from brands i’ve never owned come along and may resonate wih me at time. right now i could imagine my next vehicle could be from a wide range of brands, including lexus of course and certainly brands i’ve never owned yet.
Of course I have bias. Everyone does, if they say they don't they are lying, or they do not understand bias or both. My comments earlier were about Alex on Autos as his claims which seem to pander to an upcoming brand that barely has any dealers and barely has sales which can only go up, up, and up (which is they actually have been doing down at Genesis for reason you have stated as well as down at Hyundai). I also lumped in Motor Trend as well.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And you’re biased against Hyundai as you’ve stated you would NEVER buy one.

You know something Bitkahuna, I will take what you said into consideration going forward.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-27-18 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 04:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

the LS500 is not as quiet as it’s competitors, or the previous LS460.
While that is obviously not your fault (the onus is on the car's designers, not you), with today's technology and methods in how to to control noise, IMO there is little excuse for that. It's probably just an attempt to save money on sound insulation. The Mercedes S-class does it right....at a cost. The Lacrosse also does it right, considering its sub-40K price, half that of an LS.

In fact, that's one of the things you and I agree on, even if there is plenty that we disagree on. I haven't done an LS500 test-drive yet, but, based on everything I've seen written and reviewed on it (and my own static-review), I'd also chose the 460.

And again remember, this is just a guy with a dayjob making YouTube car reviews for fun and a little profit. This isn’t Car & Driver.
Car and Driver doesn't go into the kind of detail Alex does.....not even close. I've been reading C&D for almost 40 years.....back when Rich Ceppos was writing for them, along with Brock Yates (a classic blowhard who I couldn't stand LOL), Csaba Csede, and Patrick Bedard.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-27-18 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-27-18, 04:51 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Car and Driver doesn't go into the kind of detail Alex does.....not even close. I've been reading C&D for almost 40 years.....back when Rich Ceppos was writing for them, along with Brock Yates (a classic blowhard who I couldn't stand LOL), Csaba Csede, and Patrick Bedard.
Of course they don't. The format, and the costs involved with a platform like that (instead of some guy with a camera) don't allow them to go into that kind of detail. And Alex knows this--that's the niche of the YouTubers.
Old 12-27-18, 05:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The ratings are his opinion on how the car compares to its competitors in certain areas.
Watching AoA. So the LS500 has a 70.5 dB and gets a C while the CT6 (which can only grow in sales) gets a 70 dB but is rated an A- Just absurd bias by Alex on Autos, while a G90 gets an A+ at 68.5 db.
Old 12-27-18, 05:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While that is obviously not your fault (the onus is on the car's designers, not you), with today's technology and methods in how to to control noise, IMO there is little excuse for that. It's probably just an attempt to save money on sound insulation. The Mercedes S-class does it right....at a cost. The Lacrosse also does it right, considering its sub-40K price, half that of an LS.

In fact, that's one of the things you and I agree on, even if there is plenty that we disagree on. I haven't done an LS500 test-drive yet, but, based on everything I've seen written and reviewed on it (and my own static-review), I'd also chose the 460.
Remember, that LS500 review from Alex that yielded that 70.5 dB rating was an F Sport.

Its three things in the LS500. First is engine sound, and the fact that by design the engine is louder in the 500 vs other vehicles in this class and the 460, and the F Sport is louder than the base car. Its part of the overall "sportier" nature of the LS500. The LS500 is also a front mid engine design and the engine is closer to the firewall and the passenger compartment. Second I chock it up to fat, runflat tires which contribute road noise. Competitors like MB and BMW use runflats also but they have had a lot of experience hiding their characteristics. I have a feeling that if you swapped the runflats out of the LS500 it would have a big impact.

Agreed, he does a good job. Like I've said before his reviews are a little long so I skip them unless its a car I'm really interested in. When it is, I really enjoy them and often watch them several times. And again, when you consider he's just a guy who started a YouTube channel on the side and now he has lots of subscribers, gets press cars, invited on press releases, etc its a pretty cool thing. His videos clearly take a lot of work...IMHO if somebody thinks they could do it better...they should.

Quick Reply: 2019 Genesis G70