Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln Aviator killed it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 02:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Wait, gear selector is with hvac buttons? Well that's a fail
Old 03-29-18, 03:42 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

nah. gear selector switches are right under the a/c vents in their own row.
It's a space saver,
unlike Acura's ginormous wtf-isthat-thing gear selector shroud bath tub...

There's just no room up top for storage, except a biscuit sized arm rest box...

Also better than the Continentals big vertical gear buttons.
Old 03-29-18, 05:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

LOL - this statement shows you have never driven RWD based SUVs.
Or a Golf R! (it's still a FWD car that supposedly can send 100% to the rear, but FWD all day long)
Old 03-29-18, 06:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Bitkahuna......when you are ready to trade your JGC, this just might (?) be a worthy replacement.
definitely looks worth checking out
Old 03-29-18, 06:23 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Beautiful look I hope this is what they end up producing.
Old 03-29-18, 07:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

definitely looks worth checking out

Might also be the case with the upcoming Cadillac XT4. Looks like it and the Aviator will be close competitors, though the Aviator may actually be between the XT4 and XT5 in size.

The big question, of course, once the Aviator debuts, is what will become of the Lincoln MKC and MKX? That's going to be an interesting question. I've always liked the concept and execution of the MKC (remember my PM?)....but its shoddy workmanship made me hesitant to get one or strongly recommend it to others.
Old 03-29-18, 08:08 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Might also be the case with the upcoming Cadillac XT4. Looks like it and the Aviator will be close competitors, though the Aviator may actually be between the XT4 and XT5 in size.

The big question, of course, once the Aviator debuts, is what will become of the Lincoln MKC and MKX? That's going to be an interesting question. I've always liked the concept and execution of the MKC (remember my PM?)....but its shoddy workmanship made me hesitant to get one or strongly recommend it to others.

Im pretty sure Cadillac is planting the XT4 in the compact segment. Even though from the looks of what I’ve seen so far it looks like it’s falling in between the subcompact and compact luxury crossover SUV segment. Main competition would be Volvo XC40, BMW X1/X2, and Lexus UX and NX. Cadillac has a tendency to make their segment entries slightly larger than the competition but then price it slightly lower than the competition​​​​​.

The Aviator will not compete with the Cadillac XT4 at all, but instead compete with Cadillac’s yet to be named largest crossover that will slot below the Escalade and debut in 18 months or less. Cadillac is getting killed in the 3 row luxury crossover segment because they have no vehicle representation in the segment.

In regards to the Lincoln Aviator, it seems this SUV will compete with the likes of the Volvo XC90, Audi Q7, Land Rover Discovery and possibly Lexus GX. I can see the Aviator nipping at the heels of the base level Mercedes GLS too. Lincoln has already stated it will slot above the MKC and Nautilus, but below the SWB Navigator.

I can easily see this Aviator becoming Lincoln best selling model after it debuts and possibly becoming a segment leader.
Old 03-29-18, 08:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by highrev6

Im pretty sure Cadillac is planting the XT4 in the compact segment. Even though from the looks of what I’ve seen so far it looks like it’s falling in between the subcompact and compact luxury crossover SUV segment. Main competition would be Volvo XC40, BMW X1/X2, and Lexus UX and NX. Cadillac has a tendency to make their segment entries slightly larger than the competition but then price it slightly lower than the competition​​​​​.

The Aviator will not compete with the Cadillac XT4 at all, but instead compete with Cadillac’s yet to be named largest crossover that will slot below the Escalade and debut in 18 months or less. Cadillac is getting killed in the 3 row luxury crossover segment because they have no vehicle representation in the segment.

In regards to the Lincoln Aviator, it seems this SUV will compete with the likes of the Volvo XC90, Audi Q7, Land Rover Discovery and possibly Lexus GX. I can see the Aviator nipping at the heels of the base level Mercedes GLS too. Lincoln has already stated it will slot above the MKC and Nautilus, but below the SWB Navigator.

I can easily see this Aviator becoming Lincoln best selling model after it debuts and possibly becoming a segment leader.

OK...we'll see. I've got no reason to doubt what you say. The problem is that the compact and mid-sized SUV market is getting so many entries now that it's getting more and more difficult just to classify them all.
Old 03-29-18, 08:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

i think xt4 is more the cadillac version of the buick encore.
i think the aviator is at least the size of the xt5.
Old 03-29-18, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It's gotta be larger than the Encore. The Encore is based on the subcompact Chevrolet Sonic....and is essentially a rebadged European Opel Mokka.

Old 03-29-18, 08:45 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

I can see how you might think that, But after cusrisouly reading up on this XT4 it is a extension of the GM epsilon E2XX platform used for the XT5. The XT4 employs a 109 inch wheelbase and 181 inch overall length. The Buick Encore is much smaller and measures in at 168 inches long with a rather short 100 inch wheelbase. The Encore is subcompact crossover and is closely related to the Chevy Spark, Sonic, Trax.

Last edited by highrev6; 03-29-18 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-29-18, 10:19 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

​​​​
It's gotta be larger than the Encore. The Encore is based on the subcompact Chevrolet Sonic....and is essentially a rebadged European Opel Mokka.
The XT4 is the luxury equivalent to the Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain. Equinox is 183.1" in total length and the XT5 is 189.6". The Lincoln Nautilus is 186.5", so coming full circle and back to the topic, the Lincoln Aviator is Explorer based. The current Explorer is 197.1". So don't expect the Aviator to be any less than 190.0"
Old 03-29-18, 10:43 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

i remember reading the aviator will be about 200"

And this will probably be in the $50,000 class.

Gonna be highly competitive, and I predict Lincoln will have to give fat discounts to move units.

Ford Explorer won't look as slick, judging by the spy shots. It appears to retain the same styling cues as the current Exploder.

Old 03-29-18, 10:44 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

My educated guess is Lincoln will have the Aviator base MSRP starting at $60k fully loaded in the low $70k range.
Old 03-29-18, 11:28 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

LOL - this statement shows you have never driven RWD based SUVs.
Go drive X5 and RX350 back to back - huge difference.

Jaguar Fpace, Alfa Stelvio, Porsche Macan, X3, X5, GLC, GLE etc are all RWD based.
FWD based crossovers cant compare to these in any way.

All of those that you mentioned above are poorly packaged SUVs especially Jaguar, Alfa and Porsche. Completely useless when it comes to Utility part in the SUV because they are RWD based. Can you point out to me how X3 drives better than Q5? It doesn't. If you want to talk about on extreme road performance of X6M then yes its easier to achieve that with proper RWD setup, if you want to talk about serious off-roading then yes as well but a medium sized SUV that used to be FWD will gain nothing by going RWD. RWD doesn't necessarily means better cause there are a lot of ****ty RWD vehicles on the market already.

RX350 drives pedestrian cause it doesn't have a proper AWD system in it, just like how Ford doesn't have one either, just like how Jaguar doesn't have one, just like how Alfa doesn't have one.

Wanna take a bet that new Aviator will drive exactly the same as the previous midsize FWD Lincoln SUV but more refined of course due to development evolution? It's not going to be Range Rover Sport or X5M no matter how it looks.

Quick Reply: Lincoln Aviator killed it.