Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Tesla just months away from a total collapse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 08:01 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

lol I just doubled down my position on TSLA. Too many naysayers.
Old 03-28-18, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol I just doubled down my position on TSLA. Too many naysayers.
.............and that position is?
Old 03-28-18, 09:06 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.............and that position is?
oh, I bought more shares today. I still have faith.
Old 03-28-18, 09:33 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Agreed that E cars dont really make sense unless we get energy from more renewable energy. But we have to start somewhere and we cant just sit around waiting for something to happen or be in optimal conditions. At least we live in CA where we are a leader in renewable energy sources.
Old 03-28-18, 10:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Tesla still has value in its charging network, battery manufacturing, technology and unique design/features etc.

Electric cars will only increase in sales and Tesla still offers the best EVs you can buy.
Plus the brand name is still solid and has a very loyal base.

Q1 sales report on Model3 needs to be strong and stock will go back up.
Old 03-28-18, 10:53 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Agreed, we have to start somewhere (and I'm glad we have, cleaner planet FTW!).

Not to steer this thread OT, but it's hard for me to imagine existing renewable sources ever supporting 288 million electric cars on the road, as there were registered vehicles in 2016 - and what 288 million+ electric vehicles would look like if we can't figure out another source of electricity (short of figuring out cold fusion).
The great thing is that it took us over 100 years to get that many vehicles on the road. We wont need to deal with that problem for a while. Elon is betting on solar power + battery storage in each house.
Old 03-29-18, 07:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

...it seems fund raising may succeed...
He's just buying existing shares. The company wont get a single penny out of it. Although the value of the shares he just bought may get hurt if Tesla decides to issue a couple of billion new shares. But this being a cult stock, it will skyrocket to $1m per share in no time.
Old 03-29-18, 07:47 AM
situman
Pole Position

I feel like electric vehicles are one of those things that nobody asked for. The amount of pollution from the manufacturing of batteries and electric generation will more than offset the benefits of electrification. Plus, the stress of remembering to plug in the damn car every night or road trip ruined.
Old 03-29-18, 08:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
I feel like electric vehicles are one of those things that nobody asked for. The amount of pollution from the manufacturing of batteries and electric generation will more than offset the benefits of electrification. Plus, the stress of remembering to plug in the damn car every night or road trip ruined.
What's rather ironic, is there are certain vehicles where imho the driver tends to be overly aggressive--Tesla happens to be one of them.

Also, it seems we dance around the obvious answer, and that is to conserve energy, possibly carpool (I do use this term when crossing the Hudson river as it saves big bucks on the toll)? lol When gasoline approached $5/gal., nobody even suggested it at least where I live. And for me, $5 is approaching game over for driving. Yet go to Canada, $5 USD per gal is not a lot. Or Europe for that matter.
Old 03-29-18, 08:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I have similar concerns, as I posted here, and in adding to your post, in addition to the disposal of all these (and future) batteries. But that discussion is for another thread (OT).
We seem to consume more and more batteries...look at my DeWalt tools, 20V 5ah and I think the list price is like $75+ each? edit this costs about as much as a battery does for a car (Costco) The are all over fleabay legit new for maybe $45 after discount? When electricity is free or costs 4.8 cents/kwh, I dunno what it would take for us to conserve energy. My colleague was just saying, it's a mentality. He has a 6,500 sq. ft. home, and 2 young kids. Everytime he gets home, there are like 6 tvs on, lights on everywhere, and his wife and 2 kids are only in one small area of the home. No matter how much he yells, this behavior doesn't change. It's during the summer when all the ac compressors are going, the utility bill gets his wife's attn. But back to the original topic, I doubt it (collapse). But it's not for me, nor is hybrids. They are to make a statement. Someone here said he breaks even on a Highlander in 2 yrs. Would be interesting to see the calculations.
Old 03-29-18, 08:40 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is from a guy who makes money shorting Tesla. Obviously he will claim Tesla is failing to fan the flames in his favor.
Old 03-29-18, 09:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

...valid point mr burns - a fund manager shorting a position then going to the press about it would reek of fostering his position, but not sure if he went to MarketWatch or MarketWatch went to him - plus, his position is well established (years) - so who knows there.

To me - based on his stated position (tesla's lacking financial fundamentals) this is a battle between financials and faith. The financials say they will collapse, people's faith in tesla on the other hand, is battling to keep them going. Which will win?
Shorting this stock? The problem I would have, and I dislike this co., and I like money more than I dislike this co., is that in a short position, loss is limitless. As in infinite. A fools' game. Everyone wants to be the cowboy in the Kid Rock (is he running for US Senate?) video, but let's be careful...
Old 03-29-18, 10:12 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Back in 1982 I joined Apple as a sales guy, calling on the Fortune1000 in SoCal. The Lisa was just about to come out and along with it a new kind of interface (WYSIWYG, black text on white background, trash can icons, etc.) that had been first pioneered by the Xerox Star (it worked but was extremely expensive). Everyone at Apple really, truly, believed we were doing something revolutionary and "insanely great," to use Job's words.

But Lisa was still a $10K machine and while it worked it failed over the next year to gain critical mass. Fortunately, Apple was saved with the Macintosh, a far cheaper approximation of the Lisa. Many people bought into the new interface, and eventually even clunky old Microsoft brought out Windows (of which the first few versions were just horrible).

Now I see something similar with the EV. The electric car concept has been around for a century. The big negatives-- range, cost, and practicality, have been whittled down but still exist. Like my 450h hybrid, initial cost is higher but operating costs are lower. So I don't think "cost" is a big factor any more. But for me the range/practicality is still the tough nut. I don't want to wait an hour or two while I'm on a road trip for the batteries to recharge. And I don't want to fill 'er up every night in my garage with a clunky cable.

But then we have the "faith" factor. People need to believe in something, and for many it's the AGW thing. Fine, not for me, but go for it if you wish. I see faith in the EV/AGW issue as being much more tenuous than what we had in Apple's remarkable new user interface.

I guess one question I would have is how long does Tesla have before they need to raise additional funds from their ardent supporters? And at what point will most of those depositors for the 3 want their money back? And Jobs never made empty promises, something Musk does frequently.
Old 03-29-18, 11:14 AM
situman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
What's rather ironic, is there are certain vehicles where imho the driver tends to be overly aggressive--Tesla happens to be one of them.

Also, it seems we dance around the obvious answer, and that is to conserve energy, possibly carpool (I do use this term when crossing the Hudson river as it saves big bucks on the toll)? lol When gasoline approached $5/gal., nobody even suggested it at least where I live. And for me, $5 is approaching game over for driving. Yet go to Canada, $5 USD per gal is not a lot. Or Europe for that matter.
At $5 a gallon, we have hybrids and cars not called SUVs. Heck even the new Corolla wouldnt be a crapbox torture chamber back in the day of cash for clunkers fiasco.
Old 03-30-18, 07:31 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Quick Reply: Is Tesla just months away from a total collapse?