Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Your Sunroof Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 12:57 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Is Your Sunroof Safe?

Is Your Sunroof Safe?
By Brian Dally

Sunroofs are larger and more popular than ever, but are they a growing risk to your safety? Find out inside.
Old 03-28-18, 03:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Is it possible to get thrown through the sunroof if you have your belt on?
Old 03-28-18, 06:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I’ll be honest and say I’m much more worried about what I’m cooking for dinner tonight than whether my seat belts will fail and I’ll be ejected through the sunroof in a crash.
Old 03-28-18, 06:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I’ll be honest and say I’m much more worried about what I’m cooking for dinner tonight than whether my seat belts will fail and I’ll be ejected through the sunroof in a crash.
I agree. Pretty bizarre thread.
Old 03-28-18, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't agree with the negative comments here....I think the OP has something. If you look at the statistics on injuries/deaths that those reports cite, they are certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Anyhow, either way, it doesn't affect me. For number of reasons, (this is only one of them) I've never had a sunroof, don't want one, and, if I can avoid it, will never have a vehicle with one.
Old 03-28-18, 07:46 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Unless your car rolls over and lands on its side (but NOT on its roof), you are more likely to be ejected through your windshield (front collision) or through a side window (side collision) than through your sunroof.
Old 03-28-18, 08:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
...but statistically, they kinda are...

2008 traffic fatalities = 34,017, of which 300 were sunroof related (according to post) = 0.88%
2008 traffic injuries = 1,630,000, of which 14,000 were sunroof related (according to post) = 0.86%
I don't consider those figures to be insignificant. 14,000 is a lot of injuries...particularly if you or I are one of them.
Old 03-28-18, 09:34 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Question for these statistics were any of the fatalities caused by the owner doing the jack in the box?
Old 03-29-18, 08:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

My lack of concern about this stems from the lack of associated seat belt data. If they said hundreds of people were being ejected through sunroofs DESPITE being properly buckled in, I would have some more concern. Perhaps I am being simplistic, but I am having a very hard time believing these folks were wearing their belts. I always wear my seat belt, without exception. My car doesn't move unless all my passengers are buckled in and my kids are properly belted in to their child seats.

I think the issue here is seat belts, not sunroofs.
Old 03-29-18, 09:52 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My lack of concern about this stems from the lack of associated seat belt data. If they said hundreds of people were being ejected through sunroofs DESPITE being properly buckled in, I would have some more concern. Perhaps I am being simplistic, but I am having a very hard time believing these folks were wearing their belts. I always wear my seat belt, without exception. My car doesn't move unless all my passengers are buckled in and my kids are properly belted in to their child seats.

Agreed, this looks like not using your seat belt properly causes this problem.
Old 03-29-18, 10:06 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 735 Likes on 506 Posts

You mean you guys didn't opt for the ejector seat upgrade?
Old 03-29-18, 10:07 AM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Thats why I was asking about them doing the jack in the box its a "trick" drifters, and street racers do were they put the car on cruise control sit on the roof halfway out of the sunroof and steer with there feet.
Old 03-30-18, 05:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XBROKER
My ex wife was thrown through the unzipped back window of my MG back in the day. Flipped it on it's side, wedged between two trees. I was young & indestructible & it was a snow covered road. Despite all of that effort on my part, unfortunately, she only had minor back injuries.
And she didn't leave you after that happened? You're a lucky guy in more ways than one.

Seriously, though, I'm a firm believer that everybody deserves one significant mistake being the wheel in the learning process, but they have to learn from it, and not repeat it. I myself made one error on a road with slick, hard-packed snow, when I was 17, and, yes, learned form it....fortunately, the accident wasn't too serious, and neither me and my friend were injured (we had seat belts on...that was before the days of harnesses).
Old 03-30-18, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by XBROKER
My ex wife was thrown through the unzipped back window of my MG back in the day. Flipped it on it's side, wedged between two trees. I was young & indestructible & it was a snow covered road. Despite all of that effort on my part, unfortunately, she only had minor back injuries.
Not that it's any of my buisness, but, just out of curiosity, is that why you two broke up? You don't have to answer if it's private.

Seriously, though, I'm a firm believer that everyone deserves one significant mistake being the wheel in the learning process (none of us are perfect), but they have to learn from it, and not repeat it. I myself made a error on a road with slick, hard-packed snow, when I was 17, and, yes, learned form it....fortunately, the accident wasn't too serious, and neither me and my friend were injured (we had seat belts on...that was before the days of harnesses).
Old 03-30-18, 06:14 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 647 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I myself made a error on a road with slick, hard-packed snow, when I was 17, and, yes, learned form it....fortunately, the accident wasn't too serious, and neither me and my friend were injured (we had seat belts on...that was before the days of harnesses).
Seriously, you were wearing seat belts in the '60's? It took my friends and me a few years after the Federal mandate to finally buckle up. That was the late '80's!

Quick Reply: Is Your Sunroof Safe?