Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan, Renault in talks to merge as one company

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 02:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Nissan, Renault in talks to merge as one company

Nissan and Renault have been tied together as an alliance for nearly 20 years, but now the Japanese and French automakers are discussing whether to merge. Bloomberg, citing unidentified sources familiar with the confidential talks, reports that the idea is to form a larger, single publicly traded company to better compete against giants like Toyota and Volkswagen.

It would also mark the end of the alliance that first began in 1999 and also includes Mitsubishi, in which Nissan
acquired a controlling interest in 2016. A full merger would help the companies pool resources to develop electric vehicles, autonomous vehicles and car-sharing services. It would involve Nissan giving Renault shareholders stock in the new company, with Nissan shareholders also gaining shares in the new company, Bloombergreports. The new company would be run by Carlos Ghosn, the current chairman of both companies.

But any such merger, as you might expect, would be complicated, in part by geopolitics. The French government owns a 15-percent stake in Renault, and both the French and Japanese governments might be reluctant to let go of their respective home-grown brands. Currently, Renault owns a 43-percent stake in Nissan, while Nissan owns 15 percent of its French partner. Reuters reported recently that Ghosn proposed buying most of the French government's stake in Renault as part of plans for a closer tie-up.

The Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance already has been working to establish a $200 million mobility tech fund to invest in startups, a reflection of how seismic changes in the auto industry have left many legacy companies scrambling to stay current. Nissan in 2016 paid a reported $2.3 billion to acquire 34 percent of Mitsubishi in order to share platforms, technology, manufacturing and other resources.
Source
Old 03-29-18, 03:19 PM
05ls430518
Pole Position

Received 189 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Rissubishi? Lol
Old 03-29-18, 03:29 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two wrongs are still a wrong this is just going to be one giant mess instead of two...
Old 03-29-18, 03:51 PM
Hoovey689

Nissault, Renissan
Old 03-29-18, 09:54 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If this happens, its IMO bad news for PSA. PSA is the company that makes Peugeot, Citroen, DS, Vauxhall and Opel. They just recently acquired Vauxhall and Opel from GM a year or so ago.

This will be a huge 500lb gorilla of a company that already has a pretty firm hold in almost every corner of the globe, 3rd world Asia, Europe, USA, Mexico, South America, China, Africa. Still though, this could be nothing, as these companies have pretty much operated as partners for the past 20 years, if not as one whole company.

Still not sure what to make of the merger, except that it will suck for PSA over in Europe, as they bought a car company(Opel/Vauxhall) that hasn't earned a profit in 20 years. Renault, a huge presence in Europe, just became a lot stronger IMO merging with Nissan.
Old 04-01-18, 02:28 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
two wrongs are still a wrong this is just going to be one giant mess instead of two...
Yeah, Nissan was just so lucky to have designed the only Japanese car that has all others sports car and exotic manufacturers scrambling, LOL.
Old 04-01-18, 02:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Though my strong guess is that it won't happen, I'd personally like to see just the oppsite......Nissan split off completely from Renault and become an independent Nissan again. They made some nice products in the 80s and 90s (one of my favorites was the 1Gen early-90s Altima), before Ghosn started all the cost-cutting....although Nissan had also started some cost-cutting of their own before Renault took over.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-01-18 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-01-18, 03:49 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though my strong guess is that it won't happen, I'd personally like to see just the oppsite......Nissan split off completely from Renault and become an independent Nissan again. They made some nice products in the 80s and 90s (one of my favorites was the 1Gen early-90s Altima), before Ghosn started all the cost-cutting....although Nissan had also started some cost-cutting of their own before Renault took over.
Nissan would not have survived without Ghosn coming in. They were on the verge of failing with huge losses year after year. I am glad Ghosn came in because he was behind the idea of continuing the GTR resulting in the R35. Without Ghosn, the R35 would not have become a reality.
Old 04-01-18, 04:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Nissan would not have survived without Ghosn coming in. They were on the verge of failing with huge losses year after year. I am glad Ghosn came in because he was behind the idea of continuing the GTR resulting in the R35. Without Ghosn, the R35 would not have become a reality.
Yes, it was a good halo car, but cars like that, at least from what I can tell, don't do a huge amount for day-to-day sales. Most people, for example, don't go out and buy a Focus or Fusion just because of the Ford GT.
Old 04-01-18, 04:53 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Meanwhile Ghosn lets the Z languish, and teases the IDx concept with no intention to make it reality which was inspired by the Datsun 510.
Old 04-01-18, 05:18 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, it was a good halo car, but cars like that, at least from what I can tell, don't do a huge amount for day-to-day sales. Most people, for example, don't go out and buy a Focus or Fusion just because of the Ford GT.
Truth, but honestly, I don't care. That's for Ghosn to figure out.
Old 04-01-18, 05:20 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Meanwhile Ghosn lets the Z languish, and teases the IDx concept with no intention to make it reality which was inspired by the Datsun 510.
Truth, but Toyota is the same with the Supra. They have to look at the bottom line also. I doubt Nissan will still come out with the R36 in the future.