Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

where are all those vw diesels they bought back...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 05:33 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
It's not photoshoped it's a still taken from this video.
sad thing is they will dump all of these trash in some 3rd world country and continue to pollute anyways.https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=Cem7_F6sg9I
I'm betting that if you didn't alter these cars in any way, they'd pollute A LOT less in some place tropical like San Paulo vs New Jersey or Hamburg in the middle of winter. These newer diesel cars(even the cheater VW cars) are pretty efficient and clean burning once the engine warms up. Its during that warm up period that they are still pretty foul and turn off the emissions programming. Thus if everybody in Hamburg on a January day when its -10c outside is doing 5 mile trips across town in their diesel car, you can see how the air quality in major European cities has gone to crap ever since the government pushed diesel with lower taxes.
Old 04-02-18, 06:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,837 Likes on 2,397 Posts

I've been to a few of these so called 3rd world locales they have ZERO emissions standards cars, trucks and buses spew out raw exhaust it's ridiculous there are clouds of soot swirling around the streets. These VW diesels would be 100's of times cleaner.
Old 04-02-18, 08:44 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I had one of these “dirty” diesels - ‘12 Jetta. Overall, a great car - in 5 years and 80k miles, ZERO problems. It was a no brainer to turn it in, though. Paid 23k for it and got almost $20k back (including goodwill card, payback $$$ and Bosch settlement check). For that money, wound up picking up an ‘08 LS and a year later when another kid started driving, an ‘08 Fit. Not a bad deal, if you ask me 😀.
Old 04-03-18, 02:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
I had one of these “dirty” diesels - ‘12 Jetta. Overall, a great car - in 5 years and 80k miles, ZERO problems. It was a no brainer to turn it in, though. Paid 23k for it and got almost $20k back (including goodwill card, payback $$$ and Bosch settlement check). For that money, wound up picking up an ‘08 LS and a year later when another kid started driving, an ‘08 Fit. Not a bad deal, if you ask me 😀.
from a diesel jetta to an LS - i'd call that a NIICE upgrade.
Old 04-03-18, 03:07 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

It's a real place. It's in Victorville next to the Southern California Logistics Airport, which is where they store all the Airplanes that are no longer in use. It's a cool sight to see if you're ever in the area.

Old 04-03-18, 03:17 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
from a diesel jetta to an LS - i'd call that a NIICE upgrade.
😁😁😁. I wish I was actually driving the LS more 😨.
My oldest daughter was driving the Jetta (for a year or so) and the wife had a CX-9. Once the Jetta was gone, the Wife got upgraded to the LS, daughter got the cx9, and I’m still stuck driving my beater ‘06 Tundra. The “baby” driver got a “smurf” - blue Honda Fit, when she got her license, but was upgraded to the cx9 once the oldest went away to college.
And.... for whatever reason, my wife is not too thrilled with the LS - says she would prefer an IS!!! Blasphemy, I say!
In few months, the second daughter is going away to college, so I’ll have a pick of the litter, but still no LS for me 🙁.
Old 04-03-18, 04:19 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VW can't legally export these parked cars to other countries, although that's apparently what they want to do to salvage the enormous cost of this cheating scandal. Under the terms of the agreement it reached with the US government (EPA, CARB), the company has to pull the ECUs of the cars if it wants to salvage or part out - otherwise they have to be fixed to legal emissions standards.

By the time you dismantle them, especially the older generations, the cost might not be worth what the parts are worth. The newer ones you can fix but you've paid out the owners and now you have to put in hardware/software fixes and still take a bath on them because you're selling used cars. And all the time the cost of storing them must be enormous.

Unless the government gives VW the authority to export, they won't be going anywhere.
Old 04-06-18, 06:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
. for whatever reason, my wife is not too thrilled with the LS - says she would prefer an IS!!!
Time to trade the tundra for an IS for wife and then you get the LS!
Old 04-06-18, 06:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in storage places all over the u.s.!!!!!
Then this would confirm what I've thought--depending on my route, I pass by this field in West Philly that has a ton of VWs. I assumed they are all diesel buybacks.

Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater, there is likely nothing wrong with these cars and society could benefit from a transportation standpoint.

Reminds me of the Firestone debacle, where when the tires got swapped out, the sidewalls were supposed to be punctured rendering them useless, yet they all wound up on the secondary market. Guess that can't happen here since vehicles need to be registered...
Old 04-06-18, 07:13 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater, there is likely nothing wrong with these cars and society could benefit from a transportation standpoint.

Reminds me of the Firestone debacle, where when the tires got swapped out, the sidewalls were supposed to be punctured rendering them useless, yet they all wound up on the secondary market. Guess that can't happen here since vehicles need to be registered...
I don't blame the system - I blame it on VW for trying to screw the system...
Old 04-06-18, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Unless the government gives VW the authority to export, they won't be going anywhere.

Don't count on it. If there's a buck to be made, legal or not, you can bet that buck that someone will find a way to make it.
Old 04-06-18, 09:54 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't count on it. If there's a buck to be made, legal or not, you can bet that buck that someone will find a way to make it.
People are very crafty, and like you say, when it comes to money, they will find a way. I am always amazed when I come across something, and I say wow, I never would have thought about that.

Two that come to mind, the new car dealer taking the spare tire out of my LS430, with a probably used once full sized spare, meaning mint tire and rim (still has grease markings from Japan/Tahara), cleaning it, mounting on car for pics to cars.com, then putting it back in the trunk. That surprised me, cool trick--it implied that the car has brand new OE tires at the time of the used car sale.

The other one was when there was basically a $20 rebate on jugs of 5 qt Pennzoil synthetic (net cost $3-$6 for a 5 qt. jug), the distribution chain ripped off all the $20 codes that were inside the caps by opening them, likely taking a pic, closing them, and redeeming the codes.

Small time? Sure, but I never would have thought of either....

p.s. I know to many price does not matter as this is a Lexus forum. But if you go to amazon, take a look at 5 qts of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30--it is sold out due to the combination of a rebate plus an amazon coupon, ships in 1-2 mos.
Old 04-06-18, 10:51 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

A few ideas for those v-dubs..