Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

where are all those vw diesels they bought back...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 07:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Default where are all those vw diesels they bought back...

in storage places all over the u.s.!!!!!

As part of the settlement after it got caught cheating on its emissions tests, Volkswagen has bought back about 350,000 of its U.S. diesel vehicles. The automaker so far has spent more than $7.4 billion on the cars, according to court filings seen by Reuters.

Where does VW put all those cars? Wherever it can find the space.

The German automaker has 37 remote storage facilities across the U.S., and they're not just parking lots. The sites include a former football stadium in the Detroit suburbs, an old paper mill in Minnesota and a giant patch of land in the California desert.

People who own or lease one of the affected vehicles can choose to sell their cars back to VW, terminate their lease or have their car modified for improved emissions. Owners and lessees have until Sept. 1 to submit a claim. ...

more here: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...auto-boneyards

Old 04-02-18, 08:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

better than being on the roads spewing nasty diesel fumes in my face!
Old 04-02-18, 03:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks like the parking lot at Fed Ex Stadium, right here outside of D.C., during a Redskins Championship game LOL.
Old 04-02-18, 03:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Looks photoshopped (never trust a pic from the internet). Weird how the back parts of the lot become blurry, but the scenery does not.
In my opinion, this is a total waste of money, cars, and resources. There are scores of people too poor to afford a car. Get these near new cars to them and make the world a little better. Some of these are probably five or ten times cleaner than old clunkers used elsewhere or in other countries (Cuba, Mexico, So. Amer, et al).
Old 04-02-18, 03:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So they are worried about a little bit of fumes, but hey, lets have an enormous waste of land. The energy required to produce replacement half a million cars, and the emissions/byproducts that will be created, probably exceed whatever damage that the emissions from these already produced and very efficient vehicles could possibly do.
Old 04-02-18, 03:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
So they are worried about a little bit of fumes, but hey, lets have an enormous waste of land. The energy required to produce replacement half a million cars, and the emissions/byproducts that will be created, probably exceed whatever damage that the emissions from these already produced and very efficient vehicles could possibly do.

I think Och has a point on this one.
Old 04-02-18, 03:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Not photoshopped the amount of detail fools the eye into thinking it is blurry. The scenery has less complex shapes so it look sharper. You make a good point these cars could go to areas where they have no emissions at all.
Old 04-02-18, 03:53 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Looks photoshopped (never trust a pic from the internet). Weird how the back parts of the lot become blurry, but the scenery does not.
In my opinion, this is a total waste of money, cars, and resources. There are scores of people too poor to afford a car. Get these near new cars to them and make the world a little better. Some of these are probably five or ten times cleaner than old clunkers used elsewhere or in other countries (Cuba, Mexico, So. Amer, et al).
My thoughts exactly, these have to be MUCH cleaner and MUCH safer than the 20+ year old junk they are driving around in places like Nigeria, Iraq, Cambodia, etc. And when I say safe, I don't mean more airbags, I mean that these cars don't have cracked subframes, tie rod ends welded back together, one working brake caliper, etc.

Sell them over there for cheap, let VW make some of their money back, and hell maybe VW gets a foothold in certain markets, in a few years those people might have enough scratch saved up to buy a new VW if their old one treated them well. People carp about VW being unreliable, but from word of mouth the diesel cars are pretty stout and are cheap to run up to 300k, 400k miles.
Old 04-02-18, 04:03 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
My thoughts exactly, these have to be MUCH cleaner and MUCH safer than the 20+ year old junk they are driving around in places like Nigeria, Iraq, Cambodia, etc. And when I say safe, I don't mean more airbags, I mean that these cars don't have cracked subframes, tie rod ends welded back together, one working brake caliper, etc.

Sell them over there for cheap, let VW make some of their money back, and hell maybe VW gets a foothold in certain markets, in a few years those people might have enough scratch saved up to buy a new VW if their old one treated them well. People carp about VW being unreliable, but from word of mouth the diesel cars are pretty stout and are cheap to run up to 300k, 400k miles.
I doubt they have high quality diesel in those countries that these cars require.
Old 04-02-18, 04:15 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I doubt they have high quality diesel in those countries that these cars require.
Didn't think about that, I wonder how hard(ie expensive) the workaround for that problem is. If the injectors and high pressure fuel pump won't work on the crap diesel, then it probably isn't economical to run these cars in the 3rd world. If all you need to do is cut off the cat-converter and disable the emissions stuff, maybe reflash the computer, well that's pretty cheap and easy.
Old 04-02-18, 04:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,836 Likes on 2,396 Posts

There are probably some ridiculous laws and regulations that prevent this.
Old 04-02-18, 04:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Didn't think about that, I wonder how hard(ie expensive) the workaround for that problem is. If the injectors and high pressure fuel pump won't work on the crap diesel, then it probably isn't economical to run these cars in the 3rd world. If all you need to do is cut off the cat-converter and disable the emissions stuff, maybe reflash the computer, well that's pretty cheap and easy.
Injectors and high pressure pump will probably crap out after 10 minutes, even if you flash the computer and get rid of emissions junk. Thats why people over there run old Toyota diesel pick-ups.
Old 04-02-18, 04:28 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
better than being on the roads spewing nasty diesel fumes in my face!
Ironically, they will be doing just that sometime in the near future. Somewhere in Africa, Asia, or even the Caribbeans. Plenty of cars/trucks do the same day in day out today around the world.
Old 04-02-18, 04:49 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not photoshoped it's a still taken from this video.
sad thing is they will dump all of these trash in some 3rd world country and continue to pollute anyways.

VW eventually intends to repair these vehicles and export them out of the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=Cem7_F6sg9I
Old 04-02-18, 05:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormwind
It's not photoshoped it's a still taken from this video.
sad thing is they will dump all of these trash in some 3rd world country and continue to pollute anyways
Hey, a lot of people in Third World countries will probably be glad to have them. They aren't spoiled like many of us.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-02-18 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: where are all those vw diesels they bought back...