Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future lexus owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-18, 10:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
HP rating is pretty meaningless unless we have to look at torque curve together. To me ES is wimpy compared to GS. I'd pick GS
AWD if I were buying one between two.
Scotty K and his Celicas are a good example...the ol' 180 HP and 133 ft. lbs. This marketing actually worked two decades ago, it would be nice to think people don't fall for that anymore. At minimum, when people see that, they should be thinking unusable rpms.

GS is a good choice too, if handling is of any concern (avoid LS in that case)
Old 04-06-18, 10:37 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
GS is superior to the ES in every way except for rear legroom.

Driver does not sit in the rear seat, LOL! Any way how many times you have rear passengers? If it were family car, maybe some children in the back?
Nowadays most families have two vehicles,. In my case 4 vehicles between 3 persons.
Old 04-06-18, 10:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

HP rating is pretty meaningless unless we have to look at torque curve together. To me ES is wimpy compared to GS. I'd pick GS
AWD if I were buying one between two.
Just stating facts for the OP who is new to Lexus. No need to dismiss numbers. The difference will come down to the GS having both port and direct injection, and the transmission gearing. Also bolsters why I mentioned which octane each model is tuned on.
Old 04-06-18, 11:09 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Scotty K and his Celicas are a good example...the ol' 180 HP and 133 ft. lbs. This marketing actually worked two decades ago, it would be nice to think people don't fall for that anymore. At minimum, when people see that, they should be thinking unusable rpms.

GS is a good choice too, if handling is of any concern (avoid LS in that case)
In old days we could walk into a dealer show room, pick up a brochure which always had power band graphs.
Old 04-06-18, 11:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Driver does not sit in the rear seat, LOL! Any way how many times you have rear passengers? If it were family car, maybe some children in the back?
Nowadays most families have two vehicles,. In my case 4 vehicles between 3 persons.
One of the main reasons why I traded my GS in on the LS and my LS in on the LWB LS is rear legroom. I liked the GS a lot, but I do drive people from time to time and as great a car as it was, it was annoying to not have my backseat passengers comfortable and to have people complain about rear seat comfort. One of the last straws was when we took a trip to WV with my cousin and his wife in the backseat and by hour 3 they were pretty vocally uncomfortable. Thats annoying when passengers aren't comfortable in your $60,000 car.

The SWB LS was plenty comfortable in the back, but with carseats my kids could still kick the seats. Yes we have a minivan, but both of us need to be able to take the kids places, and my kids especially my son love riding in daddy's car from time to time. The rear legroom in the LWB LS is cavernous.
Old 04-08-18, 09:08 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Drove a GS 350 this weekend I think I have found what I want.
Old 04-08-18, 09:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

GS is a great car. Get the F sport package with AVS for a better handling car. The LS also wouldn't fit in my garage due to dedicated storage areas. The GS is about the largest size I could accommodate. I also think the LS is just too big and not very engaging. You made the right choice.
Old 04-08-18, 11:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ALL4SPL
Drove a GS 350 this weekend I think I have found what I want.
Cool!

I too would recommend a Luxury model or an F Sport to get the AVS suspension.

The LS isn't "engaging" at all, it isn't supposed to be.
Old 04-10-18, 05:40 PM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Now I have a problem, because I found the ES 350 Crafted Line, which I love the way it looks, refined yet a side of sporty to it. The things I don't like about the GS when you go Crafted or FSport is the staggered wheel size, and the higher octane gas required. Of those two things I don't like the gas is my least worry as I do not drive much more than to work and back.

So IF I can find an ES 350 CL, I may opt for that over the GS.
Old 04-10-18, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The crafted line ES doesnt overcome any of its shortcomings vs the GS...

You gotta pay to play. The staggered wheels and premium fuel requirements are just because the car is designed to deliver more quality and performance vs economy. They don’t call them luxury cars for nothing...
Old 04-10-18, 07:10 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now I have a problem, because I found the ES 350 Crafted Line, which I love the way it looks, refined yet a side of sporty to it. The things I don't like about the GS when you go Crafted or FSport is the staggered wheel size, and the higher octane gas required. Of those two things I don't like the gas is my least worry as I do not drive much more than to work and back.

So IF I can find an ES 350 CL, I may opt for that over the GS.
Yeah, as SW says. You want a premium product and the ride/handling/luxe into an upper tier - you have to pay to play. The ES looks great, but the GS is the real deal, but it's also a very slow seller. You can find deals on such a car. Find a GS with a luxury package and you won't miss anything about the ES. The LS is in an entirely different tier. If you're worrying about gas costs and other concerns, then the LS is not for you.
Old 04-11-18, 10:33 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The crafted line ES doesnt overcome any of its shortcomings vs the GS...

You gotta pay to play. The staggered wheels and premium fuel requirements are just because the car is designed to deliver more quality and performance vs economy. They don’t call them luxury cars for nothing...

You mean painted black door handles and scarlet inserts don't address the shortcomings?!

Old 04-11-18, 10:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You mean painted black door handles and scarlet inserts don't address the shortcomings?!

Haha, who’d have thought huh?
Old 04-23-18, 10:26 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

I have now driven both styles of GS, Fsport and Non, the Fsport is too harsh for me. The regular is nice but the ES's I have driven seem to ride smoother. I have a car finder dealer who is going to meet me today to discuss either a GS350 luxury (which I can find ZERO of in 500 miles of me) or a Crafted Line ES. Yes they are different cars, but I don't care about going fast, my main concern is quiet smooth ride comfort.
Old 04-23-18, 10:52 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

I have now driven both styles of GS, Fsport and Non, the Fsport is too harsh for me. The regular is nice but the ES's I have driven seem to ride smoother. I have a car finder dealer who is going to meet me today to discuss either a GS350 luxury (which I can find ZERO of in 500 miles of me) or a Crafted Line ES. Yes they are different cars, but I don't care about going fast, my main concern is quiet smooth ride comfort.
If you like ES that wil be what you get. Personally I don't like FWD cars. I like rear wheel biased AWD cars.

Quick Reply: Future lexus owner