Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Future lexus owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-18, 10:21 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Future lexus owner

This being my first post, I will elaborate on myself a little. I am a 46yr old married guy, audio enthusiast (sound pressure level) who's done with SPL competition. I currently own a 2011 Silverado Ext Cab truck, nothing wrong with it, in fact in perfect condition with every bit of recommended maintenance done to it since I picked it up 2 years ago. As I drive it, I am reminded of why I want to get rid of it, the ride is rough so after doing a bit of research for the past 3-4 months I have turned to the Lexus brand. And here is where my issue is, I am not sure which model to buy. Here is a run down of what I have driven and what I am looking at.

ES 350 - Drove my mothers loaner while her RX 350 was in for repairs, it was only for a spin around my neighborhood and I didn't get a bad feel for it but again just like a normal test drive you really don't get a real "feel" for it till a while after purchase.
GS 350 - Have not driven one, however I did sit in quite a few at a local dealer "offleaseonly".

These are the two I am looking very hard at, simply because I am not really wanting and SUV, the RX 350 my mother has drives and rides very nice.

I guess my main question would be, what are the BIG differences ride wise between the ES and the GS? Either of these are in my price range as Used or CPOs 2015-2017, and the ES is in my range even brand new. I do like the looks of the GS a lot better than the ES, I am just concerned the GS will not ride as smoothly as the ES.

Thanks for any input.
Old 04-04-18, 10:27 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to CL, the ES is front wheel drive, and the GS is RWD or AWD and has more hp. Take both on a long test drive I think you'll choose the GS if you're looking comfort and performance. Can't go wrong with either one just depends on personal perference.
Old 04-04-18, 11:37 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,168 Likes on 863 Posts

Everything in the ES feels softer - the steering, the suspension, even the handles and little compartments IMHO. The ES likens its drive to an LS - comfortable, serene, and quiet...although not as good as the LS of course. The ES has adequate power and cruises very well.

The GS feels nimble, quick and almost smaller than it actually is. Handling is excellent and it has two personalities: on the one hand, you can drive it so that the ride is super calm and luxurious...on the other, it has an amazing athletic and strong build, feel and overall driving capability.

If you like to drive your car through a curvy road, give it wide-open-throttle and want that sporty feel, you'll love the GS. If you want soft, cushy and compliant go for the ES. Driving the two back-to-back will help you make your decision..I imagine that most people end up buying an ES after test driving both ES/GS because: a) it "feels" smooth as silk, b) its actually bigger than the GS, c) the ES is cheaper and proves to be an excellent value in the used/certified market.

As a current 2013 GS owner: I think a Luxury Package GS with 18" wheels is the best choice if you are comparing these two cars as it provides the right middle ground between the two. The ES can never feel like the GS though..the 4GS just has a great personality.
Old 04-04-18, 11:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Nothing that hasn't already been said, but, Both midsize, ES lots more rear leg room with no rear differential. You really just have to drive both to see which you like. Some key points

ES
FWD
ES takes regular 87 octane
Luxury - comfort
268hp

GS
RWD or AWD
GS takes premium 91 octane
Luxury - sport
306hp
Old 04-04-18, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL4SPL
This being my first post, I will elaborate on myself a little. I am a 46yr old married guy, audio enthusiast (sound pressure level) who's done with SPL competition. I currently own a 2011 Silverado Ext Cab truck, nothing wrong with it, in fact in perfect condition with every bit of recommended maintenance done to it since I picked it up 2 years ago. As I drive it, I am reminded of why I want to get rid of it, the ride is rough so after doing a bit of research for the past 3-4 months I have turned to the Lexus brand. And here is where my issue is, I am not sure which model to buy. Here is a run down of what I have driven and what I am looking at.
I agree with most of the ES vs. GS comments posted. But, since the main reason you want to dump the Silverado is a rough ride, and if all you want is a smoother-riding pick-up truck, go sample one of the newer Dodge Ram 1500s built in the last several years. You will be amazed at the ride-quality and noise-isolation, both are which are quite a bit better than the F-150 (even the new aluminum versions) and Silverado. Of course, the Ram will probably not have Lexus-type reliability.
Old 04-05-18, 04:32 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Drive an LS after driving an ES and GS. You’ll forget they exist and buy the LS. Look at a 13+ with that budget. V8 and excellent comfort.
Old 04-05-18, 06:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I've only had one GS but I have had 2 ESs and 4 LSs.

So the ES is a nice car, but it feels very similar to a Camry or an Avalon. Its a nice riding car, quiet, refined but nothing about it really feels "premium" or super high quality, the RX is the same way. Thats something you don't really realize until you drive better Lexus cars, such as the GS and LS or on the SUV side the GX or LX. The better cars have a solidity and a refinement to how they drive and operate which doesn't exist in the ES or RX.

The GS is firmer than the ES, but overall the drive is more satisfying, the car feels more solid and special. On the highway it rides much flatter and in many ways more similar to the LS than the ES. The ES just kind of rides along like a normal car.

If you're somebody who wants a really refined, smooth and soft ride and the quietest car you can get though, the LS is the car. Having had the LS and gone down to the ES, then to the GS and back to the LS, going forward I would rather keep my LS to 200k miles than to downgrade to an ES or GS.
Old 04-06-18, 04:47 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

GS is superior to the ES in every way except for rear legroom.

Old 04-06-18, 04:59 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Drive an LS after driving an ES and GS. You’ll forget they exist and buy the LS. Look at a 13+ with that budget. V8 and excellent comfort.
Probably the best advice.

Is there anything special at all about an ES, besides the fact that it has a Lexus badge? I totally get that if shopping new, there is a humongous price delta, but on the used market, imho one can be a little flexible and aim higher...
Old 04-06-18, 05:01 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

The LS is just not what I am looking for the gas mileage is pretty much the same as full size truck. But after the input here I have shifted away from the ES, and I am going to test drive some 2015 GS's.
Old 04-06-18, 05:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Probably the best advice.

Is there anything special at all about an ES, besides the fact that it has a Lexus badge? I totally get that if shopping new, there is a humongous price delta, but on the used market, imho one can be a little flexible and aim higher...
Not really. Don't get me wrong its a good car, smooth and quiet, will be very reliable, but its not going to "wow" you in any way.

The LS is just not what I am looking for the gas mileage is pretty much the same as full size truck. But after the input here I have shifted away from the ES, and I am going to test drive some 2015 GS's.
Having had the ES, GS and LS, gas mileage is all pretty similar, especially the GS. Going from the GS to the LS the cost of a fill up went up maybe $3-5. I fill up once a week, so it costs me an extra $12-20 a month in fuel maybe? Well worth it for the additional quality, comfort and size to me. My RWD LS will get 30MPG on the highway. Around town its 16 or so, but then so was my GS.

If gas mileage is more important to you than quality/ride, you should stay with the ES.
Old 04-06-18, 06:06 AM
ALL4SPL
Rookie

MPG isnt a HUGE factor it was just one of many as I looked over the LS vs GS, I would be limited to a 13/14 LS vs a 15/16 GS. Additionally, the LS will not fit into my garage and I want to keep my next vehicle in my garage.
Old 04-06-18, 07:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

MPG isnt a HUGE factor it was just one of many as I looked over the LS vs GS, I would be limited to a 13/14 LS vs a 15/16 GS. Additionally, the LS will not fit into my garage and I want to keep my next vehicle in my garage.
If already buying used I would choose a 13/14 LS over a 15/16 GS every day of the week. The 13/14 LS is identical to the 15/16 LS. Some infotainment changes but thats it. Thats assuming what you want out of the car is comfort, quality etc. If you want a sportier car thats one thing.

As for your garage, are you sure it won't fit? I have a small townhouse one car garage and my LWB LS460L fits, and I didn't think it would. The SWB LS is 200" long, I personally haven't seen any garages it won't fit in, and I'm a real estate broker so I see a lot of garages lol
Old 04-06-18, 10:04 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Interesting about fuel economy, I'm pretty sure the EPA on my 2006 LS430 is 16/23? That's pretty bad.

In reality? If I get on the highway, set the cruise to 65 mph, reset the mpg computer, and let it go maybe 50-70 miles, it will be 28-29 mpg. If you go to the 3rd gen forum this is the case. Since mpgs are self reported, not sure why Toyota shot itself in the foot like that. My wife's car is 16/22, and it gets about 19 doing the above, and 12 the rest of the time. I get that EPA is self-reported, but Toyota should have reported a higher number.

In the real world and 10's of thousands of miles of commuting, the penalty of the V8 over my V6 Maxima is 1.3 to 1.5 mpg on my daily commute. Not "that" much...
Old 04-06-18, 10:25 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nothing that hasn't already been said, but, Both midsize, ES lots more rear leg room with no rear differential. You really just have to drive both to see which you like. Some key points

ES
FWD
ES takes regular 87 octane
Luxury - comfort
268hp

GS
RWD or AWD
GS takes premium 91 octane
Luxury - sport
306hp
HP rating is pretty meaningless unless we have to look at torque curve together. To me ES is wimpy compared to GS. I'd pick GS
AWD if I were buying one between two.

Quick Reply: Future lexus owner