Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevrolet, Ford, and others may be axing several sedan models soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 05:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The fuel-economy argument, IMO, is at least partly bogus. While it is true that very large, heavy SUVs, or those built off of truck-frames, use a lot of fuel, many smaller ones and crossovers don't. In fact, some of them use as little, or less, fuel than many sedans. That's one reason why they are selling so well.
Old 10-02-18, 06:32 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
It's sad but also dangerous that the US are actually taking this turn. Yes, fuel prices are actually low (for us citizens, I still have around 1.9$/liter at my local pump), but they will not stay that low forever.
Some unspecified event could easily reverse this trend, and then, the US carmakers would be in a bad position to react to this evolution, meaning, they would probably disappear all together, due to their already bad financial state.
Also, I can't believe that US consumers don't like cars that can spare them lots of gallons of fuel during their lifetime. So the concurrent products in this field will, very probably, increasingly be asian and european.

In Europe, already, US cars are a thing for eccentrics buyers and have a rather bad (sometimes unjustified) reputation. Especially due to their massive fuel consumption, making them an absolute nightmare at the pump.
Its not the gas in the situation or how it applies to the American nameplates. Consumers are less likely going to buy mid to large size American badges sedans. That is where the issue is.
Old 10-02-18, 06:47 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Everybody thought the compact pickup market was dead and left it, leaving the Tacoma and Frontier to the market all to themselves. Now everybody is scrambling to get back in. There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Even if the sedan market drops all the way down to 15-20% of the market, there are still a couple million units for automakers to soak up. The Camrys. Accords and Altimas of the world will benefit from fewer players.
Old 10-02-18, 04:55 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts

And Ford will continue to produce sedans for the international market, sedans which they could easily bring back to the US if they so desired(as they are doing now with the Ranger).

They're still designing and doing R&D on cars. They're just not going to waste production capacity on them in the US while the margins are low and sales are declining. And now with tariffs, they're not even going to import them.

I would bet that they've done their projections and analysis on the cost to bring them back into the US market vs the profits that the small cars are currently eating up(every Focus built and sold in the US could have been a more profitable Escape, etc) and have decided to go with the more profitable option, both short and long-term.

If it doesn't turn out that way, Jim Hackett needs to resign.
Old 10-03-18, 08:54 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I bumped this old thread back up to add that Bob Lutz, in his monthly question-and-answer column for Road and Track magazine, said, in the latest issue, that Ford was doing the right thing.....the sedan market in the U.S. is dying. I'm not sure I agree, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for Lutz and his opinions. I, of course, am somewhat biased towards sedans myself (in my youth, I learned to drive on them), so that alone may color my own view a little. Sedans, in my area, do sell, but then, in this enormous new-vehicle market in the D.C. area, where the economy is so good, everything sells. In the real new-vehicle world, though, away from the big-money D.C. and Silicon Valley/Southern California regions, it is probably a different story. And, of course, in rural areas, pickups and SUVs have been the rule for decades.
More realistically the sedan market is dying for US manufacturers in many cases, it has been since the 90's but there are some exceptions. The sedan market is not dying for Japanese and European manufactures, it may not be as big as it used to be but it is not anywhere close to dying.
Old 10-03-18, 08:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

The fuel-economy argument, IMO, is at least partly bogus. While it is true that very large, heavy SUVs, or those built off of truck-frames, use a lot of fuel, many smaller ones and crossovers don't. In fact, some of them use as little, or less, fuel than many sedans. That's one reason why they are selling so well.
If you take the same basic chassis and same basic engine/trans even for a sedan and then lift it, beef it up a little for some off road use, make the vehicle higher it is going to weigh more, be less aerodynamic, will be slower, and will get poorer fuel economy, you can't escape physics, the difference will be less then a truck based SUV but the sedan/car is still going to get better fuel economy, will handle better, weigh less, be quicker.
Old 10-03-18, 09:08 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
And Ford will continue to produce sedans for the international market, sedans which they could easily bring back to the US if they so desired(as they are doing now with the Ranger).

They're still designing and doing R&D on cars. They're just not going to waste production capacity on them in the US while the margins are low and sales are declining. And now with tariffs, they're not even going to import them.

I would bet that they've done their projections and analysis on the cost to bring them back into the US market vs the profits that the small cars are currently eating up(every Focus built and sold in the US could have been a more profitable Escape, etc) and have decided to go with the more profitable option, both short and long-term.

If it doesn't turn out that way, Jim Hackett needs to resign.
Yes that is true, but it will still take a few yrs to bring said international model to the U.S. with various testings and regulation compliance. Also, those sedans might be too small for American tastes, so while it can be done, it isnt very easy.
Old 10-03-18, 09:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I have a sedan and a CUV, and love both of them for different reasons.

The GS has been lots of fun and can seat the 4 of us comfortably, even for long rides, but is also a fun daily commuter. It's not good when loaded up with strollers, coolers, etc.

The Highlander is a great family vehicle and is my wife's daily driver. Obviously it handles nothing like my GS, but I'm not really flinging it around corners with the family (hang on to your sippy cups, kids!). When I look at something like the Highlander versus something like a Camry, I don't feel like I am making a sacrifice by choosing the CUV. I find it to be more comfortable, plus it is roomier, has tons of cargo room, AWD, etc. It also means we can all go out in one car when we have company over.

As for gas mileage, it isn't a fair battle in my house, since the Highlander is a hybrid. My 5 passenger (4, realistically) AWD sedan with 306 hp averages 16-17 mpg. My 7 passenger (6 realistically) AWD CUV with 280 hp averages 28 mpg.
Old 10-03-18, 10:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
More realistically the sedan market is dying for US manufacturers in many cases, it has been since the 90's but there are some exceptions. The sedan market is not dying for Japanese and European manufactures, it may not be as big as it used to be but it is not anywhere close to dying.
I agree. Less people are willing to pay for a American nameplate sedan. Been slowing decaying since the 90s. You are right!
Old 10-03-18, 01:41 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Yes that is true, but it will still take a few yrs to bring said international model to the U.S. with various testings and regulation compliance. Also, those sedans might be too small for American tastes, so while it can be done, it isnt very easy.
And it takes time to develop a car anyways. It's probably easier to adapt an existing design to US standards than to keep doing total refreshes of a parallel vehicle to something you're already doing overseas.

Don't forget, the Fusion was just Ford adapting the Mondeo to North America. The Taurus probably wouldn't ever be replaced, but all of the current lineup below that has an overseas counterpart.

Basically, if Ford has the resources to completely redesign the aging Focus, Fusion, Fiesta, and Taurus models, why wouldn't they have the resources to adapt the overseas models down the road? In fact, the latter will be advantageous because in the meantime, Ford will make more money by selling profitable CUV's and SUV's instead of sedans. Then when the market shifts, they can bring an already existing line of sedans domestic. I imagine those will be designed to be easier to adapt going forwards.
Old 10-03-18, 03:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,362 Likes on 1,549 Posts

Originally Posted by Benoit
It's sad but also dangerous that the US are actually taking this turn.
dangerous? lol

while suvs may have started as inefficient truck based boxes they now come in all shapes and sizes. compact utility vehicles which sell like crazy here in the u.s. are basically tall hatchbacks the latter which make up the majority of cars in europe. so just as roofs on hatchbacks were raised to make cuvs, they can be lowered again if people really want cramped hatchbacks like europe (i doubt it).

your view that only eccentric europeans have u.s. vehicles which is certainly true for cars like mustangs and camaros but don't forget a lot of the BMWs sold in europe are made where, you guessed it, right in the u.s. of a. same thing with mercedes.

your loathing of the u.s., its auto industry and consumers is palpable, and outdated.
Old 10-03-18, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
If you take the same basic chassis and same basic engine/trans even for a sedan and then lift it, beef it up a little for some off road use, make the vehicle higher it is going to weigh more, be less aerodynamic, will be slower, and will get poorer fuel economy, you can't escape physics, the difference will be less then a truck based SUV but the sedan/car is still going to get better fuel economy, will handle better, weigh less, be quicker.
It is much more complex than that. Many other factors are also involved, such as engine size, lower weight (many newer models lose weight from lighter materials), transmission efficiency, rolling-resistance of the tires, etc.... Some SUVs are so slick, aerodynamically, that they rival or exceed sedans in that department....the days of nothing but classic, two-box SUVs are gone, though I myself still like the two-box design for interior space efficiency.
Old 10-03-18, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Don't forget, the Fusion was just Ford adapting the Mondeo to North America.
The current American-market Fusion bucked a long tradition, and was actually introduced here in the U.S. before the Euro-version.

Basically, if Ford has the resources to completely redesign the aging Focus, Fusion, Fiesta, and Taurus models,
I'm not terribly impressed with the other three, but IMO the current Fusion has aged extremely well. IMO, it doesn't need much work except maybe for quality-control at the factory....and is arguably Ford's best American-market sedan. If I were in the market for any Ford Product, it would probably be a choice between the Fusion and its upmarket MKZ brother....and I strongly considered an MKZ before I got my Lacrosse.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-03-18 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 05:58 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I hope Chevy keeps this line. It would be a shame to obsolete this license plate.

http://www.inventics.com/chevy.jpg

Last edited by riredale; 10-03-18 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 09:45 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

It is much more complex than that. Many other factors are also involved, such as engine size, lower weight (many newer models lose weight from lighter materials), transmission efficiency, rolling-resistance of the tires, etc.... Some SUVs are so slick, aerodynamically, that they rival or exceed sedans in that department....the days of nothing but classic, two-box SUVs are gone, though I myself still like the two-box design for interior space efficiency.
I am talking about the same basic chassis, engine, trans that a car and cuv share, the cuv will weigh more, be less aerodynamic, be slower, not handle as well, and get worse fuel economy, you can't escape physics when you add more metal/material, beef up suspension parts to handle some off road use, raise the vehicle to give it more ground clearance which also gives it a higher center of gravity, it is simply going to weigh more, be less aerodynamic, will not handle as well, will be slower, and will get worse fuel economy, etc. Depending on how much larger or how good the CUV is made for off road use the difference in all those stats can be pretty large to pretty small but there will be a difference.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet, Ford, and others may be axing several sedan models soon