Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Chevy Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 07:48 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw one the other day. It looked pretty sick so I gave it some Tylenol.
Old 10-18-18, 09:24 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Still has those small side windows.
Old 10-18-18, 09:52 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

it really reminds me of a smaller, better sized Challenger (esp the rear).
Old 10-22-18, 07:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

saw a 2019 near the airport, ugly with the bowtie on the bumper --- it was obviously a rental...flashers were on and the guy was out of the vehicle, breakdown I'm guessing.
Old 10-22-18, 08:21 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I'd be happy with a heavily discounted 18 SS

That looks like a decent price for an 8 cyl....there could be some catches, my dad bought a Buick in 2017, and there were cars that were $42k list, showing up on cars.com for $27k.....he did end up getting a car listing for $39k, for a legit $31k, so no question GM has steep discounting because lists are inflated....
Old 10-24-18, 12:34 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

looks like GM got the message, the 2019 Fascia is ugly. They are already talking a fix/refresh. reminds me of the Malibu issue a few years back where mid-year they had to refresh the rear end because it was so ugly the car wouldn't sell:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/sema...cid=spartanntp

Chevrolet Reportedly Scrambling to Fix the 2019 Camaro SS Face

Why, it seems like just yesterday (it was April) when General Motors dropped the first photos of the updated 2019 Chevrolet Camaro, leaving enthusiasts everywhere uttering a collective, “whuh?” Now it turns out the Camaro SS’ new face—which hasn’t been doing it any favors from a sales perspective—could get a redesign very soon.

This report comes to us from GM Authority, which claims that one of the two front fascias we saw on the Camaro’s Shock Yellow SEMA concept car last week—the one with the colored bar across the front and the Chevy bowtie up top in the narrow grille—is being “fast-tracked for production.” That’s the design pictured up top.

If accurate, the concept’s grille would replace this one with a horizontal black bar:

And this one:

It’s a subtle change, but a good one if it happens. The updated Camaro’s all-black, gaping maw was a bizarre choice that ruined its aggressive looks and made it seem, I don’t know, too tall? Too wide? It’s a mess.

Here’s what GM Authority has to say about the reasoning here:

Despite being able to dogfight cars twice or even three times its price on the road course, sales have contracted since the launch of the sixth-generation Camaro, and the design refresh has reportedly done little to change things, say dealers.

2019 Camaro SS models have made their way onto lots over the past month or so, but the take rate and interest in the vehicle has said to have dropped. Hence the snap decision to introduce a “concept” fascia design for the car during next week’s 2018 SEMA Show in Las Vegas.

And they’re spot on. Everyone knows the current Camaro is a superb performance machine with some of the best handling and power you can get at any price. Problem is, its sales aren’t doing great at the moment.

There are a lot of reasons for this, from a declining sports car market in general as the world shifts to SUVs and crossovers to the Camaro’s own struggles with visibility. I’d add that at the end of the day, despite being on a wholly new platform, the Gen 6 Camaro doesn’t look that different from the one that preceded it, and that’s never a great recipe for sales success.

Indeed, even the Camaro’s chief engineer groused to Automotive News recently that its competitors the Mustang and Challenger are way ahead in the sales race. He attributed this, in part, to the Camaro’s focus on more expensive, higher-end variants that have priced out people who might have cross-shopped it against a hot hatchback instead. Camaro sales are down 28 percent this year, reportedly a decline three times worse than the average sports car sales drop:Chevy officials originally said they were fine with ceding some volume in the interest of profitability, but this year the Camaro has dropped to an embarrassing third place—in a three-vehicle segment—behind the Mustang and the Dodge Challenger, which sits on a more than decade-old platform.

Now, Chevy is trying to fight back by targeting the lower end of the pricing spectrum, where Ford and Dodge have been thriving.

“Frankly, they’ve been eating our lunch,” Al Oppenheiser, chief engineer of the Camaro, said of the Mustang in particular. “The low [transaction prices] of a four-cylinder ... that’s where the bulk of the sales are and that’s where our pricing strategy needed improvement. We plan to go head to head—and win.”
And clearly, the updated face isn’t helping a bad situation. My guess is based on this, Chevrolet could rush out the SEMA-inspired grille for the 2020 SS version, but it’s unclear what’ll happen to the updated face of the four-cylinder and V6 models, which aren’t that great-looking either.

Best of luck to all involved.