Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Falling For Lexus: Stories of Love

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-18, 08:59 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Falling For Lexus: Stories of Love

Falling For Lexus: Stories of Love
By Conor Fynes

There are a hundred different reasons why someone might fall in love with Lexus. Every owner has a love story of their own to tell-- what's yours?

Old 05-01-18, 05:44 AM
ES2LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4runner permit driver

Got a hold of my teen-age crush by mid 20s
When i was 13, my mother owned a 94 4runner. That had well over 150k mileage. I had no permit yet handled it like a beast in Chicago weather.

Fast forward to college days and 250k mileage, that truck was still pushing. Head gasket cracked somewhere around 275k. I had no idea what that meant but wish i did though. Cheap fix!
I always knew lexus was toyota's luxury twin. When younger the Camry and ES were oddly the same but the ES had a sexy figure. Like a woman who lost 15lbs and toned up a little. Lol, dont judge me.
So i set my sights on owning one before 25. First car i bought, 94 monte carlo $1700, put 100k miles on it and guess what.. head gasket cracked. This is when i learned that what warming up your car in chicago weather meant.
Second car, 04 continental $6k. Road Warrior that lost a unknown battle which it ended up topside down after accelerating on it's own. Put 125K miles on it!

That lead me to a beauty 04 ES330, $12k. Pics are in my album200k miles i put on it before selling it.
Now pushing a '13 LS46, *austin powers voice* "yeah baby"

Lexus is an acquired taste. I hold it above the german makers. Longevity, style, stamina, affordability, sensibility.
The maintenance on these are lovely i can go on and on. Haven't set my eyes on LX just yet.. NX looks great.. wish it bigger though.
Old 05-01-18, 06:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Let's face it, Lexus is uber reliable. What does this really mean? It means one totally overlooks its many, many, many, boring attributes. Because it's not boring getting to work on time, day in, day out. It also means one can buy a 10 y.o. one with 81k, and then 1 1/2 yrs. later of daily driving, as predicted, nothing broke. Well, maybe 2 $14 eBay park assist sensors are needed, but nothing else.

Also, this opens up the door and provides the foundation for more exciting vehicles to enter the stable. A friend is fortunate enough to have his employer provide a 2017 S550 4matic. He calls it, "A PIECE OF GARBAGE." Huh? Long list of things that went wrong, but imho the worst is being towed. lol I'm still wanting one, though.

Have you ever called your Lexus, a "PIECE OF GARBAGE?" The over / under is no. Just as I hope our hockey team wins the Stanley Cup in my lifetime, I hope that Lexus finds its way and beats the competition flat out. Like they almost did in MY 1990.
Old 05-01-18, 07:22 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Happy Tuesday, Lexus Enthusiasts!

Tell us your Lexus story in 400 words or more, post 5 or more images of your car, and we will feature your story on ClubLexus.com.

This could be fun!
Old 05-01-18, 08:27 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Let's face it, Lexus is uber reliable. What does this really mean? It means one totally overlooks its many, many, many, boring attributes. Because it's not boring getting to work on time, day in, day out. It also means one can buy a 10 y.o. one with 81k, and then 1 1/2 yrs. later of daily driving, as predicted, nothing broke. Well, maybe 2 $14 eBay park assist sensors are needed, but nothing else.

Also, this opens up the door and provides the foundation for more exciting vehicles to enter the stable. A friend is fortunate enough to have his employer provide a 2017 S550 4matic. He calls it, "A PIECE OF GARBAGE." Huh? Long list of things that went wrong, but imho the worst is being towed. lol I'm still wanting one, though.

Have you ever called your Lexus, a "PIECE OF GARBAGE?" The over / under is no. Just as I hope our hockey team wins the Stanley Cup in my lifetime, I hope that Lexus finds its way and beats the competition flat out. Like they almost did in MY 1990.
Yes, my 2006 GS300 was a piece of garbage. Between transmission solenoid (whopping $1000+) and engine oil burning problems, I think Lexus can go F themselves.
Old 05-01-18, 08:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Yes, my 2006 GS300 was a piece of garbage. Between transmission solenoid (whopping $1000+) and engine oil burning problems, I think Lexus can go F themselves.
Not serious, right? Or maybe so? I think one thing that determines the garbagabiliociousness of a vehicle, is the unexpected stranding of the owner. Even when you have a brand spanking new car and are given a loaner, if you are on a flatbed repeatedly, it for sure ruins the experience. We kid about things like the S class, because it is drop dead gorgeous, but a/c failing when new, premature brake pad/rotor replacement, electronics failing, noises that the dealership can't correct, and then getting stranded multiple times, my bro's friend is dissatisfied with his S class. Then again, deal with it. Besides Mary Kay, who gives you a co. car to drive expense-free, i.e. not an allowance?
Old 05-01-18, 11:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I actually bought my first Lexus (a 1Gen IS300) because, in some ways, it was a non-Lexus. I liked the bright Solar Yellow paint job offered that year (2001), the chronograph-styled gauge-cluster, the real metal (no cheap imitation) polished-chrome-ball shifter, and the silky smoothness of the in-line 3.0 six. It was also built like a tank.....especially compared to its noticeably-less-robust Gen and 3 Gen successors. Most of its styling, of course, was taken from the almost identical Toyota Altezza, was sold outside the U.S. market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-01-18 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-01-18, 09:34 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I started liking Lexus when I started noticing the IS300, GS300 and LS430 on the streets in the early to mid 2000s. Plus, I was playing The Getaway game on the Playstation 2 which had different Lexus vehicles including a modified LS430. I eventually got an IS350.
Old 05-10-18, 07:33 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,730 Likes on 1,900 Posts

I just wrote a really long 18-month owner review of my IS 300 AWD, and included is the story of how I ended up with it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l#post10195887

I do love the car. I think I got the wrong trim though - should have just ponied up the extra cash for a 350 RWD. They had one available at the time too, which I didn't realize would be a rarity here in MO due to the inevitable snow.
Old 05-10-18, 08:28 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Not serious, right? Or maybe so? I think one thing that determines the garbagabiliociousness of a vehicle, is the unexpected stranding of the owner. Even when you have a brand spanking new car and are given a loaner, if you are on a flatbed repeatedly, it for sure ruins the experience. We kid about things like the S class, because it is drop dead gorgeous, but a/c failing when new, premature brake pad/rotor replacement, electronics failing, noises that the dealership can't correct, and then getting stranded multiple times, my bro's friend is dissatisfied with his S class. Then again, deal with it. Besides Mary Kay, who gives you a co. car to drive expense-free, i.e. not an allowance?
I suppose getting stranded TWICE with the blown solenoid AND failed coil packs doesn't count as being a trash. I'm sure Lexus improved all the baddies after that year, but seriously? My old GS400 had ABS failure at 200K miles, not transmission/engine issues at 90K miles.