Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Pre-facelift vs Facelift: What would you buy new?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-18, 09:09 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually I prefer the pre-facelift because I think it's more pure and closer to what the designer envisioned for the entire car, but with the IS I do like the refreshed version better.
Old 04-12-18, 09:40 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I had a similar situation. I was shopping about a month prior to the '17 IS arriving at the dealership. There was a sale going on, which was supposedly ending, and I got a decent amount off my IS since they wanted it gone before the '17s arrived. If I could do it over, I'd probably at least wait to test drive the '17.
Good to hear from your experience. Do you think you would have purchased the refresh 2017 Lexus IS over the 2016 Lexus IS, if given a chance?

Overall - based on your car buying experience - are you more of a new model year buyer or a face-lift buyer?

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Usually I prefer the pre-facelift because I think it's more pure and closer to what the designer envisioned for the entire car, but with the IS I do like the refreshed version better.
Good point! The pre-facelift is often times referred as to what the designer sort of envisioned it. On some cars, however, I personally see the refresh as what it should have been in the first place. IE: The Lexus IS should have started out with that 10.3" inch screen - it annoyed me that it didn't. There is no reason for them to not start it out with it. Lexus seems to have purposefully not give it; evidence by the insane bezels on the pre-facelift Lexus IS.
Old 04-12-18, 11:28 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,874 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
Good to hear from your experience. Do you think you would have purchased the refresh 2017 Lexus IS over the 2016 Lexus IS, if given a chance?

Overall - based on your car buying experience - are you more of a new model year buyer or a face-lift buyer?
To the first question, I am honestly not sure. At the time I wasn't totally a fan of the refresh. I liked the larger screen but not the taillights, and I certainly would have gotten a better deal on the 2016. Toss-up, though to be honest. I do like having the newest one.

I guess I am pretty much a new car buyer by now, lol. My past two cars have been leased.
Old 04-12-18, 03:07 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

To the first question, I am honestly not sure. At the time I wasn't totally a fan of the refresh. I liked the larger screen but not the taillights, and I certainly would have gotten a better deal on the 2016. Toss-up, though to be honest. I do like having the newest one.

I guess I am pretty much a new car buyer by now, lol. My past two cars have been leased.
Thanks for answering the questions. I'm just relatively curious about CL users on their preference regarding pre-facelift and facelift.

To follow on your last statement - new car buyer by now? Do you mean you'll just buy what's new regardless of pre-facelift or facelift model?
Old 04-12-18, 03:30 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I buy all my cars new so I like to have at least the newest generation car during my ownership period. I also don't like 1st year bugs so I always try to buy the 2nd year of a new generation car. I guess that makes it so that I always buy the pre-facelift models due to those conditions.
Old 04-12-18, 05:05 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I buy all my cars new so I like to have at least the newest generation car during my ownership period. I also don't like 1st year bugs so I always try to buy the 2nd year of a new generation car. I guess that makes it so that I always buy the pre-facelift models due to those conditions.
For sure. First year bugs are a big no-no. Usually - the general rule of thumb - is to buy the 2nd model year if you want the newest generation.

Curious - is there a reason why you prefer pre-facelift models over facelift models? Would you ever be willing to wait until roughly the 3rd or 4th model year to buy a refresh one over the 2nd model year?
Old 04-12-18, 05:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

For sure. First year bugs are a big no-no. Usually - the general rule of thumb - is to buy the 2nd model year if you want the newest generation.

Curious - is there a reason why you prefer pre-facelift models over facelift models? Would you ever be willing to wait until roughly the 3rd or 4th model year to buy a refresh one over the 2nd model year?
I usually like the pre-facelift better. I feel the facelift is just a compromise in not producing a completely new car so usually just a cosmetic refresh.
Old 04-12-18, 11:02 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
I usually like the pre-facelift better. I feel the facelift is just a compromise in not producing a completely new car so usually just a cosmetic refresh.
True. Facelift is basically a half-generation. I think people should start calling cars 1st, 1.5, 2nd, 2.5 and etc... generation. It'll make more sense.
Old 04-13-18, 07:27 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,874 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Agreed on both counts. I preferred the looks of the pre-facelift IS overall, and based on the number of issues with the 2014 model year, I am glad I got a 2016.

Sometimes refreshes are really successful, but most of the time it's obvious the car wasn't originally designed to look that way. Take the 2015 Camry refresh - they had to tack on a black plastic piece to the rear window to give it the look they wanted. In addition the front and rear didn't really match. It was just something that made it look "fresh" at the time.

Edit: thought, I will say the interior updates on that refresh were well-done.
Old 04-13-18, 09:58 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed on both counts. I preferred the looks of the pre-facelift IS overall, and based on the number of issues with the 2014 model year, I am glad I got a 2016.

Sometimes refreshes are really successful, but most of the time it's obvious the car wasn't originally designed to look that way. Take the 2015 Camry refresh - they had to tack on a black plastic piece to the rear window to give it the look they wanted. In addition the front and rear didn't really match. It was just something that made it look "fresh" at the time.

Edit: thought, I will say the interior updates on that refresh were well-done.
For the 3rd gen Lexus IS, especially the IS250/200T/300 models, its definitely worth the wait. I'm willing to bet a few people that bought the 14/15 IS250 have buyers remorse once they released the 200T. Similarity - I know people who got the 14/15 Q50 with the VQ37 motor that hella regretted it because the TTV6 came out for the MY2016.

True. It definitely depends on the car to determine if the facelift model is worth it or not.

Question: If you had a magical power ball that lets you see into the future and know what the facelift model will have, will you wait for the facelift model if you knew it was a going to be "better" (IE: newer engine and etc...)?
Old 04-13-18, 11:38 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

True. Facelift is basically a half-generation. I think people should start calling cars 1st, 1.5, 2nd, 2.5 and etc... generation. It'll make more sense.
This was exactly the case when I was looking for a used car, October 2016. I could buy a 2006 LS430 with about 80k miles, or a 2014 Toyota Camry, with 35k, for about the same amount of money. An Audi A8 with 60k, would be about $2500 less. When I was searching Camry, I was seeing 2014.5, and the price was much higher, maybe 2k? I forgot now what the .5 entailed, but it was more than cosmetic....one of my coworkers did buy a 2014 for cheap, one thing was already broken but it was fixed (pretty sure these cars were service loaners), and as predicted, not a single thing since....on my LS430, only two park assist sensors in the same 1 1/2 yrs....