Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

M2 has come of age

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 10:09 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Looks awesome. M2 is the real Ultimate Driving Machine. Purist of the M's.
Old 04-18-18, 10:13 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
That's your opinion. In my opinion the bloated M3/M4 isn't a true M car, and the S55 engine has the most horrible exhaust note.

I do like the sports seats in the upcoming M2 comp, and the orange color, but other than that the current M2 is a better car.
I'm sorry to break the bad news to you but M cars have never been light weight.
New technology, safety, and government regulations dont allow you to make a 2,000lb sedan.

My M3 weighs about 3,500lbs, seats 4 in comfort, has all features, and can match performance of most sports cars and can be taken to the track. I hope you realize F80 M3 is same size as E39 M5 and weighs much less.

Saying M3 is not an M car well then you might as well say nothing is an M car then as its lighter than all the others.
M2 weighs almost the same and its much smaller.

You may have the old M2 on order and hence you are feeling bitter that new one is so much better. Nobody will agree with you that M2 with N55 is superior car lol.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-18-18 at 10:16 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 10:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rnm gs3
m2 weighs almost the same and its much smaller.
true!!!

Old 04-18-18, 10:23 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I think they did a good job with this love everything about it.
Old 04-18-18, 10:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

New technology, safety, and government regulations dont allow you to make a 2,000lb sedan.

My M3 weighs about 3,500lbs, seats 4 in comfort, has all features, and can match performance of most sports cars and can be taken to the track. I hope you realize F80 M3 is same size as E39 M5 and weighs much less.

Saying M3 is not an M car well then you might as well say nothing is an M car then as its lighter than all the others.

There is more to a car than just weight. The current M3/M4 are so large and bloated, they are hardly sport cars anymore. BMW puts the M badge on a lot of cars these days that are not exactly M cars in the spirit. Nothing against them, they are nice luxury cars with a lot of power, but in the opinion of many the M2 is the only proper M car today.

You may have the old M2 on order and hence you are feeling bitter that new one is so much better. Nobody will agree with you that M2 with N55 is superior car lol.
Nope. I could have easily waited and ordered M2 comp, but I actually prefer the current one. I would love the orange color and the sport seats in the comp model, but the S55 is ruins the car. Sure it adds a bit more power, which is really a moot point since M2 has enough power as is, but it ruins the sound and throws off weight distribution.
Old 04-18-18, 10:32 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

That's really good. The sweet spot for all it has and offers in terms of a viable performance family car.
Old 04-18-18, 10:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
There is more to a car than just weight. The current M3/M4 are so large and bloated, they are hardly sport cars anymore. BMW puts the M badge on a lot of cars these days that are not exactly M cars in the spirit. Nothing against them, they are nice luxury cars with a lot of power, but in the opinion of many the M2 is the only proper M car today.

Nope. I could have easily waited and ordered M2 comp, but I actually prefer the current one. I would love the orange color and the sport seats in the comp model, but the S55 is ruins the car. Sure it adds a bit more power, which is really a moot point since M2 has enough power as is, but it ruins the sound and throws off weight distribution.
You brought up weight lol. M3 is bloated compared to what? What other sedan is more agile, provides the features and refinement and performance? None
M3 has grown through the years but weight actually is less then E9x.

S55 is a superior motor, The cooling alone is worth it.
It makes a LOT more power and is a twin turbo motor unlike the N55.

Your M2 doesn't even have a true dual exhaust. Come on lets focus on facts not which sounds better or looks nicer etc which is all subjective. The new M2 is better in every measurable way.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 04-18-18 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 11:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

You brought up weight lol. M3 is bloated compared to what? What other sedan is more agile, provides the features and refinement and performance? None
M3 has grown through the years but weight actually is less then E9x.

S55 is a superior motor, The cooling alone is worth it.
It makes a LOT more power and is a twin turbo motor unlike the N55.

Your M2 doesn't even have a true dual exhaust. Come on lets focus on facts not which sounds better or looks nicer etc which is all subjective. The new M2 is better in every measurable way.

Power and performance are not everything, especially when they don't translate into "fun to drive", which is where BMW is severely lacking these days, and what M cars are supposed to be about. I'm far from the only who criticizes the new M3/M4 - many enthusiasts and many in automotive press share my opinion. And I am certainly not the only one who isn't trilled about S55 engine making its way to the refreshed M2 - after all there was a reason why BMW didn't use it from the get go.

Again, the only reason they are putting the S55 into the M2 is because they can no longer pass emissions with N55. It will add weight, and make the M2 front heavier.
Old 04-18-18, 11:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I agree with you, there's no way a M3 is not an M. Again, a C430 AMG is not a AMG, a M235i is not an M, nor is a M760Li. But the M3 is simply almost like New York namely Manhattan--the center of the universe. Doesn't mean everyone has to like it, but it's just how it works.

To me, much of the M is the suspension. You can take a 335i (E92) and get some of it, but you can't get all of it. You can even map it to go beyond for HP/TQ, but it's not the same. Go to great lengths to install a limited slip. But the M3 from the factory is the total package. This is one area where it's very difficult for aftermarket to exceed the factory, at least imho.

Pretty sure my 335i is heavier than your M3, and mine does have composite fenders to save weight. It's just heavy for its size.

edit Anyway I was a 2006 330i lover back in summer 2005. I really didn't have my ducks in a row to buy my first (and likely only) BMW, so I wasn't ready for the E90 330i. By the time I was ready there was a 335i out, that rather shocked the E90 world. It was like when apple put out an iPad was it 6 mos. later, much better, same or cheaper price? There were lots of 330 owners who were furious, based on the price of the 335i alone. $40,600, and it was a joke what came standard.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 04-18-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 11:53 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

So are u saying M3 is not fun to drive?

You also feel N55 > S55!

I'm not sure what I can say to those statements lol.

BMW just fixed the things ppl didn't like about current M2 and made it better but i guess you will always have people that can't be happy.
Old 04-18-18, 12:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

So are u saying M3 is not fun to drive?

It is fun to drive, but not as much as M2 or some older M3s.

You also feel N55 > S55!
I feel N55 is better suited for the M2.

BMW just fixed the things ppl didn't like about current M2 and made it better but i guess you will always have people that can't be happy.
I welcome the seats and orange color, but it didnt need the S55.

Old 04-18-18, 12:30 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

My BFAM spent time at the performance center, and he personally enjoyed the 1M more than the E92 M3. But that's preference--I also heard the 1M has gone up in value? dang. You drive the car 7 years, and it's worth 10k more than what you bought it for? Whereas my car lost 35k in value? The bizarre world of M!
Old 04-18-18, 12:40 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

1M is ok - if it wasn't rare then people would have long forgotten about it.
I thinks its a very raw car and some ppl prefer that and feel its special.

E30 M3 is appreciating like crazy as well.
E46 M3 and E39 M5 will start to go up as well especially once Manuals are no longer offered.
Old 04-18-18, 12:44 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

My aunt had a '95 E36 M3 lightweight, just was not practical at all with no a/c and no radio. But imagine if she had held on to it. She got it when it was already sitting in the showroom for almost a year, unsold...I don't know why she did it but she got a E46 M3 with smg.....bad tranny....
Old 04-18-18, 12:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och

It is fun to drive, but not as much as M2 or some older M3s.

I feel N55 is better suited for the M2.

I welcome the seats and orange color, but it didnt need the S55.
I think the E9x M3 is probably more engaging to drive and the NA V8 plus the steering feel were great.
The F8x cars are just so capable and fast that for some people it takes away from the experience.

The N55 is a great engine and i had it in my 535i. Amazing linear power and smooth torque delivery.

The S55 is more brutal like the N54 was and has way more power.
I have 285s in the rear and I break traction all the time even in 3rd/4th gear which is not good bec then the ECU cuts power.

S55 is the better engine hopefully BMW programmed the right way for M2 as to not over power it.

Quick Reply: M2 has come of age