Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Steve Carlisle replaces Johan de Nysschen as head of Cadillac

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 08:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
This guy ruined the Infiniti and Cadillac model naming.
Lol, completely disagree. I like both Infiniti and Cadillac’s much more consistent and distinctive naming these days.

but pinning all the naming stuff on just him is funny too... i’m sure there’s a ton of people involved in these decisions.
Old 09-29-19, 04:44 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I disagree in regards to Infiniti. They had legendary names with G, M, the original Q. This is especially true of G. If I bought a Q50 or Q60 the successor of the G I would rip that badge off so quick and replace it with G badging.
Old 09-29-19, 05:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I disagree in regards to Infiniti. They had legendary names with G, M, the original Q. This is especially true of G. If I bought a Q50 or Q60 the successor of the G I would rip that badge off so quick and replace it with G badging.
Maybe ‘legendary’ names to some enthusiasts, but given infiniti’s tiny sales levels, they weren’t so legendary to the public and i think they felt they needed a reboot.

as for the original q, i’m sure they’d rather forget the original q45 and their disastrous start.

I always remember Jay Leno’s comments on infiniti’s original tv ads (don’t know if you remember them but they didn’t feature any cars in them ). Leno said car sales aren’t great but sales of rocks and trees have skyrocketed.
Old 09-29-19, 06:17 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lol, completely disagree. I like both Infiniti and Cadillac’s much more consistent and distinctive naming these days.

but pinning all the naming stuff on just him is funny too... i’m sure there’s a ton of people involved in these decisions.
Wasn’t Acura the first one to f-up perfectly good naming scheme? Goodbye Legend and Vigor, hello RL and TL...
Old 09-29-19, 07:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by stasek
Wasn’t Acura the first one to f-up perfectly good naming scheme? Goodbye Legend and Vigor, hello RL and TL...
I might be wrong, but I think Infiniti beat them to it. Acura started out with proper names, then switched. Infiniti, from what I remember, never had proper names to start wth.
Old 09-29-19, 07:15 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I might be wrong, but I think Infiniti beat them to it. Acura started out with proper names, then switched. Infiniti, from what I remember, never had proper names to start wth.
That’s true, but at least, as was mentioned above, they had some identity with the G, M, Q, and FX (not unlike BMW with their 3,5,7 series or MB with C,E,S class just to name few).
Old 09-29-19, 07:53 PM
evident
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

That’s true, but at least, as was mentioned above, they had some identity with the G, M, Q, and FX (not unlike BMW with their 3,5,7 series or MB with C,E,S class just to name few).
the only thing I'll remember him for is screwing up Infiniti s perfectly fine naming scheme, along with caddys as well.
Old 09-30-19, 06:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

even though i had and loved 2 legends, i now think those names were bad. legend is too pretentious given acura's product line-up and vigor was just bad, lol.