Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Steve Carlisle replaces Johan de Nysschen as head of Cadillac

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 10:29 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Steve Carlisle replaces Johan de Nysschen as head of Cadillac

Johan de Nysschen, a longtime automotive industry executive, is out the door at Cadillac after four years at the helm of GM's flagship luxury brand. Steve Carlisle will replace de Nysschen as General Motors senior vice president and president, Cadillac. Carlilse previously served as president and managing director of GM Canada. Travis Hester will replace Carlilse in that role, starting immediately.

"We appreciate Johan's efforts over the last four years in setting a stronger foundation for Cadillac," said General Motors President Dan Ammann. That strong foundation is mostly seen overseas. Cadillac has seen record sales in China under de Nysschen's watch, but has continued to flounder in its home market of the United States with market share significantly lower than rival brands like Audi, BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz.

Growth in the U.S. market is mostly happening with crossovers and SUVs, and Cadillac has been trailing its German and Japanese rivals on that front. The brand-new XT4 is seen as a big potential sales booster for the automaker, but its late arrival has already hurt the brand's sales figures here in America.

"Looking forward, the world is changing rapidly, and, beginning with the launch of the new XT4, it is paramount that we capitalize immediately on the opportunities that arise from this rate of change," said Amman. "This move will further accelerate our efforts in that regard."

Carlilse will report directly to Ammann in his role as the head of the Cadillac brand.
Source
Old 04-18-18, 10:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,626 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Interesting. I wonder where he will land next (and rapidly change all model names ).
Old 04-18-18, 10:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Interesting. I wonder where he will land next (and rapidly change all model names ).
....... k-k-k-kia?
Old 04-18-18, 10:48 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

^
K1, K2, K3 etc for sedans like the KDM home market
KX1, KX2, KX3 for SUVs

lol
Old 04-18-18, 11:10 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Good move that guy ruined any momentum that Cadillac had.
What the hell is CT6 stand for and how is it fit with CTS XTS ATS names lol
Old 04-18-18, 12:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I believe that CT stands for "Cadillac Touring."

"X", with many automakers, often means AWD...the XTS was one of the first Cadillac sedans (along with the 2Gen CTS) to offer that feature.
Old 04-18-18, 12:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
....... k-k-k-kia?

Nope.....Kia's doing too well without him. I would be very surprised if he winds up there.

We'll see, but my guess is he retires and plays golf.
Old 04-18-18, 01:40 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

i didn't see that coming. I guess he didn't focus on US sales enough.
Old 04-18-18, 01:40 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
^
K1, K2, K3 etc for sedans like the KDM home market
KX1, KX2, KX3 for SUVs

lol
There is already a Kia K9 sedan, so this naming scheme fits.

But... K2 is the second-highest mountain, second only to Mount Everest. Mount K2 is a mountain in the Canadian province of Alberta.
Old 04-18-18, 02:04 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lincoln has been very impressive as of late with its newest Navigator and the very promising Aviator concept.

Cadillac has yet to succeed in any of its endeavors for a very long time. All its sedans are flops, and the XT5 is really underwhelming. The Escalade sells due to being the only vehicle suiting its niche, not because it's a legitimately good product. And that monopoly seems to be disappearing with Ford finally getting the Navigator right.

Another disappointment has been his inability to attract millennials to the brand. Nobody young aspires to own a Cadillac. When they see those terrible residuals it's enough to warrant never visiting a Cadillac showroom again.
Old 04-18-18, 02:39 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Sulu
There is already a Kia K9 sedan, so this naming scheme fits.

But... K2 is the second-highest mountain, second only to Mount Everest. Mount K2 is a mountain in the Canadian province of Alberta.
True but I was mostly joking. Right but it's called K900 in the North American market. So the 'K' naming scheme wouldn't work here, too associated with Canines.
Old 04-18-18, 02:45 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

How many millennial's are actually buying new cars?
Old 04-18-18, 02:52 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
How many millennial's are actually buying new cars?
Well, lots of millennials may be leasing due to the fact that it's a lot cheaper than financing. Technically, I, in my late 20's, am a millennial and have a car I got new. TBH I think the strategy is kinda stupid - really what they should be aiming for are features that make the cars more convenient to use - that will be appreciated by any generation. What I am talking about could be explained with a simple example - a trunk that opens when you stand behind it and kick your foot under the bumper. Anyone getting groceries or carrying a heavy item can appreciate that. No reason to pander to Millennials - that's why the focus on Android Auto and Apple Carplay is so annoying to me - I'd probably only use them for navigation anyway.
Old 04-18-18, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownPride
Another disappointment has been his inability to attract millennials to the brand. Nobody young aspires to own a Cadillac. When they see those terrible residuals it's enough to warrant never visiting a Cadillac showroom again.
I don't think it is a case of young disliking Cadillac, especially with the publicity that the CTS-V and ATS-V get in the auto press. Many people that age simply can't afford a new vehicle in that price range...indeed, a new vehicle at all. Many are also still living at home with their parents because they don't have their jobs and careers settled. IMO, one cannot blame de Nysschen for that.
Old 04-18-18, 03:55 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
It doesn't "fit in" with those other names because all of those names are going away in favor of CT# and XT#.

At least they didn't change all the names at once like Infiniti--I still don't know all the model "conversion" names there...

Quick Reply: Steve Carlisle replaces Johan de Nysschen as head of Cadillac