Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Man Cancels Wedding After Bride to Be Demands Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 11:03 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Man Cancels Wedding After Bride to Be Demands Lexus

Man Cancels Wedding After Bride to Be Demands Lexus
By Brett Foote

We've heard of some crazy prenuptial agreements, but this takes things to a whole new level!

Old 04-23-18, 11:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

If brides were smart, they'd demand the GIA paperwork for the engagement ring. Too many grooms pass off large poorly cut stones and the brides don't seemingly know the 4C's!
Old 04-23-18, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

IMO he did exactly the right thing. If a marriage depends on a car, something is either wrong with it or WILL be wrong with it.
Old 04-23-18, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Its a cultural thing. In many cultures a marriage is considered a business arrangement that involves a dowry. How is asking for a car any different than asking for land, or money, etc?
Old 04-23-18, 03:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its a cultural thing. In many cultures a marriage is considered a business arrangement that involves a dowry. How is asking for a car any different than asking for land, or money, etc?
I think you partially answered you own question. You can marry for love, or for business. In the culture I grew up with, it's the former.
Old 04-23-18, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think you partially answered you own question. You can marry for love, or for business. In the culture I grew up with, it's the former.
But commenting on the practices of another culture from your own lens of your own culture doesn't make any sense.

I know lots of people in business oriented arranged marriages that are typical in their culture who are very happy and have been married a long time. Initially the strength of the dowry was a huge consideration in their family's selection of an appropriate spouse, as was the prospective spouse's income, future prospects, profession, etc. Why is one spouse asking for a car different from another asking for $100,000? There will always be a dowry.

It may not make sense to you or me, but best not to comment on the decisions made by people in regards to their own culture.
Old 04-23-18, 03:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You should not be asking for any material or financial things when you get married, it should be based on love, respect, trust, and companionship, not a car, or money/land. The groom did the right thing, get rid of that gold digger before you marry her and she takes half your stuff and ruins your life in a ugly divorce.
Old 04-23-18, 03:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
You should not be asking for any material or financial things when you get married, it should be based on love, respect, trust, and companionship, not a car, or money/land. The groom did the right thing, get rid of that gold digger before you marry her and she takes half your stuff and ruins your life in a ugly divorce.
Thats our viewpoint from our culture, but that’s just not the way it works in cultures such as the one the person discussed in the article is a part of.
Old 04-23-18, 09:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Should have said honey, we'll meet in the middle I'll buy you a Toyota. Then right before the vows give her this.

Man Cancels Wedding After Bride to Be Demands Lexus-r3lluut.jpg
Old 04-23-18, 09:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Should have said honey, we'll meet in the middle I'll buy you a Toyota. Then right before the vows give her this.

Perfect!
Old 04-23-18, 10:38 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I want to know the results to that suit!
Old 04-24-18, 08:47 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

When I was young, I fell in lust many times. Now that I am old(er), I see the wisdom of having the parents take a major role in the determination of a mate.

The lust aspect, while delicious, will fade in time. I can remember my college roommate from Singapore telling me that the parents have a better handle on compatibility and future stability for a new family.

But a car as part of the deal? If I had a say, it would be land. Not, for heaven's sake, a car. Think "Giant" (the movie). Bic Benedict was right.
Old 04-24-18, 09:20 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
IMO he did exactly the right thing. If a marriage depends on a car, something is either wrong with it or WILL be wrong with it.
+1. Groom to be was smart man. Real marriage does not depend on material things. We married in the spring of 1970. Have two grown up kids. Material things never bothered us.

Last edited by Htony; 04-24-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-24-18, 01:15 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,159 Likes on 855 Posts

Entirely up to the dude to decide if this a reasonable request based on their relationship, culture and mutual understanding. Personally, I would've done the same if its an ultimatum type of request because its the thought process that is involved (maybe for her its more to "show" that he could do that for her and that helps the ex-bride feel better about things).

But what I did like is that she was up front and said "i want a Lexus..." - that is being honest from the onset and at least it shows that she has decent taste in cars
Old 04-24-18, 03:03 PM
beer
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

where is the original link to a news article? I do not see one?

Quick Reply: Man Cancels Wedding After Bride to Be Demands Lexus