Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar may kill supercharged V6 to make way for inline-six

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Jaguar may kill supercharged V6 to make way for inline-six

Tougher emissions testing in Europe prompts the switch

This could be the last year to score a Jaguar with the carmaker's 3.0-liter supercharged V6. Autocar reports that Jaguar deep-sixed the the XE S and XF S in the UK due to poor sales and difficulty coping with European emissions regulation changes taking place this year. The mag expects the XJ and F-Pace to lose the V6, too, but suspects the F-Type might retain the engine. It's possible, however, the bent-six with up to 380 horsepower and 339 pound-feet of torque might finally be retiring for a reason reported on for at least three years: To make way for a 3.0-liter inline-six from the Ingenium line of motors.

In 2015, Motor Trend noted the supercharged V6 would die at the end of 2016, succeeded by a "more powerful Ingenium inline-six," likely to be turbocharged. One year later, Car laid out a new family of Ingenium inline-sixes in gasoline and diesel versions. There would be three gas options with 300, 400, and 500 horsepower, plus three diesels with 275, 335, and 400 hp and herds of torque. In Car's report, the engines were meant to be here in 2017. This could be the year it finally happens.

A Jaguar spokesman in the UK told Autocar that an uptake of less than 2 percent on the S models, "Coupled with impending emissions regulation changes, it makes sense to remove these variants from sale in the UK." When Jalopnik asked Jaguar U.S. about availability here — we aren't a party to the imminent European emissions changes — the carmaker would only say that the engine remains available in the current XE, XF, XJ, F-Type and F-Pace.

No matter the timeline, Jaguar would want a six-cylinder to fill the gap from the 296-hp Ingenium 2.0-liter four-cylinder to the supercharged 5.0-liter V8 that starts at 470 hp. Jaguar expanded an area of its Wolverhampton, UK, engine factory to build the scalable Ingenium line. An inline-six would not only reconnect with Jaguar's past — and the firm's long-hooded cars remain ready to swallow them — the straight-six is lighter, has fewer moving parts, and emits less pollution than the supercharged V6. It is also compatible with front-, rear- and all-wheel drive, longitudinal and transverse mounting, and hybrid applications, so expect to see the motor migrate to the Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, and Land Rover Discovery.
Source
Old 04-26-18, 07:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Love inline 6s and Jaguar used to make some great ones back in the day.

Good to see MB and now Jaguar get back to the straight 6s.
Hopefully Toyota will one day build a 2JZ successor.
Old 04-27-18, 10:24 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Jaguar and Aston Martin both made a mean straight-six back in the day
Old 01-07-22, 03:20 PM
Xasered
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I did not find the days when Yamaha was engaged in producing parts for the automotive industry. I think they would have been able to create impressive machines if consumers were willing to buy their products.
Old 01-07-22, 04:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Xasered
Unfortunately, I did not find the days when Yamaha was engaged in producing parts for the automotive industry. I think they would have been able to create impressive machines if consumers were willing to buy their products.

Welcome to CL as a new poster, but are you sure you chose the right thread? This apparently is not connected with Yamaha.
Old 01-08-22, 05:18 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I like the supercharged V6, as my F Pace has one. For a newer car with low miles, it sure puts out a lot of fumes from the exhaust compared to my Lexus’ and BMW.

I would love to see the inline 6 return.
Old 01-08-22, 07:14 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I would love to see the inline 6 return.
It's already replaced the V6 at JLR. The Ingenium I6 is currently in the F-Pace and most of the Land Rover lineup.
Old 01-08-22, 09:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I know the 2JZ is legendary, but I have to say the one experience I had in a 1990 Lexus ES250 was mind-blowing. Floored it from a stop and on the freeway and the motor didn't make a single peep. All the way to redline and it was super smooth and silent. I will never forget that one test. (I assume that was Lexus's first 2.5 V6, before the different one I had in my IS250.)

If something like that every comes around again, sign me up for the refinement.
Old 01-09-22, 09:00 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Motorola
It's already replaced the V6 at JLR. The Ingenium I6 is currently in the F-Pace and most of the Land Rover lineup.
Oh! I’ll have to check them out this week. I have to take the F-Pace in for service in a few days.
Old 01-10-22, 02:51 PM
Qasered
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I did not find the days when Yamaha was engaged in producing parts for the automotive industry. I think they would have been able to create impressive machines if consumers were willing to buy their products. Although there are many examples in the history of marketing when a company that entered another market sector failed. For example, a toothpaste company decided to bottle milk but did not profit. By the way, do you think it's worth looking for cars with Yamaha engines nowadays? It would be possible to put it in order because the basic auto detailing service is $20-$150.
Old 01-10-22, 03:36 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
Oh! I’ll have to check them out this week. I have to take the F-Pace in for service in a few days.
The real crime was not putting the I6 in the XF.