Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are online license plate searches legal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 09:49 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Are online license plate searches legal?

For whatever reason, I did not think that I could just grab your plate, then find out who you are and where you live, etc. For kicks, I entered one of mine and it came back with proper make/model/year. Then I could get it free for 5 days, or pay for a subscription.

I had thought that only law enforcement could look this information up, for obvious reasons.

Lots of info out there on the web, as mentioned I accidentally found that my elderly former uncle had 2 marriage licenses (City of NY) with two different women, which would support my suspicion that my cousins have half brothers and sisters out there in the big city...
Old 04-26-18, 10:35 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

If you think that's fun, go to your county assessor's website and search for your name.

If you own property you'll probably find it.

California is the only state to my knowledge that protects property owners' privacy.
Old 04-26-18, 03:41 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah. it's scary. all kinds of info up for sale.

you pretty much have to hide behind LLCs and have cars registered as company cars.
Old 04-27-18, 03:17 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
yeah. it's scary. all kinds of info up for sale.

you pretty much have to hide behind LLCs and have cars registered as company cars.
we'll all be id'd via blockchain, ... the world is becoming the borg. I'm thinking about moving into the rainforest and start a tribe. I'll need some hot volunteers to build the population.
Old 04-27-18, 05:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
If you think that's fun, go to your county assessor's website and search for your name.

If you own property you'll probably find it.

California is the only state to my knowledge that protects property owners' privacy.
When I purchased my house in 2002, I was naive. Heck, I was young. lol

My coworker asks me how much I paid. So I told him. Then he goes, that's right--he has my deed from the county up on his monitor. So he was testing me to see if I would possibly exaggerate the price. A couple months later, my boss had clipped something from the newspaper showing the sale and what was paid. So this much I do know...but as of yesterday, the license plate thing was a surprise. As of 2 weeks ago, I didn't know it would take < 60 sec. to find NYC marriage licenses. Maybe if you want to mess around, don't get your license to marry, in a large city. I don't think you can search as easily if it were a marriage license issued outside the City of New York. You could have gotten a license in East Bumbum, NY, and gotten married in NYC. Then, your certificate would be in Albany, and not searchable from what I can see. It takes somebody putting the public records together into a database, and for NYC, there is interest....and it's free to search. Try it, you may find lots of guys who had licenses for mutliple women, this kind of stuff seems to be all over the news now.

Again, I was clueless you could do that with registrations....why should DMV records be public...
Old 04-27-18, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
we'll all be id'd via blockchain, ... the world is becoming the borg. I'm thinking about moving into the rainforest and start a tribe. I'll need some hot volunteers to build the population.
Better move quick. In a few years there might not be any rainforest left.
Old 04-28-18, 02:48 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
For whatever reason, I did not think that I could just grab your plate, then find out who you are and where you live, etc. For kicks, I entered one of mine and it came back with proper make/model/year. Then I could get it free for 5 days, or pay for a subscription.

I had thought that only law enforcement could look this information up, for obvious reasons.

Lots of info out there on the web, as mentioned I accidentally found that my elderly former uncle had 2 marriage licenses (City of NY) with two different women, which would support my suspicion that my cousins have half brothers and sisters out there in the big city...
This is something I saw on one of those search sites:

Frequently Asked Questions

Do these reports come directly from government agencies?The information in our reports come from private databases. In many cases, these private databases acquire information that was released by government agencies, but the information does not come directly from government agencies.
Makes sense. There's so much info about everyone out there for sale nowadays, why wouldn't it include your plate number?