Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

All quiet on the Hyundai front

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-18, 02:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default All quiet on the Hyundai front

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1HX0JA

Wow. Not much talk about Hyundai on here the last week or so.

Just thought I would point out that first quarter profit is about half as much compared to last quarter. Sales are down in both US and China.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-29-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-29-18, 02:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

This tells you all you need to know.

The lackluster results serve as a reminder of how Hyundai, which has been in the red for five years, continues to struggle due to its heavy reliance on sedan sales and slow response to rising demand for sport utility vehicles (SUVs) in China and the United States, the world’s top two auto markets.

Hyundai has sharply lowered production at its U.S. factory to cut supply of unpopular sedans like the Elantra and Sonata, leading to the first-quarter earnings slump, the analyst said.

He estimated Hyundai’s U.S. factory ran below 70 percent of its capacity, and will remain sluggish until it starts making the next-generation Santa Fe SUV by as early as May.

Hyundai has already launched the Kona SUV in the United States, its third-biggest market after China and South Korea, but that has not been able to offset the slack in sedan sales.
Who knows, maybe the Elantra and Sonata's days are numbered . Ford announcing the axing of several sedans might be a domino effect in the near future for other automakers. Their website shows a whole bunch of 'coming soon' vehicles which are hatches, SUVs, alterniative powertrains. but not ready, so that does not help Hyundai get out of the red.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/
Old 04-29-18, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Any thoughts?
In a word, they seem to be suffering the same sedan-malaise in the U.S. that is also affecting other automakers.

(Only Hoovey just beat me to actually posting it LOL)

A perfect example: one of my neighbors just came home last week with a new white Santa Fe, after trading in her old 1Gen Santa Fe. (I don't have a cell-phone shot yet, but will shortly). Another one of my neighbors, at the other end of our housing development (the only person I ever knew who actually owned a Hyundai Azera) traded it in several months ago (I don't remember what replaced it) and then moved away.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-18 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-29-18, 04:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Any thoughts?
sure. my thought is you love to post anything pointing out how 'badly' hyundai is doing.

as we've discussed over and over, they have the wrong product mix for the u.s., plus until recently they have had a massive over reliance on fleet sales. they've cut fleet sales massively, and the product mix change is hugely demanding. it's also quite likely that hyundai's domestic market is different or in a different stage than the u.s. and so that makes change hard too.

but things i know...

1) the product line will change and adapt
2) there will be more utes, electrification and less sedans
3) you will continue to gleefully post articles with any mention of challenges hyundai might be dealing with
Old 04-29-18, 05:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sure. my thought is you love to post anything pointing out how 'badly' hyundai is doing.
.............especially after you just did your part to help keep Genesis sales (and the sedan market) going.
Old 04-29-18, 06:46 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

I was driving my BRZ on Saturday on the highway in Brooklyn (3 lanes) on each side, at one point I was literally the only car surrounded by SUVs. Its also large SUVs like 4runner, Pilot, Highlander, lifted Wranglers then you have the pickups....Its like back to the days when the Hummer H2, Tahoes and Escalades were all the rage.

After the Ford news I started to pay more attention on the SUV to car ratio and its really bad for the cars.

A BIG market correction is coming folks. When, not if, the economy starts to go down - cars especially cheap economy ones will be back in vogue.
Old 04-29-18, 07:26 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Hyundai and Kia made some excellent looking car during 2010-2015 period, but fast forward nine years, lot of the cars from that period has developed serious engine problems(burning oil, putting a hole through the block problems) with less than 100,000 miles. Which I believe made the first time customers to the brand very sour, making them abandon the brand. I believe, they also had the highest sales during this time period.
Old 04-29-18, 07:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

In my view, the facelifted Sonata is less attractive than the smoother outgoing model. Front accessories are oddly shaped. Not helping the situation.
Old 04-30-18, 04:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by john341
Hyundai and Kia made some excellent looking car during 2010-2015 period, but fast forward nine years, lot of the cars from that period has developed serious engine problems(burning oil, putting a hole through the block problems) with less than 100,000 miles. Which I believe made the first time customers to the brand very sour, making them abandon the brand. I believe, they also had the highest sales during this time period.

If it is less than 10 years from the original date of sale, and the ownership of the vehicle has not changed hands outside of the immediate family, then the Hyundai/Kia warranty should cover those engine problems up to 100,000 miles....even to the point of a new engine, if needed. That has been a strong selling point for some time now.
Old 04-30-18, 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
.............especially after you just did your part to help keep Genesis sales (and the sedan market) going.
i never consider getting a vehicle as 'doing my part' - i'm not welfare for hyundai.

i get what i like, if a brand struggles or fails, oh well.
Old 04-30-18, 07:27 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

as we've discussed over and over, they have the wrong product mix for the u.s., plus until recently they have had a massive over reliance on fleet sales. they've cut fleet sales massively, and the product mix change is hugely demanding. it's also quite likely that hyundai's domestic market is different or in a different stage than the u.s. and so that makes change hard too.

but things i know...

1) the product line will change and adapt
2) there will be more utes, electrification and less sedans
3) you will continue to gleefully post articles with any mention of challenges hyundai might be dealing with
Let's drop the personal commentary please and keep this about the vehicles.
Old 04-30-18, 07:29 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,825 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
In my view, the facelifted Sonata is less attractive than the smoother outgoing model. Front accessories are oddly shaped. Not helping the situation.
Agreed. I actually really dug the pre-facelift Sonata. Had one as a rental once and overall liked the way it drove, too. Maybe a bit more of a "boring" interior but plenty comfy and plenty responsive too. Could have been quieter I guess. Hopefully the looks don't turn people away from what are decent cars. FWIW, the Elantra looks pretty good still, at least. But as others have stated, CUVs are really hot at the moment with most buyers.
Old 04-30-18, 09:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i never consider getting a vehicle as 'doing my part' - i'm not welfare for hyundai.

i get what i like, if a brand struggles or fails, oh well.

Just being facetious.....I wasn't using that term literally.
Old 04-30-18, 07:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
This tells you all you need to know.

Who knows, maybe the Elantra and Sonata's days are numbered . Ford announcing the axing of several sedans might be a domino effect in the near future for other automakers. Their website shows a whole bunch of 'coming soon' vehicles which are hatches, SUVs, alterniative powertrains. but not ready, so that does not help Hyundai get out of the red.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/
I dont understand the comments about Hyundai's lack of SUVs? Maybe they are not competitive for whatever reason in US market, but they have 4 SUVs under $30k. Kia sort of has 4 CUVs, so total of 8 between them.

Other than that, lineup got old in the US and they did not manage it well. Genesis got launched with all-sedan lineup in SUV market.
And of course China - with Chinese boycotting South Korean products, it is not easy.

As someone else mentioned, they did get stuck a bit on quality front, they are likely not getting those return customers.
Old 05-02-18, 08:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/05/u-...enesis-models/

so it appears Hyundai will allow Hyundai dealers to sell Genesis models.

Quick Reply: All quiet on the Hyundai front