Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any possible recourse for negligence by lexus dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 05:39 PM
t1gz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
How can a treadwear warranty be "below the threshold" for the warranty? The warranty is that the tread will last at least X miles. If you get down to 2/32nds before you hit X miles, you are saying the warranty doesn't apply? That makes no sense. That's an exclusion for a road hazard warranty, not treadwear.
Logically you are correct but since this is the auto industry we’re talking about there are a lot of stipulations put in contracts, if i knew my tires were under the threshold i wouldn’t have even brought it to them. I drive everyday i would know if my tires were shot.
Old 05-04-18, 06:36 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,358 Likes on 1,078 Posts

You didn't feel anything funny going on with the Steering, Vibration, Noise, Traction, or in the Rain, with Tires worn to the nylon belt? Are am I missing something here? And 232, 3/32 is almost Bald Tires.
Old 05-04-18, 07:18 PM
t1gz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jgscott
You didn't feel anything funny going on with the Steering, Vibration, Noise, Traction, or in the Rain, with Tires worn to the nylon belt? Are am I missing something here? And 232, 3/32 is almost Bald Tires.
I only heard heavier road noise after the first dealer put on the wrong tires. Tires were far from bald on 90% of the tire.
Old 05-04-18, 09:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

My guess is the “warranty” you’re talking about is a tire and wheel warranty you bought when you bought the car. The Lexus bumper to bumper warranty won’t cover tires or damage from blowouts, etc. That warranty does have a minimum tread depth for replacement.

Vehicle warranties dont cover tires. If you have an issue soon after purchase that might be one thing, but not at 13k miles.
Old 05-05-18, 07:01 AM
t1gz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
My guess is the “warranty” you’re talking about is a tire and wheel warranty you bought when you bought the car. The Lexus bumper to bumper warranty won’t cover tires or damage from blowouts, etc. That warranty does have a minimum tread depth for replacement.

Vehicle warranties dont cover tires. If you have an issue soon after purchase that might be one thing, but not at 13k miles.
Yes i know all this my issue is that the dealer lied on a multipoint inspection made me paid for 2 front tires when most likely it was they measured the front as backs and backs as fronts. Either way the dealership let me drive off in a very dangerous situation for me and my family to drive in and there should be some sort of accountability
Old 05-05-18, 07:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by t1gz

Yes i know all this my issue is that the dealer lied on a multipoint inspection made me paid for 2 front tires when most likely it was they measured the front as backs and backs as fronts. Either way the dealership let me drive off in a very dangerous situation for me and my family to drive in and there should be some sort of accountability
What do you mean you "know" this is your issue? I posted before that tire mfg warranties do not apply to OEM purchases, and you said I was wrong. A dealer wheel and tire "warranty" is very different, and THOSE do not apply when you are below a certain threshold because they are road hazard warranties, not treadwear warranties.
Old 05-05-18, 10:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

not understanding what you mean by not oem on a new car purchase. My cars 2 years old, i’ve had 3 tires replaced through warranty no issues. Even on my last visit i remember being told it’s below the threshold for warranty i was given a free replacement because 2/32 and 3/32 isn’t that far off. and especially when it a lexus issue they should’ve fixed the issue instead of waiting for a class action lawsuit to arise. This was just a case of negligence and a ****ty service advisor trying to make a bonus for the month. I doubt she even knows a thing about cars.
so you already had tires replaced under warranty? It is confusing.

Also, if they mounted tires wrongly, it was only done for a day, right? It would not have caused wear during one day.
Old 05-05-18, 10:19 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I was confused about that too.

Seemed the tires were already replaced before under Warranty But I also don't understand how not aware you are driving around on tires worn down to the belts and not notice anything or check them periodically, or seen when getting oil changes or checking your tire pressure or such. This seems it would be just as, or more Dangerous that one size off New Tires installed.

Last edited by jgscott; 05-05-18 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-05-18, 10:23 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I only heard heavier road noise after the first dealer put on the wrong tires. Tires were far from bald on 90% of the tire.
Ok, didn't you say they showed you in the Shop that the Tires you drove in there on were worn down to Nylon Belt???? That's Bald last time I knew of measures.
Old 05-05-18, 02:02 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,800 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
What do you mean you "know" this is your issue? I posted before that tire mfg warranties do not apply to OEM purchases, and you said I was wrong. A dealer wheel and tire "warranty" is very different, and THOSE do not apply when you are below a certain threshold because they are road hazard warranties, not treadwear warranties.
Honestly, I think you misunderstood the post. He missed a comma, which made it sound like he knew about an issue or something to that effect. What he means is "I know. My issue is... etc".

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus AWD (not part time 2WD) you are supposed to change all four tires as per spec. You are not supposed to just change or two tires. You can throw the AWD system out of whack.
Interesting. At about 9,000 miles, I had a tire get punctured. My dealership just replaced that one tire. I asked specifically if there would be any driving or wear issues, and he said no, it's been done before, etc. I just checked my tread depths, and the tire that was replaced has only about 1/32" more tread... maybe I was lucky?
Old 05-06-18, 04:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Honestly, I think you misunderstood the post. He missed a comma, which made it sound like he knew about an issue or something to that effect. What he means is "I know. My issue is... etc".
Thanks, but that's exactly how I read it.