Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Any possible recourse for negligence by lexus dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-18, 10:18 AM
t1gz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any possible recourse for negligence by lexus dealership?

Hey guys not sure where to put this but i recently had a very bad experience at a lexus service center and was looking for advice on what i could do. Long post but need some serious advice.

I went in for a tire change through warranty (blown out tire from a pot hole). Was told i needed 2 tires replace due to toe wear and none were covered under warranty due to the treads being 2/32” (3/32” is the max wear for warranty.) So after questioning why my car a 2016 with 13k miles on it needs new tires. I was ask by the advisor if i was doing burnouts. Very professional question to be asking. Next i asked what choice do i have now that my car is on your lift. I was told i do have a choice, they can put my old tires back on and i can go elsewhere. I sucked it up and paid for 2 front tires and and an alignment. This process took 4 hours total, left with a salty taste in my mouth but glad to be out of there.

The next day I see that my Check AWD Light is on, so i look at the tires and realized they mounted the wrong size tires on my car, upset i contacted lexus corporate and said i needed this issue fixed but i’m not going back to that dealership. I take it to a more affluent dealership who agreed to take on the responsibility of fixing another dealerships fault. I asked the manager at this dealership if they would’ve covered it since my car is under 2 years old and tires only had 13k miles on it and he stated they would’ve. Then I was quickly informed to follow the tech to my car to show me that my rear tires were bald and you can see white nylon. I have the inspection print out from the original dealership stating my back tires had 6/32” left. Now i’m out money for 4 tires none which were covered under warranty.

I feel very cheated and disrespected by what should be a luxury brand company. Is there anything i can do beside complain to corporate? There has to be some type of accountability from Lexus. If they had put the wrong tires on, i would’ve went on thinking i had plenty of tread left on my rear tires. I could’ve blown out both tires easily with the condition they were in.

Old 05-03-18, 12:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I'd reach out to the GM of the dealership and Lexus Customer Service.
Old 05-03-18, 12:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Lexus AWD (not part time 2WD) you are supposed to change all four tires as per spec. You are not supposed to just change or two tires. You can throw the AWD system out of whack.

As for the service. That is unfortunate. Usually tire wear is not covered by Lexus. But the manufacturer of the tire is supposed to cover them.

Do have a question. What type of AWD Lexus do you have? What type of original tires did you have? Some newer Lexus models state on the window sticker that tires may not last past a certain mileage point
Old 05-03-18, 12:16 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Lexus AWD (not part time 2WD) you are supposed to change all four tires as per spec. You are not supposed to just change or two tires. You can throw the AWD system out of whack.

As for the service. That is unfortunate. Usually tire wear is not covered by Lexus. But the manufacturer of the tire is supposed to cover them.

Do have a question. What type of AWD Lexus do you have? What type of original tires did you have? Some newer Lexus models state on the window sticker that tires may not last past a certain mileage point
Yup. Both my GS and IS had that:

Old 05-03-18, 12:18 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The way lexus mounts the wheels on the IS and GS makes them eat through tires fast.

You'll have uneven wear, and if any part of the tread is below a certain level, it will likely nullify the warranty.

I was always mad when other people would report way way better tread life on tirerack. But our tires are mounted wonky, and not perfectly vertical and straight, which would otherwise get you 50000 miles claimed by the tire maker.

I also doubt a few /32 of an inch will throw off an AWD system. I think it's smarter than that.
That would be ridiculous to have to change 4 tires every time one is damaged.
Old 05-03-18, 12:24 PM
t1gz
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2016 is350 F Sport, equipped with Bridgestone Turanza EL400 225/40-18 in the front and 255/35-18 for the rears. I voiced my opinion on why they couldn’t cover it under manufacturers warranty and didn’t even get a condescending response just silence. Also was not told i should replace all 4 tires. A good dealer trying to retain customers would’ve done something to help me out instead of upselling their products.

Last edited by t1gz; 05-03-18 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-03-18, 12:27 PM
t1gz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pman6
The way lexus mounts the wheels on the IS and GS makes them eat through tires fast.

You'll have uneven wear, and if any part of the tread is below a certain level, it will likely nullify the warranty.

I was always mad when other people would report way way better tread life on tirerack. But our tires are mounted wonky, and not perfectly vertical and straight, which would otherwise get you 50000 miles claimed by the tire maker.

I also doubt a few /32 of an inch will throw off an AWD system. I think it's smarter than that.
That would be ridiculous to have to change 4 tires every time one is damaged.

They put the wrong profile tire on, they put a 45-18 instead of the 40-18 throwing off the revolutions per hour also messing up the odometer / awd system for i drove it like that for long enough. I could be wrong but that’s all the info i have gotten from this forum with those who’ve had the same issue
Old 05-03-18, 12:35 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

why didn't you take it back to the original dealer and have them put the correct tires on before going to another dealer?

you didn't ask to see the tires while it was on the lift (or off?) I don't trust anything a dealer tells me.
Old 05-03-18, 12:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by t1gz

They put the wrong profile tire on, they put a 45-18 instead of the 40-18 throwing off the revolutions per hour also messing up the odometer / awd system for i drove it like that for long enough. I could be wrong but that’s all the info i have gotten from this forum with those who’ve had the same issue
What model car?
Old 05-03-18, 01:06 PM
t1gz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bagwell
why didn't you take it back to the original dealer and have them put the correct tires on before going to another dealer?

you didn't ask to see the tires while it was on the lift (or off?) I don't trust anything a dealer tells me.
yeah was a brain fart by me. pretty sure it’s designed this way when they make you wait 2 hours, you just want to get out of there asap

I spoke with a lexus corporate rep who told me to go to the new dealership of my choosing to get a inspection of the car so they can verify the issue from the original dealership

What model car?
3is
Old 05-03-18, 01:41 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

glad they're being responsive and helping you.
Old 05-03-18, 01:49 PM
t1gz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bagwell
glad they're being responsive and helping you.
yeah they have been good so far in replying just wishing for a better outcome than me getting footed the bill when everything that has happened has been so shady. I’ve owned Honda’s, Fords, Chevy’s and Acura’s before. I would’ve never expected it from Lexus to be so half assed in customer service and technical service.
Old 05-04-18, 06:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2016 is350 F Sport, equipped with Bridgestone Turanza EL400 225/40-18 in the front and 255/35-18 for the rears. I voiced my opinion on why they couldn’t cover it under manufacturers warranty and didn’t even get a condescending response just silence. Also was not told i should replace all 4 tires. A good dealer trying to retain customers would’ve done something to help me out instead of upselling their products.
The mfg tire warranty usually only applies for replacement tires, not OEM on a new car purchase.
Old 05-04-18, 02:08 PM
t1gz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tex2670
The mfg tire warranty usually only applies for replacement tires, not OEM on a new car purchase.
not understanding what you mean by not oem on a new car purchase. My cars 2 years old, i’ve had 3 tires replaced through warranty no issues. Even on my last visit i remember being told it’s below the threshold for warranty i was given a free replacement because 2/32 and 3/32 isn’t that far off. and especially when it a lexus issue they should’ve fixed the issue instead of waiting for a class action lawsuit to arise. This was just a case of negligence and a ****ty service advisor trying to make a bonus for the month. I doubt she even knows a thing about cars.
Old 05-04-18, 05:29 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

not understanding what you mean by not oem on a new car purchase. My cars 2 years old, i’ve had 3 tires replaced through warranty no issues. Even on my last visit i remember being told it’s below the threshold for warranty i was given a free replacement because 2/32 and 3/32 isn’t that far off. and especially when it a lexus issue they should’ve fixed the issue instead of waiting for a class action lawsuit to arise. This was just a case of negligence and a ****ty service advisor trying to make a bonus for the month. I doubt she even knows a thing about cars.
How can a treadwear warranty be "below the threshold" for the warranty? The warranty is that the tread will last at least X miles. If you get down to 2/32nds before you hit X miles, you are saying the warranty doesn't apply? That makes no sense. That's an exclusion for a road hazard warranty, not treadwear.

Quick Reply: Any possible recourse for negligence by lexus dealership?