Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GX or RX

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 01:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker9
Wife is asking for a Lexus SUV. She wants a smooth, comfortable, and safe vehicle. I will be the driver so I want the vehicle that is easy to drive smoothly (it's impossible to do that in my GS). I also want up-to-date safety techs. It will do a lot of short trips in the city. This will be a Canadian vehicle.
Please advise. Thanks in advance.
RX has nice safety system standard, and it is actually pretty capable.
Old 05-04-18, 05:08 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 870 Likes on 603 Posts

A big complaint with the GX is the rear barn door. I work out of my GX and when it is pouring down rain it sucks, the commanding driver/passenger height is nice.
Old 05-06-18, 01:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,584 Posts

i'm amazed lexus still sells as many gx as they do... it's just so quirky, old, and inefficient. now if i was going through streams, mud, and deep snow, yeah, i might get it over the rx, but other than that, rx is a no brainer.
Old 05-06-18, 01:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm amazed lexus still sells as many gx as they do... it's just so quirky, old, and inefficient. now if i was going through streams, mud, and deep snow, yeah, i might get it over the rx, but other than that, rx is a no brainer.
Or maybe tow a boat that is more than 5000lbs. Or want a V8 which is not possible to get in mid size luxury from any GM or Ford vehicle luxury model. Perhaps someone wants the exclusivity of having real, mechanical AWD. Or maybe a more useable 3rd seat than most of the mid size cross overs. There are real reasons that people like the GX, but for a long distance daily commuting vehicle, it is not ideal.
Old 05-07-18, 03:52 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Received 99 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That's exactly what I was thinking as well. However, a number of reviewers had said that the GX is somehow similar to the last gen LS in smoothness and comfort, so I got thinking that there is no way the RX can match that. Maybe that is the reason they sold a ton of them because not every buyer cared about efficiency, especially when they are not the ones paying for fuel?

Last edited by Lurker9; 05-07-18 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-07-18, 07:09 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks for all feedback. It looks like the RX would win this matchup based on price and more modern platform. I am curious to see which one she would pick based on the perspective of a passenger.
I wouldnt call the RX's platform modern as well. The platform has been around for like 3 or 4 generations already, but ofcourse it gets updated and modified with each new gen. The GX is a completely different feel from crossovers. It feels hefty, strong and solid. Crossovers at the end of the day, its just a hodgepodge of thin sheet metal stamped and welded together. GX has a solid ladder frame that just laughs at anything that comes its way. Drove over a set of railroad tracks during a test drive and I was impressed. The 3rd row was actually MORE useable in the GX than the RX, if it mattered. I couldnt get into the 3rd row at the NY auto show and I'm only 5'8" or 5'9" on a good day. Well I got in, but I was so stuck, I had to climb out from the rear hatch.
Old 05-07-18, 05:00 PM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Wife is asking for a Lexus SUV. She wants a smooth, comfortable, and safe vehicle. I will be the driver so I want the vehicle that is easy to drive smoothly (it's impossible to do that in my GS). I also want up-to-date safety techs. It will do a lot of short trips in the city. This will be a Canadian vehicle.
Please advise. Thanks in advance.
I think I can give some feedback on these two vehicles. I drive the GX most of the time. I drive the RX once in a while but very rare. We did use it for family ride a few times when we got it but decided GX is a better family hauler. IMO...
1. GX feels stable and heavy (in a good way). I like the way it steers. In contrast, the RX feels light and floating. I feel the GX gives me a better feel when turning. The RX gives me the feel like I'm being thrown away. The steering is too light for me. But my wife likes it. She prefers RX if she drives but the GX if she's the passenger.
2. The RX feels more spacious when you seat inside. But my wife likes it better as a passenger in the GX.
3. The RX certainly has better tech's and safety features. But we're not the type that we would do other things in the car more than using it as a car itself. So this is not a big deal for us.
4. Seats are nicer in the RX.
5. The swing door can be inconvenient for some
6. GX is a better vehicle for towing

For me and us (passengers), the GX is the vehicle to go. I don't do off road or similar types of things but I like the GX over the RX. RX is a really nice vehicle for the right group.
Old 05-08-18, 03:32 AM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I think I can give some feedback on these two vehicles. I drive the GX most of the time. I drive the RX once in a while but very rare. We did use it for family ride a few times when we got it but decided GX is a better family hauler. IMO...
1. GX feels stable and heavy (in a good way). I like the way it steers. In contrast, the RX feels light and floating. I feel the GX gives me a better feel when turning. The RX gives me the feel like I'm being thrown away. The steering is too light for me. But my wife likes it. She prefers RX if she drives but the GX if she's the passenger.
2. The RX feels more spacious when you seat inside. But my wife likes it better as a passenger in the GX.
3. The RX certainly has better tech's and safety features. But we're not the type that we would do other things in the car more than using it as a car itself. So this is not a big deal for us.
4. Seats are nicer in the RX.
5. The swing door can be inconvenient for some
6. GX is a better vehicle for towing

For me and us (passengers), the GX is the vehicle to go. I don't do off road or similar types of things but I like the GX over the RX. RX is a really nice vehicle for the right group.
Thanks for this! I think it will be a real close call between the two now.
Old 05-08-18, 07:06 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I may have missed it, but have you done an extensive test drive of both vehicles? We can give you an opinion but your butt test is the most important.
Old 05-08-18, 08:07 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

no problem. I forgot to mention that regardless of all the safety features equipped with the rx, I feel safer when I hop into the gx. Not because of its look but also how it feels. Lastly I never like the rx to be my daily car. I feel it’s a female car. Regardless I’ve seen more female inside the gx
in any case you should ask the dealer to let you keep for a day or two to decide. You need to drive more to see the difference.
Old 05-08-18, 12:09 PM
Lurker9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by situman
I may have missed it, but have you done an extensive test drive of both vehicles? We can give you an opinion but your butt test is the most important.
I have not driven either SUV. Since it's going to be "her Lexus" , we need to go to the test drives together, and it's hard to coordinate our free. I like 1111GS' suggestion of the take-home drives. I have to see if the dealer would allow it.