Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you like crossover SUVs and car-based AWD, here is who you should thank (AMC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-18, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I disagree. This car didn't spur any widespread shift in the market. That car was the first explorer from the '90s.

The 90s-vintage Explorer was a body-on-frame, truck-based SUV, whose mechanicals were taken from the Ford Ranger pickup. That type of SUV, while not extinct, is now limited to just GM, Ford, and only a couple of other automakers.
Old 05-05-18, 03:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Absolutely. No question about it......and they get more blurred all the time. But virtually everything with a unibody and car-based/center-differential AWD goes back to the Eagle, in one form or another. That's the point I'm making with the thread.
And I think it’s flawed. Nothing was blurred when the first RAV4 arrived. It looked like a small baby SUV. The RAV4 was more important.
Old 05-05-18, 03:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

As I understand it, the first Vitaras were also BOF. The later ones were a rebadged version of a crossover GM compact SUV.
Right, first and second generations. I said third generation (Grand) Vitara. This was introduced in 2005 and ran until 2017 in some countries. The third gen went with unibody construction that replaced the ladder-frame. Fourth generation which started in 2015 has retained a unibody.
Old 05-05-18, 03:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

And I think it’s flawed. Nothing was blurred when the first RAV4 arrived. It looked like a small baby SUV. The RAV4 was more important.
The RAV-4, looks-wise, wasn't much different from the two-box Suzuki Sidekick/Chevy-Geo Tracker ten years earlier, in the late 1980s. Its main difference, of course, was in the frame and mechanicals. I do agree, however, that the 90s-vintage Outback/RAV-4/CR-Vs were more important in the long-term, since the market in the 1980s for compact and subcompact SUVs/CUVs was, at that time, still a niche.
Old 05-05-18, 03:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

And the first Sidekicks were body on frame. The third generation known as Vitara was a unibody.
Thanks. Did not know that.
Old 05-05-18, 03:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks. Did not know that.
BOF is one reason why the Suzukis were so good off-road...almost in the same league as the Jeep Wrangler. Their truck-like frame, though, combined with the very stiff suspension and light weight, made them very unpleasant on the highway....they shimmied, shook, and bounced incessantly. The first Geo Tracker I test-drove (a rebadged Sidekick), even with the tires at normal PSI, felt almost like I was sitting on a rocking-horse LOL.
Old 05-05-18, 03:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The RAV-4, looks-wise, wasn't much different from the two-box Suzuki Sidekick/Chevy-Geo Tracker ten years earlier, in the late 1980s. Its main difference, of course, was in the frame and mechanicals. I do agree, however, that the 90s-vintage Outback/RAV-4/CR-Vs were more important in the long-term, since the market in the 1980s for compact and subcompact SUVs/CUVs was, at that time, still a niche.
I get what you are saying about the AMC Eagle. It was RWD based and was dedicated to its purpose from the platform it was on. It was unibody and was somewhat the first cross over. But hardly influential in any way. The RAV4 on the other hand was built off Toyota’s existing car platform and was FWD and was totally different and unique. RAV4 was quite influential.
Old 05-05-18, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I get what you are saying about the AMC Eagle. It was RWD based and was dedicated to its purpose from the platform it was on. It was unibody and was somewhat the first cross over. But hardly influential in any way. The RAV4 on the other hand was built off Toyota’s existing car platform and was FWD and was totally different and unique. RAV4 was quite influential.

At the time.....no, I agree, the Eagle was not influential, except to Audi and Suzuki engineers and designers, who clearly saw the ultimate potential of the easy-to-use, go-anywhere-on-any-surface-at-anytime AWD system and the ingenious (for that era) viscous-silicone center differential. But, no, the Eagle clearly had its faults, a number of which were simply connected to the AMC nameplate itself, which had had a reputation for sub-standard quality for years, though, by the late 1970s, Chrysler, IMO, except for their durable in-line sixes, was even worse.

My point, though, was that the Eagle was 15 years ahead of its time. Its true worth would not be seen until the mid-1990s.
Old 05-07-18, 02:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The 90s-vintage Explorer was a body-on-frame, truck-based SUV, whose mechanicals were taken from the Ford Ranger pickup. That type of SUV, while not extinct, is now limited to just GM, Ford, and only a couple of other automakers.
But the "demand" didn't have anything to do with whether the vehicle was unibody or body on frame (most people have no idea what that means). The Ford Explorer really enhanced the customer demand of an SUV (or whatever the heck you want to call it) that was more family and consumer friendly on the inside--not having the look or feel of a truck inside the cabin, even though it may have been based on a truck. Jeep tried it with the Wagoneer in the 80s, but the idea really took off with the Explorer. Remember that regulations on "light trucks" were different than on cars, including MPG requirements.

And once the demand seemed there, car makers figured out that they could make vehicles that looked like trucks on the outside, but that drove like cars--increasing demand even more.

So it is completely accurate to give Explorer credit for SUV popularity.
Old 05-07-18, 02:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

At the time.....no, I agree, the Eagle was not influential, except to Audi and Suzuki engineers and designers, who clearly saw the ultimate potential of the easy-to-use, go-anywhere-on-any-surface-at-anytime AWD system and the ingenious (for that era) viscous-silicone center differential. But, no, the Eagle clearly had its faults, a number of which were simply connected to the AMC nameplate itself, which had had a reputation for sub-standard quality for years, though, by the late 1970s, Chrysler, IMO, except for their durable in-line sixes, was even worse.

My point, though, was that the Eagle was 15 years ahead of its time. Its true worth would not be seen until the mid-1990s.
Agreed--standard AWD on a run-of-the-mill family car in the early 80s was certainly an "ahead of its time" concept. Ironically, back at a time when station wagons still were the go-to family vehicle.
Old 05-08-18, 07:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
But the "demand" didn't have anything to do with whether the vehicle was unibody or body on frame (most people have no idea what that means). The Ford Explorer really enhanced the customer demand of an SUV (or whatever the heck you want to call it) that was more family and consumer friendly on the inside--not having the look or feel of a truck inside the cabin, even though it may have been based on a truck. Jeep tried it with the Wagoneer in the 80s, but the idea really took off with the Explorer. Remember that regulations on "light trucks" were different than on cars, including MPG requirements.

And once the demand seemed there, car makers figured out that they could make vehicles that looked like trucks on the outside, but that drove like cars--increasing demand even more.

So it is completely accurate to give Explorer credit for SUV popularity.
This is really the truth, Jeep had been trying to get the "mainstream/luxury SUV" thing off the ground for a while, but it wasn't until the Explorer came out in 1991 that it really took hold all in all in a package that kicked off the SUV as a household staple.

As is common, its not the person who pioneered a product or segment of a market that always gets the credit for causing it to really take off, its the person that perfected that product. Great example of this is Apple and the iPod, iTunes, iPhone, etc. Apple didn't invent any of those things as products, the portable music player, MP3 downloadable music, a smart phone in the modern sense, but they perfected the product for the market and caused it to take off.
Old 05-08-18, 08:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

^^^ great posts